Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPYC Discussions

Dmitrii_Bobrovskii
Journeyman III

AOCC for Windows

Hello.

I'm a "lucky" owner of an AMD Ryzen 5950X. I use Windows 11 as a main OS.

Now I want to do 2 things:

1) I want start using AOCC 4.0.0 as a main compiler instead of gcc (currently 12.2.0, mingw).

2) I want build R with BLIS / libFLAME.

Both of these options are not available "from box" - there is no AOCC installation for Windows and there are some problems with assembling Linux AOCC source with 'sh'.

Also I cannot find acceptable manual for building R with AMD MAth libraries. It's reaaly a pain to do something with it. For example, I could attach Intel MKL to R with simpliest actions: copying dlls and renaming. Why it's not possible for AMD AOCL? (((

0 Likes
8 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi @Dmitrii_Bobrovskii ,

Thank you for the query.  For AOCC related support, the AMD Server Gurus community is the right place to post any query/issue, hence I am moving this post there.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Dmitrii_Bobrovskii
Journeyman III

dipak, thank you. Hope, your action will help me. Currently I cannot build R with BLIS with the strange error.

C'mon, AMD guys, you really make a great processors, but your do need to create something like oneAPI with most common OS coverage (I really do not understand why there are no installation scripts/executables for AOCC, for example. Also I want to have an ability with easiest AOCL modules integration with my currently using software like R, Python. Windows covers more than 70%, MacOS - more than 15%, but Linux... approximatelly 3%! Really? You coverage at least 18% with your installation scripts and skip for more than 70%? *Captain Piccard facepalm*

0 Likes

Hi
AOCC and AOCL is not tested on MingW.  However we do have steps to build R with AOCC/AOCL for linux

• Build and install BLIS and Flame library.
  • Download R source code
  • export BLIS_PATH=<path to BLIS MT library>
  • export LIBFLAME_PATH=<path to libFLAME library>
  • export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$BLIS_PATH:$LIBFLAME_PATH:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    make distclean
  • ./configure --with-blas="-L$BLIS_PATH -lblis-mt -L$LIBFLAME_PATH -lflame" --with-lapack
  • make -j
0 Likes

Hello, vtangutu.

I tried to realize your steps, but have strange error:

./configure --with-blas="-L$BLIS_PATH -lamdblis -L$LIBFLAME_PATH -lamdflame" --with-lapack --with-readline=no --with-x=no

checking for dgemm_ in -L/c/Program Files/AMD/AOCL-Windows/amd-blis/lib/LP64 -lamdblis -L/c/Program Files/AMD/AOCL-Windows/amd-libflame/lib/LP64 -lamdflame... no
configure: error: BLAS was specified but not available

(I renamed blis and flame libraries as libamdblis.lib/dll, libamdflame.lib/dll).

Maybe I need to add any additional libraries?

0 Likes

Hello Dmitrii,

The steps shared above are for building R with AOCL on any Linux flavor.  It has not been tested on MinGW.

0 Likes

It's not so good, unfortunatelly. I do need to have R built via MinGW64. I really think many users also need to have good manual for "Build R with AMD under Windows with MinGW64/MSYS2"... It's not a rock in your garden, but Intel has good manual for this.

0 Likes

Hello Dmitrii, I have filed a feature request for this issue, will keep you posted on the progress of the same.

0 Likes

Glad to hear this! Hope you'll give good manual for this. Thank you!

0 Likes