cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bennys
Adept I

GPU Fan not spinning but it reports ~3000 RPM

Unforturtunately I have a weird problem with FAN Control.

After Windows boot, AMD Radeon Software shows about ~3000 RPM fan speed on my GPU but I can see that the fans are not even moving.

If I put at least 3000-3500 RPM manually, then fans start spinning but if I want it under 3000 (so for example I put it to 1500), fans stops and it start saying ~3000 RPM again.

Automatic fan control also doesn't work. On high GPU load it reaches 80-85C temperature and fans are still not spinning. Instead of that, GPU starts decrasing the frequency...

The most interesting thing is that 3rd party app (AIDA64) also shows fan RPM wrong. (~3000 RPM while fans are stopped)

On cold boot GPU fan spins up then it still spinning on low RPM till Windows boot then it stops.

I have a 3-way Crossfire setup so I got 3 GPUs and all of them has this problem so I think it is a software/driver failure, not hardware fault.

I tried to search about this on the internet but I've found nothing. Everybody is complaining about it stucked on 0RPM or something else but there is not even similar problem like mine.

Setup:

ASUS Strix R9 Fury 3-way Crossfire

AMD FX-9590

ASUS Rog Crosshair V Formula-Z

ASUS Rog Thor 1200W

G.Skill TridentX 32GB DDR3 2400Mhz

Windows 10 Pro (Fresh install)

Adrenalin 21.5.2 Recommended (WHQL)

015.049.000.004.000000 VBIOS

How can I fix this? Thank you for help!

0 Likes
4 Replies

So, you do realize 21.5.2 is last driver (no further problem fixes etc..), and crossfire support is dead.

Where you might find support is with custom (non official) drivers, try guru3d forum, or overclockers forums owners threads might have suggestions.

Basically now crossfire/multi gpu support is on the game Devs., and current/future single cards outweigh/outperform crossfire setups of old.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Thank you for reply!

Yea, you are right the technology I'm using is completely dead, I just wanted to try this out once in my life.

I will check out the unofficial drivers and I will replace the 3 Fury with 1 powerful card in the future.

0 Likes
EFermi
Miniboss

If the fans accept, as you say, manual speed input, use MSI Afterburner and configure fan curves. Problem solved. 

0 Likes

Unfortunately it only accept between ~3000 and MAX.

Under 3000 the fans stop but still reporting the 3000 RPM.

But thank you for help!

I will run a DDU then try out unofficial driver.

0 Likes