cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pupha
Adept II

Re: Can't install amdgpu drivers on Ubuntu 20.04.1 (5.4.0-56-generic)

Jump to solution

I've tried installing without oibaf to receive the same error code. I have no idea what's going to work and what's not. I've uninstalled, deleted, downloaded, extracted and installed several times. There was a spell where I didn't wait long enough before extracting and that is probably what you see here else the download is funky. I'll check

0 Likes
pupha
Adept II

Jump to solution

@mountkiddMy current download of 1188099 has listed properties of 175 items, totalling 825.9 MB

0 Likes
bridgman
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Seems to be something wierd going on with the forum - none of my recent replies are visible, and mountkidd's post seems to have disappeared as well.

I'll go back through the last page or two, figure out which of my posts disappeared, and try to recreate where useful.

0 Likes
mountkidd
Adept II

Jump to solution

@pupha   Back home now...  I will outline the steps to follow for your install and you can cross-check this against what you have tried.

You have kernel 5.4.0-65 and a RX5500.  Can you confirm the installed version of Ubuntu & kernel?  In a terminal, use command lsb_release -sd   and  uname -r   to confirm the kernel

Assuming you are on Ubuntu 20.04.1 and given kernel 5.4.0-65, you must now use amdgpu 20.45 (1188099). and I assume you tried to install the -pro version. Confirm this as well...  amdgpu 20.40 only works on kernels 5.4.0-54 and earlier and probably doesn't support your card either, so it's a non-starter!

You have previously downloaded the amdgpu 20.45 bundle and extracted the contents to a convenient local directory.  cd to that directory.  There should be about 127 files, mostly .deb's and several install scripts.  

Uninstall previous amdgpu attempts with sudo ./amdgpu-pro-install --uninstall  and rebootYou can log all this using the script command - very useful for tracing things back...  If you also tried to install the generic version of amdgpu, then sudo ./amdgpu-install --uninstall  and reboot to ensure it all gets cleaned up.

Freshen up the packages list with sudo apt update, apt list --upgradable  and update anything that shows up.

Then, sudo ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=rocmrocm replaces the previous pal option and is required to support cards newer than Vega10, ie your RX5500 (navi 14).  script this as well so you can trace back through the install process.  Then reboot, one more time.

After the install, recheck /usr/src/amdgpu...1188099/ for number of files and size.

Let me know how this compares to what you have been doing...

baszczer
Adept III

Jump to solution

"Then, sudo ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=rocmrocm replaces the previous pal option..."

rocm->rocr

dmk
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Just spent the last few days banging my head against this. To summarise the previous hundreds of posts with what got me working.....

Fresh install of ubuntu 20.4.1 updated to 20.4.2 with Vulcan sdk 1.2148 and OIBAF graphic-drivers ppa

AS OF DRIVER 20.45 & UBUNTU 20.04.2- driver won't play with hwe stack, solution :- downgrade to GA kernel as ubuntu wiki  and this prev. post 

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
wget -qO - https://packages.lunarg.com/lunarg-signing-key-pub.asc | sudo apt-key add -
sudo wget -qO /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lunarg-vulkan-1.2.148-focal.list https://packages.lunarg.com/vulkan/1.2.148/lunarg-vulkan-1.2.148-focal.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt install vulkan-sdk
sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic
reboot
sudo apt remove --purge linux-generic-hwe-20.04 linux-oem-20.04 linux-hwe-* linux-oem-* linux-modules-5.1* linux-modules-5.8.0-* linux-modules-5.6.0-*
./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=rocr,legacy
sudo apt install clinfo
clinfo
sudo apt-get install vulkan-utils
vulkaninfo

I'm not sure how much of that is nescessary (and I am not about to waste any more time finding out),but I now have a working driver

Note if the installation fails at the dkms part, uninstall with ./amdgpu-pro-install --uninstall then sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-amdgpu.conf to reset your graphics driver.

0 Likes
pupha
Adept II

Jump to solution

Back myself.

After going line by line I still got this:

Errors were encountered while processing:
amdgpu-dkms
amdgpu
amdgpu-pro-rocr-opencl
amdgpu-pro
amdgpu-pro-lib32
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

0 Likes
mountkidd
Adept II

Jump to solution

@pupha   Are you installing from a terminal /commandline or using package managers like Discover or Synaptic?

Please post the commandline output from:

lsb_release -sd

uname -r

your complete  amdgpu-*   install command string

That's quite the mix of error messages - from both amdgpu & amdgpu-pro ???  Can you pick out & post specific errors that were reported?

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) looks like a Windows message.  Are you running under an emulator or vm? 

This is becoming an episode from Stranger Things... 

0 Likes
pupha
Adept II

Jump to solution

I was a dunce and did this on 20.04.2 and now can't see a 20.04.1 archive download. Going to try the other listed response above my reply since I'm on this version for now.

0 Likes
pupha
Adept II

Jump to solution

The 20.04.2 installation method listed above fails due to nomodeset (which is required to prevent black screen) interfering with the installation. Given that it is installing a driver, drivers being explicitly deactivated unsurprisingly interferes with that. I shall continue looking for the 20.04.1 download unless I also find a workaround for this. A solution is hinted at here but is unhelpfully vague: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/open-source-amd-linux/1087162-hel...

0 Likes