cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

GoLLuM13
Adept III

my memory overclock / XMP no longer stable since updating my BIOS from ageesa 1.2.0.3 to 1.2.0.7

Hello,
I would like to report an issue that started with AGESA 1.2.0.5 and continues with AGESA 1.2.0.6 and 1.2.0.7 for Ryzen 3000 CPU owners.
Currently, I have BIOS 3801 based on AGESA 1.2.0.3 and SMU version for Matisse (Ryzen 3000) processors is 46.71.0.
On this BIOS version everything works as it should (apart from the fTPM problem with Windows 11 which causes a stutter supposed to be fixed with AGESA 1.2.0.7).
Since BIOS version 3904 (i.e. 3904 - 4002 - 4006 and 4201) the AGESA has gone from 1.2.0.3 to 1.2.0.5 then 1.2.0.6 and finally 1.2.0.7 and the SMU for the Matisse CPU (Ryzen 3000) is increased from 46.71. 0 to 46.72.0 and from this version (AGESA and/or SMU) it is almost impossible to start or restart the computer without Q-Code error, black screen, BSOD, as soon as the DOCP profile is activated or the memory frequency is set manually. The only way to make the BIOS based on these AGESA versions work is to leave the RAM frequency on "default" which is not ideal because in my case for example it means 2133 Mhz.
Of course, reverting to an earlier BIOS like the 3801 (which I'm currently using) fixes the issues instantly.
I did some memtests and other tests, the problem is not with my hardware. I researched various forums (including Asus and MSI) and found that this is a common problem among owners of Ryzen 3000 processors and an X570 motherboard or B550. I even saw a person having the same problem, who solved the problem by changing their Ryzen 3000 pro processor to a Ryzen 5000.
So, I really hope this is not a trick from AMD to let Ryzen 3000 users down, and you will do something about it.
PS: I have already contacted Asus support, they have already offered me several solutions, none have worked, and none will work as long as it is a problem within the AGESA, and it comes from you.

---Asus RoG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x - 2* Corsair Vengeance RT 16 GB 3600 C16 - Noctua NH-D15S Chromax.Black - nVidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition - Corsair AX1500i - Lian Li O11 XL RoG Certified - 10x Arctic P12 PWM PST A-RGB
1 Solution
GoLLuM13
Adept III

My problem seems to be solved thanks to Asus. They promised, and they delivered, it's been almost 5 days now that I'm using a modified BIOS specially made for my board and Corsair RAMs, and it's 100% functional, no problem whatsoever so far. I'd like to thank Asus for the hard work and Corsair for borrowing memory sticks to them. I hope they will publicly release it and make it work with more models.

Conclusion :
Even if there were 0 doubt about it unlike what some people said, it wasn't a memory issue, it was a BIOS issue like I stated before. Nothing to have with die model, memory brand or motherboard brand, everything was compatible and functional. If Asus and Corsair proved me something is that, they care and as a customer that's all what I ask for. I hope AMD will find a solution that they can share with other brands too. Thank you to all the people that shared their feedbacks and have been patient.

---Asus RoG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x - 2* Corsair Vengeance RT 16 GB 3600 C16 - Noctua NH-D15S Chromax.Black - nVidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition - Corsair AX1500i - Lian Li O11 XL RoG Certified - 10x Arctic P12 PWM PST A-RGB

View solution in original post

122 Replies
KabouterPlop1
Challenger

1207 has a edc bug so if you are using pbo disable that or go back to 1203c, my memory was stable on 1207 but my rig became unstable with PBO on because anything past default handicaps vcore which causes stability issues, i thought it was memory at the time to it turned out to be edc bug, its annoying how AMD has still not fixed this even tho they reported it as known issue that would be fixed in 1207 which actually never got fixed. 1203c is the last stable bios without EDC bug

Manotosh09
Journeyman III

I am having issue with Ryzen 5 3600, MSI B550M PRO-VDH WiFi (AGESA 1.2.0.7), G.SKILL Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3200MHz CL16 (XMP Profile 1).

