cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

flyman81
Journeyman III

Why my GPU with Ryzen 2400G is found as Radeon Vega 8 Mobile?

I have a (desktop) Ryzen 5 2400G in my motherboard (B350) socket, so the iGPU should be detected as a Radeon Vega 11.

But every graphic command I use consider it is a Vega 8 Mobile, which is not even possible as it is a desktop APU.

glxinfo and lspci commands returns "Vega 8 Mobile"

From GUI it is the same, if I look at "details" in "parameters", I get : "AMD® Ryzen 5 2400g with radeon vega graphics × 8"

Actually I don't care that much if the displayed name is wrong but I would really like to make sure I enjoy my 11 graphical units instead of 8!

I'm on Ubuntu 18.04.1 using amdgpu drivers with latest MESA and kernel

Thanks in advance for your help

0 Likes
3 Replies

I would say it is a detection error, but few Linux people hang around here. I would suggest the Phoronix forums, people there are proficient with all things Linux.

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/

Problem is you need to subscribe to premium to be able to post on Phoronix forum :/

0 Likes
0xjake
Journeyman III

black_zion is correct, it is a detection error. I found your post describing the same problem I'm having and kept digging, the command you need (which I found on the nixCraft/cyberciti website) is "sudo update-pciids" which will update the local PCI database (/usr/share/misc/pci.ids). After running this, my 2400G is now correctly detected as "Radeon RX Vega 11" with lspci -k.

Also I'm pretty sure the 8 on the "AMD® Ryzen 5 2400g with radeon vega graphics × 8" line is the CPU thread count, just Google image search "ubuntu about this computer" and you'll see 4 for quad cores (4C4T), 8 for hyperthreaded quad cores (4C8T), etc.

0 Likes