cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

nec_v20
Challenger

AGESA 1.0.0.4 B BIOS "upgrade" borked

I just got the GigaByte X570 AURUS XTREME board a couple of days ago.

Before this I had (and have) the GigaByte X470 AURUS Gaming 7 WiFi and I have discussed my experience with this board and the 3600X I have extensively in the thread Definitive guide to configuring the Ryzen 3900X 

Running my 3600X (which I got to gain experience with the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs) I had no problems to speak of on the X470 Board. It was running 1.0.0.3 ABBA BIOS.

When I got the X570 board I flashed the backup BIOS to 1.0.0.3 ABBA (F5b) and the main BIOS to 1.0.0.4 B (F10A)

On the newest BIOS I have had nothing but grief trying to configure the BIOS, even something as innocuous as setting the XMP profile causes the board to go nuts.

I switched over to the secondary BIOS with 1.0.0.3 ABBA BIOS and have no problems with the RAM whatsoever.

The RAM I have is four DIMMS of Team Group Edition TDPGD416G3600HC16ADC01 3600 16-16-16-36 and had absolutely no issues with it - even overclocking it to 3733 16-16-16-32 - on the X470 board.

I looked at the GigaByte site and found others who seem to have problems since "upgrading" their BIOS to the new 1.0.0.4 B version and I have to agree with those who say it is borked.

Whenever I set the XMP profile of the RAM on 1.0.0.4 B, the board goes into a round of what I assume is RAM training when it reboots and at some point just hangs, BIOS error 22 is displayed quite often, but not always.

The problem is that I will be getting the 3950X CPU when it comes out at the end of this month and a pre-requisite for running this CPU according to AMD is the BIOS version 1.0.0.4 B.

0 Likes
7 Replies
nec_v20
Challenger

The 1.0.0.4B is so bad that there are rumours that AMD collaborated with Rockstar Games in the creation of their latest AGESA version 

nec_v20
Challenger

Further investigation (I don't get free stuff from AMD) has led me to surmise, that the problem I have experienced with my one chiplet 3600X (and my friend letting me use TeamViewer to manipulate his 3900X) is that the problem only affects one chiplet CPUs.

Further it appears that the problems are RAM related. Namely setting the RAM speed to 3200 (or in Ryzen Master MCLK and FCLK to 1600) results in the system booting normally, but the totally clean installation of Windows10 Enterprise (1903) I have still reacts incredibly sluggishly and File Explorer has great difficulty accessing my M.2 Storage but at least doesn't crash it as it did with the RAM set to the XMP profile of 3600.

It takes around three minutes for CineBench R20 to load although the results of running the benchmark are in accordance with the RAM speed I have set.

The one and only time my 3600X system runs as it should with AGESA 1.0.0.4 B is at the stock RAM speed of 2400 MHz, without Ryzen Master loaded.

Working via TeamViewer with my friend's computer shows no problems with the RAM set to 3600 and the system behaves as it should and I cannot find any obvious problems and he has not reported any to me since applying AGESA 1.0.0.4 B

Addendum:

I spoke too soon, even at everything set to Default in the BIOS (RAM 2400), the File Explorer still reacts sluggishly, CineBench R20 will load, but crashes when trying to run a benchmark although CineBench R15 when it loads will run the benchmarks, although the results are totally rubbish compared to what I get when switching back to AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA and optimising my system.

0 Likes

I can confirm that my 3900X runs fine on 1.0.0.4B on an X470 motherboard (ASUS Crosshair VII).  No issues to report and RAM is set at CL16 3600MHz with matched FCLK/UCLK.  I do have a single CCD 3700X in an X370 motherboard (ASRock X370 Professional Gaming).  I think 1.0.0.4B beta UEFI is available for it now, but I have not tested it.  I'll give it a try this weekend and see if I note the same sluggish behavior.  

GigaByte brought out a revised version of the AGESA 1.0.0.4 B BIOS version (F10c) and the AGESA 1.0.0.4 B for the GigaByte X470 AURUS Gaming 7 WiFi board I have was extremely delayed compared to earlier BIOS releases and was only made available earlier this week.

0 Likes

I have the ASUS CH7 motherboard with latest update bios 2901 but its AGESA 1.0.0.3.Where did you get the latest AGESA 1.0.0.4 bios from for the Asus ROG Crosshair VII? Can you provide it please I've been trying to find it to test on mine cheers.

I have the WiFi version of the CH7

Many thanks. 

0 Likes

GigaByte are now on the third version of their 1.0.0.4 B AGESA BIOS for my X570 motherboard (X570 AURUS XTREME)

The first version was F10a

The second version was F10c

And now the third version is just called F10.

Many boards I suspect have no received the update to 1.0.0.4 B yet be cause of problems.

The X470 Board I have (X470 Gaming 7 WiFi rev 1.1) only got the update to 1.0.0.4 B on the 27th of November, so less than two weeks ago.

This would suggest that there are still some problems with the latest AGESA update which is still being worked on.

0 Likes
psikotic
Journeyman III

Just got a x570 Xtreme with a 3950x .. was having some massive issues with performance.. and I've tried 'everything' os reinstalls driver updates, amd chipset drivers, alternative power plans. I was running around 8400 +/- 100 at best with the F10 bios. With or without the OC options enabled using XMP just fine. Ended up rolling my bios back to F5B (AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA) I'm with OC mode on ..same fan curve and cooling now getting 9200+/- All things equal there's a massive performance discrepancy with 10.0.0.3 ABBA vs 1.0.0.4B (the earlier version being significantly better. So atleast until I can prove they're fixed their updates I'm having no compatibility issues and the performance is notedly much better, atleast with the x570 Xtreme Aorus mainboard with the 3950x.

0 Likes