cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mickeekung
Challenger

Window 10 20H1(2004) + AMD 20.5.1 software + GPU latest bios completely fix black screen/blue screen/screen freeze issue.

I've been suffering with black screen/screen freeze/blue screen TDR FAILURE for more than 4-5 months and finally AMD can made it fix. Now more than 5 days none of these issues happen to me. With 5-6 FPS increase in every game.

Thanks AMD 

GPU : ASUS ROG 5600XT

49 Replies
christiang
Adept III

GPU latest bios?

0 Likes

0 Likes

definitely solved? I have a 5700 and black screen locks since I bought it.

0 Likes

I have the same issue as you since I bought it too. Very annoy with unpredictable black screen/screen freeze while playing games/video watching. But with that 3 things I've mentioned above. Seems like all problems are gone.

0 Likes

20.4.2. is rather stable. But only when you install it like this (Tested on Dual Screen config):

The right steps:

1. Boot into windows
  2. Download 20.4.2 at AMD if not already having it
  3. Start the installer
  4. Select "Advanced installer options" and select "Factory Reset"
  5. Select "Remove game profiles" (the second option) - IMPORTANT
  6. Reboot when installer says
  7. Log in into Windows
  8. Let installer continue
  9. When installer asks to continue or reboot, select Reboot now - IMPORTANT

The steps what do not work:

1. Boot into windows
  2. Download 20.4.2 at AMD if not already having it
  3. Run DDU and reboot - Somehow this does not do the magic
  4. Start the installer
  5. Reboot when installer says
  6. Log in into Windows

The so-called DDU way is not working, the only thing what works is the factory default, with game profiles removed.

I did it step by step (Notifications gone btw) but COD Warzone crashing are continuous. And it looks like 100% driver issue because I hear game sound while picture is freezing. And keep in mind - no overlocking here. Discord GPU rendering disabled.
One more thing - I started to play to test and opened Radeon watman? online statistic to watch GPU loading.
Strange case that amd driver doesn't really look to any restrictions on 1800 mhz while COD started. it can move loading between 1500 - 2000 hz by DEFAULT! And when maps loading before match started GPU makes some insane 2000 - 4000mhz peaks for few seconds. Then following normal gameplay with stable perfromance but on freeze it looks videcard silently drop performance to 20mhz.
Any external soft is disabled. I made fresh reinstall of licensed Windows 10 PRO. Before I had NVIDIA GeForce 980 - didn't have any issues for whole time.

0 Likes
christiang
Adept III

I will test it when windows fix 2004 problems. Thanks.
0 Likes
rock32
Adept II

Today I just also upgraded to Windows 10 (2004) & Radeon 20.4.2.

My problem with the black screen randomly and pc got freeze has gone temporarily until now.

I don't know how long this good news can last. But it's a hopeful sign.
Thank you so much, Microsoft!

0 Likes

Can you update to 20.5.1? I think it will be more stable.

Yes, I did it. 20.5.1 But unfortunately, All those issues came back again.
I tried with very older Radeon version 18.12.3. It's much better, the black screen hasn't occurred.

But some new games require the lastest GPU driver, so I can't play.

0 Likes
mikelp
Adept I

It's not fixed completely for Vega (Radeon VII). For Windows 10 (2004) and radeon 20.5.1 instead of blackscreen I'm seeing game crashes and multiple notifications "application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware"

0 Likes

I solved this. I had the same, even telling me that Windows is Blocked from acessing  hardware. The way i solved was very simple.

1. Downloaded 20.4.2 (Also 20.5.1 works);
  2. Ran the installer, at the installer i selected Under Extra Options "Restore factory settings"
  3. Then let the setup go. until it asked reboot
  4. After reboot i logged in and let the installer continue
  5. After that i rebooted again

Important is "Factory default/Reset" during setup.

0 Likes

I made factory/default reset and DDU in safe mode as well. It doesn't work on Vega cards and on Radeon VII as well 

0 Likes

No, DDU is not the way. If you did DDU then it does not work. 

If you done DDU. Reinstall drivers. Reboot, and then Reinstall drivers with "factory default". 

DDU does more harm then good.

I was having same problem, and always used DDU. But actually, Factory Default installation, combined with "forget game settings" without running DDU first did the trick. 

wim-bart wrote:

No, DDU is not the way. If you did DDU then it does not work. 

If you done DDU. Reinstall drivers. Reboot, and then Reinstall drivers with "factory default". 

DDU does more harm then good.

I was having same problem, and always used DDU. But actually, Factory Default installation, combined with "forget game settings" without running DDU first did the trick. 

If DDU is not helping then more likely windows is more corrupted. I backup my box regularly so in the even I need to install it fresh it is not a problem.

