Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

LocoLo
Journeyman III

Problem with AMD Radeon Software (everytime!) "PA-300"

Hello,

Once again I have a problem with the AMD Radeon Software and Windows 10.

I have already deinstalled and re-installed the software (incl. reset!) several times, stopped the automatic windows update function for driver support etc. - Also updated my firewall and anti-virus software.

What can I do to avoid this error? 

Windows 10

Acer Predator Helios PH517-61 Laptop

LocoLo_0-1635179088046.png

Yes, I had the latest version already, but after restarting the computer this error occurs.

I dont know what to anymore and hope that somebody can help me here. I dont want to install the software everyday.... 

Cheers!

1 Solution
Dennis_Menace
Adept II

This problem have been seen before and uccure from time to time when Windows update suddenly think that there is a newer or better driver from Microsoft.
Then Windows Update is overwriting the AMD driver with a Microsoft driver and your Radion Software won't run.

To solve this issue You need to completely remove all older display drivers in your system.
There is a neet little free software program called DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) that can clean up all the Display Drivers  in your system.
Way to go about this so Windows update is not overwriting the display driver you get from AMD is to fully update all your windows drivers first before installing your Radion Software drivers. Then run the DDU software (read the recommendations on the website).
Boot your computer in Safe Mode and run DDU software and make the checkmarks for removing ALL graphics drivers (and I also recommend that you check the box for preventing Windows from automatically downloading and updating drivers. This you will want to do manually). After uninstalling all Display drivers and preventing Windows update from installing NEW drivers automatically. reboot your computer normally and install the latest Radion Software with your Graphics drivers.... Here is a link to the DDU software https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Dennis_Menace
Adept II

This problem have been seen before and uccure from time to time when Windows update suddenly think that there is a newer or better driver from Microsoft.
Then Windows Update is overwriting the AMD driver with a Microsoft driver and your Radion Software won't run.

To solve this issue You need to completely remove all older display drivers in your system.
There is a neet little free software program called DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) that can clean up all the Display Drivers  in your system.
Way to go about this so Windows update is not overwriting the display driver you get from AMD is to fully update all your windows drivers first before installing your Radion Software drivers. Then run the DDU software (read the recommendations on the website).
Boot your computer in Safe Mode and run DDU software and make the checkmarks for removing ALL graphics drivers (and I also recommend that you check the box for preventing Windows from automatically downloading and updating drivers. This you will want to do manually). After uninstalling all Display drivers and preventing Windows update from installing NEW drivers automatically. reboot your computer normally and install the latest Radion Software with your Graphics drivers.... Here is a link to the DDU software https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html 

andreasd083
Journeyman III

When following PA-300 (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-300) you will turn off all windows updates of all drivers. But if you tweak the registry you can stop it from updating just that driver. I don't know how DDU stops it. But this does the trick: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146562-prevent-windows-update-updating-specific-device-driver.ht...

0 Likes
Exael
Adept I

You don't need to reinstall the entire driver package every time. In fact, the old driver has NOT been rewritten, it's still there. Windows just downloads it's own version (an older version) and forces you to use that. But you can change that very quickly and easily. I've done this on Windows 11, but it should work for older versions as well. Here's what you do: 

1. Open Device Manager 

2. Look through the list of devices and click on Display adapters. You should be looking at the name of your graphics card, in my case it would say AMD Radeon RX 6600M. 

3. Double-click on the name of your graphics card. A smaller window will pop-up that contains the graphics card properties. There are 5 tabs at the top, click on the second one that says Driver

4. The Driver tab will show the name of your graphics card at the top and a bunch of information about the currently installed driver. There are 5 wide buttons on the bottom-left with descriptions to the right of them. Click on the second button, Update Driver

5. A new window will pop-up asking "How do you want to search for drivers?" Click on the second option, "Browse my computer for drivers". 

6. The next window that comes up that says "Browse for drivers on your computer". At the bottom of this window, it will say "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer". Click on this option. 

7. This next window says "Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware". In the middle of this window is a box that says "Model" and will probably have multiple listings here. You can tell which driver is which by the driver version number shown and the date. There will probably be at least 2 drivers showing, pick the one with the newest date and click on Next. THE DRIVER YOU SELECTED WILL BEGIN TO INSTALL. Windows may freeze or flicker for a few moments, depending on your particular setup. Once it finishes, you can close out the window. AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition should have started up automatically and should be running now. NO REBOOT NECESSARY. 

This will probably keep happening until AMD corrects the issue, but my solution is a lot faster and does not require multiple reboots or downloads. 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you! Although not a fix per say, this is the best solution that came up for my problem.

In my case, the whole thing was caused by the Windows setting which turns off my display after a while. When I came back, it would not turn back on so I had to restart my computer to get my display to work again. This however caused the drivers to flip to the default Windows one which your solution allowed me to revert very easily. I ended up disabling the "Turn off the display after a certain amount of time" and instead used the good old Windows black screen saver, which pretty much does the same thing but does not cause issues, whether I come back before the computer goes into sleep mode or not.