cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

KiM2718
Journeyman III

RX 590 Driver Timeout Issue

Hello! I am using an AMD RX 590 sapphire nitro+ gpu for about a year and a half now.(Bought the GPU in Jan. 2020)
As I am experiencing a random driver timeout while gaming (for instance, Destiny 2, Battlefield 1, GTFO, etc.) for a while now, I want to get some opinions from you. 
This is my problem:
When I am playing any games on my pc, the game just freezes for about 30 seconds, even though the sound of the game remains in the background. After these 30 seconds have past, the screen goes black, turns back on and then a driver timeout window from AMD Software appears. If this happens, I need to whether restart my pc or just spam click the AMD Adrenalin Software icon until it works again, but these temporal workarounds don't fix this issue for the rest of the day or even the following days. 

I had this issue since about April and my patience for a fix to this issue from AMD is wearing very thin now. 

I have tried:
- Use DDU and reinstall Driver (didn't solve the problem)
- Bios, Driver, Windows update to the latest version (didn't solve)
- As I didn't know back then in May, that my GPU was the issue, I upgraded my CPU Ryzen 2600X --> Ryzen 5600X / Motherboard Asus TUF b450-plus gaming --> Asus ROG Strix B550-E Gaming. (Obviously didn't solve the problem)
- Cleaned the PC in case it's the temperature. However, the Temp of the GPU stayed the same (around 70°C) and problem is still not fixed
- I downloaded the Optional AMD Driver Version 21.10.1, which released recently. The release notes indicates, that the Driver Timeout should be fixed with the update. I had so much hope, that I'll finally be able to play normally again, instead of being scared of the random crash every few minutes and stress out. Unfortunately, Driver Timeout happens still for me. 
- Undervolted(Underclocked) GPU (problem still there)

I thought about changing my GPU from AMD to Nvidia, but as you all know, the cost of all GPUs are tremendously high now...
Because of that, I want to ask you, if you've found any other solutions, if you had this problem in the past or heard about any, then please let me know. Ask me any question if you need to know more about something.

I hope to hear from you guys and thanks in advance for spending your time to read and comment on my thread. Have a nice day!

PC Spec: 
CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X ; MB -  Asus ROG Strix B550-E Gaming ; GPU - RX 590 ; RAM - 2x 8GB ; PSU - Be Quiet PurePower 11 600W

0 Likes
2 Replies
DiingDong
Journeyman III

I also own the RX 590 Sapphire Nitro that you have, same exact issues too, mostly on Destiny 2. This isn't really a solution at all but it does help reduce the problem, especially in Destiny 2 since I play that game a lot. In the software you need to under-volt it on all the stages.

Go to the Radeon Software (assuming you have it installed). Performance > Tuning > Enable GPU Tuning and advanced control.

You will see Frequency(MHz) and Voltage(mV) you will only be adjusting the Voltage to this:

State0 (Min):  750

State1:             750

State2:             812

State3:             987

State4:             1080

State5:             1090

State6:             1090

State7 (Max):  1100

If you don't want all your games to have these settings, you can go to the specific game and select tuning for only that game. This might affect performance my a few frames but I think its better than it crashing.

I got this off of reddit (I forgot who) and it's helped quite a bit, but remember that sometimes after a crash or two, it will reset everything to default and you will lose this setup, remember to check every now and then. The driver version is the main problem. I forgot which version it was but it would crash Destiny 2 five times a day and then the next version it barely ever crashed at all, maybe once or twice the whole lifespan of that driver version. Hope this helps

0 Likes

Thank you for the reply, DiingDong! I appreciate your time for answering!

Searching widly through Redditposts and Google, I've probably encountered the same solution-option that you mentioned.
I also tried the undervolting option and as you've said, the crashing issue still remains and tweaks need to be checked several times after every crash. As this issue was bothering me for over half a year (while playing Destiny2 mainly, by crashing while Nightfalls and Raids), I just baldly bought the RX 6600 at the day it launched, and I was just happy to play without any issues for a long time again. My RX590 will be staying in the garage and I will probably use take it out couple of times for PC test runs/spec comparisons in the future. 

If AMD somehow manages to clear out this issue once and for all, then maybe someday I'll try to use this shiny Graphic card again

Thank you again for suggesting a temporal solution(even though this post is kinda old) and wish you the best man. 

0 Likes