MSI Memory Fast Boot Bios Option-

With enabled, first time pc boots fine then I shutdown pc and start again same time it doesn't boot and CPU light stays on. So I have to force shutdown by holding power button, after that I start again and it boots fine. Every time I have to do this to start my PC again. 1st time boots normal, 2nd time no boot CPU light stays on, 3rd time boots again after forced shutdown.
With disabled, everything works normally.
One more difference I noticed with enabled when I click restart from windows my full system shutdown few sec & CPU fan stops then starts again normally, with disabled my system reboots normally and CPU fan stays on the whole time and doesn't stop during restart.

KabouterPlop1
Challenger

If you are on anything newer then agesa 1203c you should turn of PBO because EDC wont go past default turning PBO on default PBO values exceed default edc handicaping cpu and causing random reboots and other stability issues, anyone that somehow thinks better does not know the difference between the classic edc bug from ryzen 3000 and the new edc bug for ryzen 3000 and 5000, trust me you dont wanna upgrade past agesa 1203c if you use PBO

If you are however on anything newer you will be fully stable without PBO or limiting EDC to defaults which is different for each chip.

Thank you for mentioning the EDC bug. Feels like not many people are aware of it. Very annoying issue.
Hope the next AGESA fixes it...whenever that comes out.

I had the same issue with PBO ON or OFF, so it wasn't the issue in my case. And As you probably saw it by now, the solution was a private/custom BIOS from Asus. It's AGESA 1.2.0.7 based, and it fixed all my issues like magic.

I really hope AMD will fix this for all manufacturers in a future AGESA (if there is one).

0 Likes

In my case, I haven't updated/changed my BIOS since I setup my PC (december 2021) and it has been running fine until this summer (2022). I am an "active member" of the group "If it works, don't fix it" The only thing that changed were the system/software updates...

- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
- MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi (BIOS 1.B0 AMD AGESA 1.2.0.7)
- XFX Radeon RX 570 Series 8 GB
- 4*8 GB DDR4 Crucial (PN# BL8G36C16U4W.M8FE18 ) XMP 2.0 enabled

Ryzen 5000 aren't concerned by the issue I'm talking about in this thread, so no wonder it works

Sorry I have troubles to answer on this forum, you'll find everything on this Reddit Thread

0 Likes
Micheew
Adept I

I did the no PBO/XMP turned on and just set the ram to 3200 and leave the rest to defaults in the bios section, then let the bios do the rest. And it worked. It’s been stable with no crashes/blue screen etc. 

Keep in mind im not an expert. But it worked for me.

Great, happy that it worked for you, it didn't for me, and yet I'm an expert lol

0 Likes
TumKo
Adept II

I upgraded my processor 3900xt to 5950x B2 updated bios 4021 to 4403 no problem pbo enable xmp enable 3200 stable

0 Likes
shmihe
Journeyman III

PRO WS X570-ACE BIOS 4402
Version 440221.14 MB
2023/02/08

"1. Update AGESA version to ComboV2PI 1208
2. Mitigate the AMD potential security vulnerabilities for AMD Athlon™ processors and Ryzen™ processors
3. Improve system stability"

I believe there was a 1207 on ASUS site, but it isn't up there now.

My issue is that XMP is causing me a double boot (turns on, turns off, then from 1 to 3 seconds later - proceeds to boot).

It started with the 1207, and bios flash also black screened at finish. I had to short the bios to reset and be able to boot again.

I have Ryzen 3800x and ASUS PRO WS X570-ACE, with 64 GB Ballistix Sport AT DDR 3200 (4 - 16GB)

I have run the XMP profile flawlessly since December 2019, not a single double boot.

I have to assume that the Agesa  1.2.0.7 and 1.2.0.8 have introduced some instabilities with the memory/XMP profile. I do not have any issues when XMP is turned off (stock ram settings).

