cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

DanielTerm
Journeyman III

I recently switched from a gtx1650 to a rx6600 and many games although not all started crashing.

After I switched out my gtx 1650 with a rx 6600 and updated my bios some demanding games crashed my whole pc and made it reboot automatically only after 3 minutes of gameplay.

This is really making me want to send back the rx6600 because I have seen 0 fixes and apparently nobody else has the exact same problem as i do. I did use ddu already and installed a clean recommended version of adrenalin and chipset drivers which made the games run for 3 minutes instead of 10 seconds before it just crashes my whole pc. What can I do? I thought maybe you'd also have to reinstall windows after switching nvidia and amd since all the programs installed were previously on a nvidia system or something but as this isn't mentioned anywhere I guess I am wrong altough I have read reviews which said that reinstalling windows or switching from windows 11 to windows 10 fixed the problems for them but not that it was usually necessary. I am already considering switching from windows 10 to windows 11 just because of this problem plus i have seen benchmarks which suggest that games on windows 11 run faster and smoother.

Could a Bios update cause this? Because I usually hear people say that it's the other way around and that usually too a too old bios causes problems for them but i instantly installed the newest bios version and these problems started appearing. The bad thing is that i updated my bios just as i installed the new gpu so i am not sure wether my gpu or new bios version or weird amd driver issues are the problem here.

Some examples for games which crashed my pc are the witcher 3 next gen update with dx12 and also the classic version with dx11, Far cry 5, Borderlands 3 and Tiny tina's wonderlands (sort of like a dlc to borderlands if you didnt know this game).

I actually managed to get Tiny tina's wonderlands by deleting some game save files in the appdata directory but for the other games this did nothing. I even reinstalled the witcher 3 multiple times and switched versions with no positive results.

Mainboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk with bios version 7C02v1I from 2022-08-15

GPU: XFX RX6600 with no oc but smart access memory is enabled.

CPU: amd ryzen 7 2700x with no oc

Ram: 16GB

0 Likes
1 Solution
DanielTerm
Journeyman III

I found a fix which isn't optimal in my opinion.

Apparently when you turn off smart acces memory in the bios the crashes are fixed the only downside is that SAM usually increases FPS by at least 10 to 15 frames in my opinion. I would prefer to keep it on. Is there a way to have it enabled but don't get the crashes? Maybe downgrade the bios because my current bios has some issues with SAM or something?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
DanielTerm
Journeyman III

I found a fix which isn't optimal in my opinion.

Apparently when you turn off smart acces memory in the bios the crashes are fixed the only downside is that SAM usually increases FPS by at least 10 to 15 frames in my opinion. I would prefer to keep it on. Is there a way to have it enabled but don't get the crashes? Maybe downgrade the bios because my current bios has some issues with SAM or something?

0 Likes
simox
Journeyman III

Hi Daniel, I have a similar MSI Mobo (B450 Tomahawk MAX II) and I'm running the 7C02vH9 BIOS released on the same day as yours (2022-08-15). I have a R5 2600X and a Sapphire Pulse RX 6600, have you ever had problems with previous BIOS versions? I am asking because you have pretty much the same config as mine and I'm also facing strange issues related to black screens and stutters with this card, opposed to my old GTX 1050 Ti which worked like a charm with zero issues whatsoever.  Thanks in advance for any answers.

0 Likes