cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jared2608
Adept I

Higher than normal CPU usage after installing Radeon 2020 Software

Installed Radeon 2020 software with 19.12.2 driver.  I noticed that my CPU (Ryzen 5 2600), is now constantly sitting between 13% and 20% usage, and the clock speed is stuck at 3.60Ghz, it never gets to clock down like it used to.  The AMD software shows as using up to 12% of the CPU and never less than 10% of the CPU according to the Windows task manager. 

Windows 10 x64

Ryzen 5 2600

16GB DDR4 3200Mhz

Western Digital Blue 500GB SSD

Is this normal or is there something wrong here?

48 Replies
nmsrmc
Journeyman III

Re: Higher than normal CPU usage after installing Radeon 2020 Software

Hi, I'm also having the same issue on my lenovo 330s-15arr with Ryzen 5 2500U, my frequency becomes stuck at 2,85 GHz, which increases temperatures and keeps the fan at high speed.

jared2608
Adept I

Yeah, when I close the process in Task Manager, it goes back to 1% idle and the clock speed drops to 2.0Ghz or even less.  I'm pretty disappointed in these new drivers, I got my RX580 nearly two years ago and I haven't had any driver issues but with this one I've had high CPU usage, and I've had to disable Enhanced Sync because the video was freezing in games until you Alt+Tab out and back in again, then it refreshes and freezes again until you repeat the process.  I'm going to downgrade back to old drivers.

hsyong
Journeyman III

Hi, I just updated to 19.12.2  and have the same issue (high CPU around 30%). Have you solved the problem on your machine? What is the solution?

Thanks.

angobango
Journeyman III

Have exactly the same problem as jared2608 GPU using 30% of CPU on my dell inspiron 5770 => causing significant heat & annoying fan noises... after cancelling the process from task manager CPU usage is down to 1-2 % and i can go on working undisturbed...Fix it ASAP AMD its a shame...

hscrugby
Adept I

Anyone had any luck?  I tried going to .3, hoping it was better.  But now i'm at 30% instead of 20% usage.    

redhunter
Adept I

Running a brand new Ryzen 3 3200G on an ASRock B450M-Pro4 motherboard with Windows 10 Home for nearly two weeks, here, with version 19.12.3, and I am having the exact same issue. The CPU being continously "busy" for about 30% with "Radeon Software" running. When I stop it in Task Manager, the CPU usage drops to 1%.

I sent AMD "feedback" about this, for whatever that was/is worth...

Is there a way to prevent "Radeon Software" from starting up at all?

I am not at all a "fan" of this new "panel": it is WAY too "busy" (and full with things that are of no use to me; gaming?). The Catalyst Control Center from back in the days was much 'better'.

AMD, please look into this...

0 Likes
hscrugby
Adept I

So I had an issue with a photo editing software and they suggested I run a full uninstall/clean.  I used this: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.2.1  did a COMPLETE uninstall, clean, reboot clean install offline, and NOW mine is working like it should.  I definitely agree with you that it's a busy interface, and seems "heavy" but resource wise now it's staying at 0% cpu, and 32mb of ram.  so I think it's just something that gets corrupted in an upgrade.    Good luck, and hopefully cleaning it will help your issue too.  Annoyingly, my throttling case fans still don't throttle down, but that's some other issue to track down.  CPU usage goes to nothing and the temperatures are nice and low.  

bobdinro
Journeyman III

I have same issue, ryzen 7 1700 and rx560, 1 core of cpu maximum utilization. AMD take all old drivers from site, just the adrenalin 2020 awaylable... this is the most stupid company I ever seen.

The registration process of this forum is F..in HORRIBLE, human validation preocess is imposible, they put that for stoping people to register on this crap website.

Im going back to intel and NVIDIA everithing from amd is STUPID and waste of money and time.

0 Likes
redhunter
Adept I

hscrugby, your suggestion made me think of something (of which I did not think sooner)

I have an old (Intel based) computer with an RX 560. It too has the Radeon Software - but version 19.12.2, and on that PC the "Radeon Software" does not make the CPU run at 30% continously. So, I have just now removed 19.12.3 on my little, brand new Ryzen 3 3200G computer and installed version 19.12.2.

And with SUCCES, because now the CPU stays at 1%-2% at idle.

Conclusion: there seems to be some kind of bug (or whatever it is) in Radeon Software Ver.19.12.3?

Thank you for the idea, hscrugby. Gave you a * (star) for it!

0 Likes