Windows memory test was clean.
0 Likes

This problem is present since AGESA 1.2.0.5 on Ryzen 3000 series and AMD has done nothing to fix it.

I'm running a 3700x + ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero with the same type of issues so I'm stuck on AGESA 1.2.0.3 patch C.

Just like @herhey said, this issue is there since AGESA 1.2.0.4 on Ryzen 3000 CPUs and AMD haven't and won't address this issue.

I had the chance to have an older Intel platform in my possession, so I tried my RAM kit on it, and it appears that they're all clear, I passed MemTests on each of the sticks one by one, and all together.
So I took a chance and got myself another kit of AMD Optimized RAM 2x 16Go Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 MHz CL16 (with Micron E-Die if that matters to anyone), so it's even faster than my original kit, and they worked flawlessly.

So it appears super clear to me that AMD introduced a bug with some kits or RAM with Ryzen 3000, and they won't do anything about it, so you have 3 choices :

1. Stay on, AGESA 1.2.0.3 (or any other version that seems stable to you)
  2. Change your RAM for a model that is supposed to be AMD Optimized (not 100% guaranteed, though)
  3. Change your Ryzen 3000 CPU for a Ryzen 5000
0 Likes

After sticking with 1.2.0.8 and living with the "power on/auto shutdown for 3 seconds/auto reboot/back to normal startup" issue, my PC has apparently resolved the issue on its own?!!

I have changed absolutely nothing, and XMP (the cause of the issue - by way of 1.2.0.8) had been enabled the whole time - still is.

I have had sporadic email contact with ASUS support about this, gave them all info/specs/etc on my PC and the 1.2.0.8/XMP issues.  I have not heard back since 3/13/2023 despite that message saying I would hear back in 24- 48 hours.

I'd sure like to know the actual root cause of the issue, but it seems to be resolved for now. And it would be nice to get an official response/explanation of possibilities why this happened from ASUS.

I am not holding my breath for that though...

0 Likes
renesdk
Adept II

I've updated to the newest AGESA ComboPiV2 - 1.2.0.8 based BIOS for my MSI X570-A PRO about 5 days ago and it seems stable so far.
I've set up everything but XMP/D.O.C.. I'm waiting with enabling that for now. But at least it doesn't seem to have the general instability and data corrupting signs that 1.2.0.4, 1.2.0.5, 1.2.0.6 and 1.2.0.7 had on my system, and also it doesn't provoke a BSOD after a power down where it was saying it couldn't find my boot drive like 1.2.0.6 and 1.2.0.7 had.

So generally good signs so far.

--- MSI X570-A PRO * AMD Ryzen 3700X * 32 GB (4x 8 GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR-3200 * Noctua NH-U12S * Inno3D iChill GTX 1070 X4 * Seasonic X-850 * Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 * Win 11 Pro

Please keep us updated if you enable DOCP/XMP.

What is your CPU? 

Yes, I still have a 3700X.
Nothing has changed in my system when it comes to the hardware since this topic was origianlly created.

--- MSI X570-A PRO * AMD Ryzen 3700X * 32 GB (4x 8 GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR-3200 * Noctua NH-U12S * Inno3D iChill GTX 1070 X4 * Seasonic X-850 * Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 * Win 11 Pro
0 Likes

@renesdk that sounds promising, keep us updated when you'll enable XMP/DOCP

@herhey if he hasn't changed it, he had a 3700X

0 Likes
renesdk
Adept II

That was the end of that run with AGESA 1.2.0.8 for me.

After over a week with no stability issues I enabled XMP.
After 3 hours the first green screen of death with Memory Management Error. Then came the Bluescreen with corrupt files on the boot drive when I tried to boot the PC after the green screen.
Turned off XMP, no other changes, and the machine booted fine again.
But after having XMP enabled it's been keeping green screening when pushed to work hard.

Now back to trusty old AGESA 1.2.0.3c. Everything working perfectly.

