cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

armadoodle
Journeyman III

Most recent Vega 56 drivers causing static after closed lid

I have a Predator Helios 500 (PH517-6) which encounters some issues with the most recent drivers. I installed them because Red Dead 2 won't run without them, as my previous drivers work with one exception - I can't access Radeon settings. For reference, the date on the working drivers is 11/13/2018.

This wasn't a dealbreaker for me, however, after installing the newer ones (19.11.1 and 19.9.2), I found that I'd get the following issue every time I closed and opened my laptop lid. Here's a video.

The only way out of the static is to hold the power button down to turn the laptop all-the-way off. It's pretty frustrating.

Is this a known issue with the current patch? If so, are there other patches that I could try to play RDR2 on? It sucks to have to chose between playing a game or having a machine that doesn't grind to a halt when the lid gets closed. 

Insight would be much appreciated!

0 Likes
6 Replies
ibanovich
Adept I

I am experiencing the same issue.

After updating the drivers the screen goes into static after closing and opening the lid.

When reinstalling older drivers, going back to the very first one fixes the problem, but 4 updates later the problem presents itself once more.

Would be nice to get a fix for this.

Greetings,

Ibn

0 Likes

Nice laptop but I use a desktop for gaming as mobile machines tend to overheat bad after a time

My old Lenovo T500 has the HD 3650 graphics which is fairly powerful for period. I ended up having to refurbish the machine when it began to overheat all the time. No fun dissecting a laptop.

The lid bug seems more likely to be the BIOS and the Windows power management settings, look in the BIOS for power management options

0 Likes

Hye, 

Could you elaborate on that?

Currently set up with a predator 500 ryzen 7 vega 56 and no heating probs

thanks in advance!

0 Likes

good idea to clean the machine regularly to make sure dust does not become a problem

check for a BIOS update and drivers for the mobile graphics tend to lag the desktop variants

if windows is not working right for power management and the lid sensor, you may need to reset windows

not seen that problem much and I am a regular with lenovo

0 Likes
atmosphere
Challenger

Maybe you solved the issue, but are you using hibernate or sleep when closing the lid? 

Or does the machine do nothing? 

If possible try sleep before closing lid, and check if all is ok. If so, the issue could be a wakeup failure form hibernate, and disabling hibernate would fix your issue at the cost of slightly higher powerconsumption with the lid closed. 

I recommend checking chipset and BIOS drivers because the issue you describe originates in most cases from a BIOS or pwm-issue not resetting pcie-bus, graphics-chip or gpu- and chipset driver. 

Hope this helps  

0 Likes
coldequation
Journeyman III

I had this same issue on the Predator Helios 500 (static on screen after resuming from sleep).
But luckily it has been resolved, as of driver 20.10.1.

0 Likes