Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

darksicek
Adept I

PC randomly reboots while playing game with youtube in background

Hi,

few days ago serious problem appears on my PC. Actually it probably started earlier, but I will explain.

My PC: R5 5600G, MSI RX 6600 XT, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 32GB RAM, Win10Pro 22H2 with all available patches.

During game playing (Captain of Industries), random reboots occurred. No BSOD, no errors in windows log (related to time of occurrence), no memory dumps. When this happen, I decided to update Adrenalin drivers to latest 24.5.1. I had default windows drivers there only, because I reinstalled windows several days ago, and everything was working fine so far.

Once I installed new drivers, my PC got unresponsive after reboot, few seconds after login (probably once Adrenalin was started). I was able to use only apps started before Adrenalin initiated. At the first time I tough its Avast issue, because Avast was last program started before freeze. This was also reason why I reinstalled OS several days ago. First time I was not able to recover from any restore point. This time I was able to do the restore, so PC was recovered into state before Adrenalin drive installation and it worked again.

I tried also 24.4.1. Same results. Tried both with factory reset settings. Same results. Just driver I have stored from past - 23.3.1 - are working fine. But issue with reboots still persists.

I noticed several points:

- Reboot happen just and only, if Im playing with youtube playing on background (listening podcasts). And I dont even have to alt+tab to windows from the game. Crash during playing. But this still does not explain, why PC freeze with latest drivers.

- I noticed, even fresh install of my OS still detects and list active in my devices as and display device my iGPU. Even its still disabled in BIOS and primary is set to PCI. So I disabled it also in device manager, but issue still persist. Also adrenalin drivers still detect it during installation, even its disabled in BIOS and Windows as well. And also installing drivers for it.

Could conflict between dedicated GPU and iGPU cause this issue?

6 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

Is your motherboard's BIOS up to date?

Do you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com?

Are you using any cable extenders INSIDE your case?

What power supply make and model are you using?

How are your CPU and GPU temps?

How is the airflow thru your case? You have to keep your VRM's and RAM cool too

Check for firmware updates for your SSD's

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Hi

BIOS 7B85v1G
AMD Chipset Driver  6.02.22.053 (Those were installed. Not solved the issue)

I forgot to mention I did another clean OS install yesterday. I put those drivers there immediately and was able to install Adrenalin 24.5.1 with no freeze after planned reboot. This worked several hours (with another planned reboots during Windows patching).

Then I started the game with youtube again in the evening and PC rebooted again by itself.

Those reboots looks (and only recovery event in the log is) like power outage happen. But LEDs on fans and mobo do not even blink. Just black screen and boot up.

After this first crash with new OS, PC become to freeze again after login. So I again uninstalled 24.5.1 and now have again 23.3.1.

No cable extenders, just modular PSU (Seasonic Focus Gold - 650W SSR FX)

Temperatures are fine. Dont see any issue here. Using 3 front panel fans, 1 rear and AiO Arctic Cooler Freezer II on top, that also cooling VRMs. Air flowing out of the case is not hot.

SSDs  fw I actually did not checked. Have m.2 drives in both slots. But also its temperature is not higher than 50°C. But will check its fw.

0 Likes
hardreset
Challenger

On which browser do you run yotube ?
Maybe try on another browser if you also have this problem .

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.
0 Likes

Using Firefox. But changing browser still does not explain issue with latest drivers.

PS: Just checked fw on drives and updated system drive. Others are up to date already.

0 Likes

Try using this command in a windows terminal :

winget upgrade --all

or:

winget upgrade --all --include-unknown

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.
0 Likes

Thanks, but this I already did. Seems windows does not offer all required drivers.

Seems I fix it somehow. At the end I had to install MSI center (I wanted to avoid this) a this scan and downloaded missing drivers for audio and bluetooth. Also suggested me another graphic drivers - 22.40.46.

Not sure which of those were crucial, but it fixed issue with crashing.

Im still not able to use latest Adrenalin, but who cares. I dont need this software at all.