I'm sorry AMD but you make really good hardware for the price, but you seriously suck at the software side of things. This will definitely be my last AMD based system for a long time, and it was my first AMD system since the Phenom II.

Same here, bluescreen and errors with DOCP on. Only thing that works is setting my memory from auto to 3200mhz manually, rest set to default (auto). I have no idea if it is bad but has been stable without issues that way.

It is unbelievable this isn’t fixed yet.

You should try to set up the timings manually, at least

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that, I guess it won't be fixed, they just don't care about us, they're focused on 7000 and 7000X3D now. That's why I bought a new kit of RAM (it's cheaper than a new CPU or a whole new system)

0 Likes

Thing is I'm not putting any more money into this platform. I'm not putting any more money into parts until I have to upgrade the platform again.

I might try the setting the speed to 3200 manually and leaving the rest on auto. Just to see if that actually works or not. But that would also be my last attempt.

As @GoLLuM13 said try setting the memory speed to 3200 and set the timings manually. You can look for your memory timings in the manufacturer's website or you can use CPU-Z.

If that doesn't work we are all screwed.

Obviously, you are right, and I totally understand you and agree. I bought the new kit just because it was on sale and I could use the older elsewhere. And also I was fed up being stuck at 2400 or so and leaving performance on the table. What is sure, though, it is probably my last AMD rig.

Tried to set the speed to 3200 without touching anything else. Bluescreen. Disabled PBO still Bluescreen.

Dialed back to 2666 speeds. Worked fine.

So I'm now on AGESA 1.2.0.8 but running 2666 RAM speeds. Unless I see other stability issues with the new AGESA I'm staying at 2666 as I'd rather have all the security fixes than the extra speed at the moment.

Got another green screen on standard settings, so back to 1.2.0.3c for me

mrhussy
Journeyman III

It might be an ASUS thing .. just say's

It's kind of like being mad at Ford because your Bridgestone tires went flat. 

Doesn't help you I know .. .. and you may disagree .. but I feel your angst is misplaced. AMD provides whatever AGESA codes to manufacturers and it's up to them to implement them correctly on their respective hardware. 

0 Likes

If it's an Asus thing, then how can you explain that the exact same issue is on other boards like from MSI and Gigabyte on the same AGESA versions? 

You sound to me like someone who didn't even took a second to read what it was about or any feedback, just here in this thread there is at least an MSI board having the same symptoms with the same AGESA versions. I also spoke about a reddit thread I made and there were a lot of other brands there (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte and ASRock) having the same issue, and I let you guess what they have in common, the AGESA version that came from AMD, (Not to mention the contempt from AMD's customer service, but that's another story). So don't worry, I aim very well and the issue comes from them not Asus, not MSI or Gigabyte.

0 Likes

I have encountered the same issue today. I have asus x570 gaming tuf plus (non-wifi), ryzen 5600x and 16gb x2 3200mt corsair ram (its a c-die, but on  AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C it ran on 3600mhz). I have updated the bios to 4602 (ComboV2PI 1208) like 2 weeks ago, set ram oc to the same settings as on previous bios and everything was working... well not flawlessly. I hadnt had any crashes or instability, but i wasnt able to finish  a 10min cinebench render - cb world crash. I was about to Look into this in future. But today i had to enable virtualization in bios (for virtualbox) and everything went to hell. Endless bluescreens etc. I have disabled virtualization, tried tinkering with ram settings, even tried running them on stock speeds. Well at the end the pc refused to boot. Tried shuffling ram, resettting CMOS - nothing have helped. All i Got was flashing leds signaling cpu/ram problem. I thought i might have damaged the bios somehow. What have helped, and that is really bizzare is: removing the gpu and ram;booting;adding one ram stick; booting; adding gpu and second ram stick; and when Turned on it finally booted. There was some error saying that the vga card is not supported by uefi bios (well both of them are asus'es amd). But it only worked for 2 reboots - i had to redo the whole procedure again. I have flashed the bios again but it straight up refused to boot. I did that procedure again, flashed AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C bios, set ram to 3600mt and lo and behold, everything works. I have no idea what is the reason for this behaviour,  but maybe it would help someone, as it clearly isnt limited to 3xxx, at least on this motherboard+ram combo.

