Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ivkepandica
Adept I

PC Completely freezes randomly if I'm NOT using 22.5.1 driver

Hi everyone,

I have an  Asus Dual RX 6600 XT and with the  22.5.1 adrenaline driver, for windows 11 (up to date) it's working perfectly fine, no crashes, no freezes, nothing bad.

Since June 2022, whenever I update my driver with ANY new one that has released, while gaming, totally random, my PC just freezes, both monitors still lit up, but frozen and cannot move my mouse, cannot do anything with the keyboard. The only thing I can do is to restart and then the cycle continues

I use my computer > Random interval comes (can be in 1h, 4h or anytime) > PC Freezes and then I have to restart.

In order to combat this, I always had to go back to 22.5.1 to negate the issue.

I've tried the updates with 3 different drivers over these 6 months (both with and without "factory" reset option while installing the driver) and all of them had the same issue.

I used the DDU program, totally deleted my driver, and with 0 internet installed the new one 22.11.2 and it's still giving me the same issue.

Card is NOT overheating, playing games like Lost Ark, Fortnite. WoW, etc.

It must be something with the software of the card since the 22.5.1 driver works without any issues, no freezes.

Please help me and I'll be eternally grateful to you!

1 Solution
rekoj
Adept II

UPDATE: After some research i think I may have found a solution to this issue without the need of using older drivers, I have been testing this method with Adrenalin 22.11.1 on my 6700xt, and it seems to be stable, no freezes so far while playing with 2 monitors and multitasking.
Basically it is to disable the MPO and "Hardware Acceleration" through the windows registry, in fact I don't know which of these two options is the one that cause the driver issue, or could be both (i think it might be MPO) but I have disabled both just in case and no issue so far, feel free to test yourselves, here i will show you the instructions to do it:

Captura1.JPG

View solution in original post

13 Replies
lordzerg
Adept I

Same problem my Card is 5700XT every driver after around Oct. Nov. 2022 is causing my PC to freeze Im not sure when the problems started but my PC is working best with 22.7.1 no freezes. 
Also playing Lost Ark, and there is 1 more problem with Chrome when playing games, mouse cursor in chrome is lagging a lot even freezing for parts of a second when moving over links and other elements.
I gave up on testing new drivers after dec. 2022, but recently running Stable Diffusion and it requires one specific driver to work and its the same as others I can't play games because my PC freezes and need to restart it. So I now need to choose to play games or to use Stable diffusion specific driver.

ThreeDee
Paragon

What are the rest of your PC specs? .. including make/model/age of your power supply?

Is your motherboard's BIOS up to date?

Are you running the latest chipset drivers from Intel or AMD (whoever makes the chipset on your motherboard)?

Are you running separate power cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU?

Are you running any cable extenders INSIDE your case and/or a PCIe riser cable?

I run an RX 6800 (mine), RX 6700XT (daughter's) and a 5700XT (wife's) .. all AMD setups with latest BIOS's and AM4 chipset drivers from AMD.com .. Windows 11 (up to date) and all have 850wtt 80+ Gold or better power supplies .. SAM enabled .. currently running the 22.11.2 driver without issue .. in fact, haven't had any issues on any drivers that I can recall ... 

ThreeDee PC specs

-These are my PC Specs : Ryzen 5 5600, Asus Dual RX 6600 XT, Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2, Patriot 2x 8gb Viper Steel 3600Mhz CL18, EVGA BQ 650w - 6800, Crucial P2 m.2 1TB

-Mobo is most likely not up to date - I'll see if I can update it today
-I'm unsure about the chipset drivers as well - will look into it
-No separate power cables
-No cable extenders

I'll see if I can update bios today and to look into those chipset drivers, thanks for the tip.

lordzerg
Adept I

My CPU is Ryzen 2700X, MB ASUS 470x prime, PSU Seasonic 750W, I know how to connect my cables,

chipset drivers from Asus latest (they are old compared to these on AMD website) I have better performance with ASUS drivers. Don't have extender cables. Bios is latest.

I don't know how all this info will help you when I tell you my PC is running perfectly good with July 2022 drivers and older. And one more thing I clean my PC 1 time per year change thermal paste on CPU, GPU is good on temp.

0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

Mine is MSI 6600XT with MSI b550m pro vdh with the latest 22.11.2. All running ok till now.

I play dota, Mafia 1-3, Sekiro, Watch dogs 2, RDR2, tomb raider, death stranding and many more. All still good.

The problem maybe because you use 2 monitors that if you see in this community AMD, many get problem with more than 1 monitor.

Don't ask me why you already spent money but can't use 2 monitor or more, it is AMD folks.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes

Hi, i build my new PC 1 week ago with a Ryzen 5600x and 6700xt
I also have been experiencing completely system freezes mostly while playing Lost Ark (i havent done many tests with other games so far) i have Adrenalin 22.11.1 version, wich is the penultimate version, the AMD chipset and bios are updated to the latest version.
First I thought it was a stability problem with the RAM and XMP profile, since i have 8x2 sticks OC to 3600mhz, i also have SAM enable, But I have been running stability and stress tests like Aida64, Prime95, 3DMark and Cinebench and they have not caused me any problems or freezing, so it seems that it only happens in some specific games or situations, also my temps are fine, my CPU and GPU are under 65°C on heavy load, so is not a heat problem.

My especs are
MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: PowerColor 6700xt Red Devil
RAM: 2x8 Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz
Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120
SSD: NVMe WD Black SN770 Gen4 250GB (for OS only)
SSD: Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM750 Gold+ White
SO: W10 Pro latest version 

My old Rig has an i5 6600 and a Rx480 of 4gb, updated to the latest Adrenalin version, it doesnt have this problem.

I will do more tests with other versions of drivers and games and I will update this post

0 Likes

Update: I have been researching and most likely it is in fact a driver issue, some people say that disabling Hardware Acceleration and MPO would fix it, i will try (if doesnt work the only solution would be to rollback to 22.5.1) . BTW i noticed that after the screen freezes, if you wait a couple of minutes you will get a windows blue screen with the following error, DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATION, then the PC will restart

0 Likes
vonwallace
Journeyman III

I have a Vega 64 and these new drivers are bad, 22.5.x is the only ones that do not crash and freeze the screens of the ones I have tried. The latest had me thinking my good old Vega had bit the dust. I had this card for 4 or so years and never had crashes till the latest drivers. 

0 Likes

What version are you using now?

0 Likes
rekoj
Adept II

UPDATE: After some research i think I may have found a solution to this issue without the need of using older drivers, I have been testing this method with Adrenalin 22.11.1 on my 6700xt, and it seems to be stable, no freezes so far while playing with 2 monitors and multitasking.
Basically it is to disable the MPO and "Hardware Acceleration" through the windows registry, in fact I don't know which of these two options is the one that cause the driver issue, or could be both (i think it might be MPO) but I have disabled both just in case and no issue so far, feel free to test yourselves, here i will show you the instructions to do it:

Captura1.JPG

I'll try to do this and then I will update my drivers and let you know how it goes

Hey another thing I noticed is that the AMD driver overclocks the GPU above manufacturer OC, this also could be causing instabilities. In my case i have a 6700xt Red Devil wich has a 2620Mhz OC from factory, but in the Adrenalin driver was set at 2649Mhz by default lol. Check this and make sure you look for the default frequencies of your GPU model and configure them in the Adrenalin driver, coil whine was also reduced by doing this.

0 Likes

Update on this fix :

I have done this a couple of days ago with the newest driver and so far no crashes while gaming and everything.

I don't want to jinx it, but you solved my issue and I'm truly grateful for that

0 Likes