0 Likes

20.5.1 is very stable

0 Likes
goosethesecond
Adept III

I, myself have finally installed the full 2020 Adrenalin 20.5.1 software and can confirm zero issues so far. What I was doing before was that I was on the 19.12.1 GUI but was installing the new drivers on their own using Windows Device Manager. This method gave me the stability of the 2019 version but using the latest driver file itself. Most of the 2020 crashes are for some reason related with the entirety of the new software itself and not the driver in most cases.

I am on a Ryzen 5 3600 with an ASRock Pro4M X570, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB RAM (RGB version, 2x8), and an XFX 5700. I also want to point out that I am on latest Windows 10 version 2004 with ALL the latest updates and drivers possible for my setup.

scorpioss
Journeyman III

Monster Hunter World Iceborne recurring black screen.  Radeon - never again!

Ryzen 3600

ADATA Spectrix D60G RGB DDR4 3600

Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro

Gigabyte GV-R56XTGAMING OC-6GD

Adrenalin 20.5.1 

christiang
Adept III

Window 10 20H1 (2004) + AMD 20.5.1 software + pulse 5700 = BLACK SCREENS/SCREEN FREEZE/ REBOOT

nattanfrey
Adept I

I do not use adrenaline software 20.5.1, but I use drivers, and those that come with it. On the version of Windows 2004 with undervolting, so far everything works. Black screens only in PES 2020 Lite

0 Likes
zantsu
Adept III

Window 10 20H1 (2004) + AMD 20.5.1 software + AMD Sapphire 5700 (Blower) = BLACK SCREENS/SCREEN FREEZE/ REBOOT/GAME STUTTER/DRIVER CRASH/BUGS+BUGS+BUGS

zantsu wrote:

Window 10 20H1 (2004) + AMD 20.5.1 software + AMD Sapphire 5700 (Blower) = BLACK SCREENS/SCREEN FREEZE/ REBOOT/GAME STUTTER/DRIVER CRASH/BUGS+BUGS+BUGS

cpu/motherboard and ram specs

0 Likes

Ryzen 7 2700, Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3, 20GB 2400mhz (8+8+4)

zantsu wrote:

Ryzen 7 2700, Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3, 20GB 2400mhz (8+8+4)

I take it that the latest BIOS is installed

it can be very hard when disparate RAM is used, try using only the pair of 8GB sticks which I assume are the same

0 Likes

Yes, latest BIOS
The problems came in waves with drivers versions...

Driver 20.4.2 in W10 1909 was perfect. (The setup won't finish in 2004)

Virtually all 19.X.X drivers are defective

This is not a RAM issue, it's 100% a driver issue.

0 Likes

20.5.1 is stable

0 Likes

No it's NOT.

Uninstalled 20.5.1, installed 20.4.2 without adrenalin (Adrenalin on 20.4.2 won't install on Win 20H1) no issues for a week.

20.5.1 is not stable.

0 Likes

20.5.1 is stable on 3 different motherboards, B350, X470 and X570

Check for the latest BIOS, and install all windows updates

0 Likes

B350 (GB AB350m Gaming 3) here, Latest Bios (F50a), All updates from windows.

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

I'm waiting (Forever apparently) for the next version from AMD that fix all the issues introduced with 20.5.1.

20.5.1 simply doesn't work no Sapphire RX5700 Reference Model on W10 20H1.

In the meantime I continue using 20.4.2 without being able to install Adrenalin, but without any problems occurring.

0 Likes

Update Tuesday is close at hand, perhaps by then some improvements are coming but I don't recommend you hold your breath.

I mechanized backups as I have had problems galore with BIOS bugs, driver bugs and widows bugs.

zip supports the command like so it is possible to zip up files to a secondary disk in case windows blows up

need to specify full paths which does make for some long calls etc

0 Likes
dontjudgeme
Journeyman III

I've been having very frequent black screen freezes. Windows 10 18363 + 2.4.1 + Gigabyte 5700 XT OC (Latest Bios). I will try upgrading to Windows 2004 and 2.5.1 AMD driver.

On existing setup I performed install of 2.4.1 using factory reset, use standard gaming profile (disables enhanced syc etc), disable freesync, disable AMD overlay, set AMD display profile to limit RGB, installed GPU with two PCI-E power cables.

*edit*

Black screen freezes still experienced on Windows 2004 and 2.5.1  Last tweak I am trying is disabling hardware acceleration in background applications running whilst playing games. I will be returning my card if this doesn't work. 

*edit 2*

Disabling hardware acceleration makes no difference. So disappointing! 