Sorry to hear that you have this issue, and thank you for the feedback.

On the Reddit, I saw people having this kind of issue with Ryzen 2000 - 3000 and 5000 but mostly 3000, different brands of motherboards and RAM sticks and different dies too.

0 Likes
Micheew
Adept I

I set the timings manually and got the blue screen etc etc, so only thing that works for me is as I said earlier setting the frequency to 3200mhz and everything else on auto. 

I have noticed a stuttering in games with the the newer AGESA versions.

Micheew
Adept I

Ok, I reverted back to asus bios 4021 AGESA 1.2.0.3c, and everything works as intended.

The stuttering is gone, and games run much smoother with this version aswell.

That's exactly the issue I was describing, anything above 1.2.0.3C is potentially a source of issues

renesdk
Adept II

Has anyone tried the AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.A based BIOS'es that are supposed to fix stuff for the Ryzen 5000 CPU's? I know it's not got corrections for the 3000-series, but I'm somehow hoping things will get fixed magically.

I haven't had time to try it out, but I might try it when I get vacation time.

All I can tell you is there might be hope, the SMU from AGESA 1.2.0.5 to 1.2.0.8 was the same (catastrophic one) for Matisse CPUs (Ryzen 3000) but it evolved for AGESA 1.2.0.A from 0.46.72.0 to 0.46.73.0 so maybe they fixed things, fingers crossed. As you might know I changed my kit, so I can't tell you much if it's good or not, even it's working for me.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

update bios may change the settings of some things you maybe had on to defaults.

try disable ACP power gating.. or set all your MEMORY options like interleaving to auto. 

find all the power related options and crank them to max.. no pissy eco stuff.. same AMD hardware runs on laptops and phones for days fine.. so you hardly need more eco and power saving than that

Thank you, but I won't try anything now, AMD has always been very picky with RAM since the beginning of Ryzen (at least), and since AMD made changes in the AGESA and didn't wanna fix them or help fix this (unlike Asus who helped me), the only real solutions left were either changing the RAM Kit or changing the CPU for a Ryzen 5000, I went for the cheaper solution and changed the RAM Kit. I tried the older kit on an Intel platform (and did a memtest too) just to be sure the ram Kit wasn't faulty, and it passed all tests and was stable all along.

0 Likes
balrog
Journeyman III

@GoLLuM13Thanks for bringing this up. Have BSOD issues for years until i came across your post.

My motherboard(gigabyte auros B450 pro wifi) + CPU(Ryzen 3600) + RAM(corsair vengeance pro. 4 DIMMS 3200Mhz, c-die, 16-18-18-18-36)  is now stable due to your insights and plus scraping other info on the web.

Here is what i did for posterity:
  * BIOS: Stay on AGESA 1.2.0.3. For my mobo, it's version F61. The key as you mentioned. BSODS galore for AGESA higher version. 
  * Memory: Enable XMP near 3200Mhz in BIOS. Others may need to tweak the manual settings below depending on your memory. Sample below is for my memory.
    * Enable XMP, set it to manual and:
      * change frequency from default 3200 to 3133. Putting default 3200 gives me BSOD.
      * change tRC plus 6. Example, my default is 54, so new tRC is 60. Key for stability.
    * increase VDIMM(Memory voltage) to 1.38V.
    * increase VSOC V12 to 1.125V. Mine, have to put value 1125.

Bios are all defaults and PBO enabled. Nice to hear Asus helped you, but other OEM's don't have the fix trickling down and we are left on our own devices.

To be blunt to AMD, your hardware is awesome, but your BIOS software execution is dismal at best.