Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thejoker
Adept I

Re: Laptop freezes while installing AMD driver

Jump to solution

Hi guys, i had similar problems with you all but i have finally discover and found solution to the problem. My laptop is acer Aspire with intel i7-4500u, with amd Radeon HD 8750M and integrated intel HD 4400. So after a clean format of my laptop i let windows to install all the updates and then i always tried to install the amd latest software but during the installation my laptop always freeze. So after so many readings, tries and fails i finally found a simple solution. I downloaded from acer website the amd drivers for windows 8.1 and in the folder Bin64 i used AMDCleanupUtility to uninstall all the components of amd. After i installed the 8.1 drivers which it was the catalyst some previous version, after the restart i downloaded the latest software of amd (adrenaline 18.2). I used custom installation and made sure the installation folder destination was at program files which is already AMD folder there. After the installation was succeeded and amd was working perfectly. This is how it looks in the devise manager. The windows 10 drivers for amd are not compatible with the latest software.

0 Likes
roy1197
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

i have a lenovo g50 80 with 2gb radeon r5 m 330 whenever i tried to install the driver the screen freezes and i have to hard reset after that the pc reboots with a black sceen and i have to launch it in safe mode to uninstall the driver from device manager to remove the black screen i have tried installing from amd auto detect but no luck the driver detects the gpu but does not install and i have also tried installing the driver from lenovo's support page

please help me out 

0 Likes
menyus420
Adept I

Jump to solution

What helped with my case was downloading the latest intel HD and radeon drivers for my iGPU and dGPU, and the latest chipset driver form the laptops page. Then:

1. Uninstall all amd and intel driver with Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.1.9 

2. install the chipset driver

3. install the intel HD driver

4. install the AMD driver

My bet would be the chipset driver is needed for the dGPU driver, but maybe it is neccessary to do all the steps.

mechgineer
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Your method has worked so far.

I hadn’t been capable of installing the Adrenalin 20.2.2 driver for my Radeon HD 8870M on a Dell Inspiron 5737 before following your advice—it would freeze the whole computer during the installation and would cause, upon forced restart, to go into black screen with/without a cursor before the login screen.

If the cursor was present on the black screen, I could enter standby by pressing the power key, exit standby and enter the login screen. If not, I would have to restart the computer. However, the Adrenalin 20.2.2 Software would not be installed, and the driver would be ‘stuck’ in the device manager, even after uninstalling the Adrenalin Software, and would have to use the Guru 3D DDU.

So three cheers to you!

As a side-note, for some reason my card has always been detected as Radeon R9 M200X by every Radeon software, even though Windows would automatically download the HD8870M from Windows Update—and would always screw things up until I disabled it. Does anyone know about the naming conventions of these ‘ancient’ cards?

0 Likes
lalongi1
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Hi, what was that worked for you? I have a samsung NP870z5e with a 8870m and the very described problem. I’ve tried a lot of thing and nothing. But your post it’s recent so I’m giving this a last chance. Please.

thx u.

0 Likes
mechgineer
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I performed all the steps mentioned by menyus420. I uninstalled all the Intel drivers (chipset, integrated video card, Bluetooth etc.) with the software provided in menyus420's link, and then all the AMD video card drivers.

I downloaded the chipset and integrated video card drivers from my manufacturer's website—and not with driver installation software such as SlimDrivers; I installed each of them and I think I restarted the computer after each installation, in the order chipset → integrated Intel video card → AMD Radeon drivers.

I haven't had any problems with the computer since then (no black screen, freezing during the AMD driver installation), although rare blue screens do happen, but I think it's not the video card's fault.

However, I turned off the update feature for the AMD drivers, since new versions of the driver aren't likely to help my old video card work better, and I wouldn't want to go back to the old misbehaviour. I'm curious to see if this solution helps, since I struggled with this problem for quite a while and without any answers. I hope it will indeed help you, lalongi1.

0 Likes
stacyc3
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

So I Got the same issue. Mine got freeze when im installing the amd radeon software. It freeze me when it was already 93%. Ive tried many things. I use DDU in safe mode and also install the software like usual but it freeze rhe laptop.

So i need to restore my laptop again and again.

Laptop specifications:

Windows 10

Ram 4 GB

GPU Amd Radeon HD 8670M 2 GB

0 Likes
thejoker
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hey guys it's been 2 years since my last reply(see up my reply for my laptops specs) and i will like you to know that i've done format my laptop for refresh many times and i've encounter the same issue and i've done the same steps to fix it and it always works. The things is i didn't wanted Microsoft updates to install my drivers from the beginning so i didn't enabled the wifi. I took my laptop's CD driver and install the catalyst amd drivers, and then just a random software install doesn't matter which update, it looks like that in pic in Device Manager, if Micro. upda will do the install its gonna be only AMD RADEON HD 8750M and that drivers are freezing, our amd drivers were catalyst and that drivers need to be the base to all of this new shity updatesUntitled.png

justviewade
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

same as me, do you have a cure man? my switchable vga is R5 m240 + hd4000, freeze after install driver and got black screen after restart, and btw what windows version that you use?

0 Likes
lalongi1
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Hi again. Well I had to do a reballing for the graphics processor. I guess due to the high temperatures desolder from the MOBO and the problem begin. So that fix the problem for me. I actually replace the MOBO for another one used but that one also have the same problem. I think it’s a common problem with amd and it’s graphics. I may think twice before a buy another amd laptop. 

0 Likes