My full system spec:

MB - ASUS Maximus VII Ranger

CPU - Intel i5  4690K

RAM - 16GB DDR3 Corsair Ballistix

PSU - Corsair gold RM750

GPU - Gigabye 5700 XT OC (connected with two pci-e power cables)

0 Likes

I achieved some improvement in stability with AMD 20.2.1 but unfortunately still experiencing black screen freezes. Sorry AMD, on this occasion I am going to bow out and return my card because I can't see a solution on the horizon for my system configuration. Such a pity because when working gaming performance is excellent. 

0 Likes
nattanfrey
Adept I

After Windows 10 2004 + 20.5.1 clean install, I have no blackscreens

0 Likes
rock32
Adept II

Finally, I found out a temporary solution to my situation.

DECREASE THE LIMIT POWER -25% to - 15% depends on each game.
You should create a profile for each game in the Radeon software tunning setting.
It solved my problem in-gaming, but not when sometimes I open a browser to watch youtube.

0 Likes
aethelbert
Adept I

Samsung Chronos 7 i7 laptop. Intel HD Graphics 4000 and AMD Radeon R9 M200X GPU. Licensed Windows 10 2004 + any AMD software (20.5, 20.7, 20.4, etc). There is no Firmware or BIOS update from Samsung for this model. After seven years of use, only works if AMD GPU is disabled on Device Manager. If I enable, Windows freezes, with or without an external monitor, either plugged into VGA or HDMI ports. If I reboot, windows cannot even start. It does stuck on loading. Need to force shut down, enter on recover, safe boot, disable GPU, and then windows starts and works again. Tried windows 8 (original from computer), the same. Ubuntu does not tell me if there is a problem on GPU. It simply works fine (I believe it is not using the GPU). Any software you could imagine I use from AMD get stucked on 70% installation, after the first reboot, just after the GPU is recognized on Device Manager (driver installation). I've tried also DDU... the same... Opened up the laptop, took off cooling system, changed old and dry thermal paste. The problem continues. Clean formatted and reinstalled Windows several times... same problem. I cannot even find a software the can tell me if the GPU has died. It appears on Device Manager, which tells me it is working normally. But load drivers by enabling the GPU simply freezes the system. I've tried everything you all told here... Any other hint, PLEASE!!! Change a very good laptop, which works very well, just because a faulty GPU could be the death of me...

0 Likes

aethelbert wrote:

Samsung Chronos 7 i7 laptop. Intel HD Graphics 4000 and AMD Radeon R9 M200X GPU. Licensed Windows 10 2004 + any AMD software (20.5, 20.7, 20.4, etc). There is no Firmware or BIOS update from Samsung for this model. After seven years of use, only works if AMD GPU is disabled on Device Manager. If I enable, Windows freezes, with or without an external monitor, either plugged into VGA or HDMI ports. If I reboot, windows cannot even start. It does stuck on loading. Need to force shut down, enter on recover, safe boot, disable GPU, and then windows starts and works again. Tried windows 8 (original from computer), the same. Ubuntu does not tell me if there is a problem on GPU. It simply works fine (I believe it is not using the GPU). Any software you could imagine I use from AMD get stucked on 70% installation, after the first reboot, just after the GPU is recognized on Device Manager (driver installation). I've tried also DDU... the same... Opened up the laptop, took off cooling system, changed old and dry thermal paste. The problem continues. Clean formatted and reinstalled Windows several times... same problem. I cannot even find a software the can tell me if the GPU has died. It appears on Device Manager, which tells me it is working normally. But load drivers by enabling the GPU simply freezes the system. I've tried everything you all told here... Any other hint, PLEASE!!! Change a very good laptop, which works very well, just because a faulty GPU could be the death of me...

You machine is Sandy Bridge so it's very unlikely there will be a new BIOS update for the machine.

Do you know how can I be sure my GPU is dead? I'm tired of trying making it work and wasting time, but at the same time, throw out the towel, without knowing for sure the problem is hardware, and not software, would be a drag...

0 Likes

aethelbert wrote:

Do you know how can I be sure my GPU is dead? I'm tired of trying making it work and wasting time, but at the same time, throw out the towel, without knowing for sure the problem is hardware, and not software, would be a drag...

The integrated graphics are integrated into Windows 10. HD 3000 is very basic with WDDM 1.0 support.

As for the R9 M200X is of equal vintage but drivers should also be available on windows update.

0 Likes

As I told, drivers are not my problem. There are tons on the web and on AMD website and, believe me, I've tested  many of them. The issue is that, as soon as the driver is installed and the GPU is recognized on Device Manager as an AMD device, instead of a generic Video controller, windows freezes. So how can I know if the issue is software or hardware? Is my GPU dead, despite being present and recognizable?

0 Likes