GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Intel i7 13700KF

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite

BIOS Version: F21 (Checksum : D56E)

RAM: 4x 8GB Gskill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB D4 3200

PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 850W

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 11 PRO 22621.1265

GPU Drivers: AMD 23.2.2 and previous versions

Description of Original Problem: Most of the time while/after playing a game, AMD Adrenalin stops working/breaks/becomes unusable. Opening AMD Adrenalin through the right-click context menu does nothing (if the context menu entry has not already completely disappeared anyway). Opening it using windows search leaves me with a random result of an invisible, a missing or a broken Adrenalin window. cut off.pngtransparent.pngbugged.png

Weirdly, the AMD Overlay settings (Alt+R) will still work in game. Using one of the mentioned temporary fixes below to get back into AMD Adrenalin works, but as long as the context entry is missing, AMD Adrenalin will crash every time I use the context menu. It tries to load the missing entry each time, fails and displays the context menu without it.

context-menu.png

Troubleshooting: I tried resetting AMD Adrenalin to default settings, reinstalling the drivers using DDU with factory reset and using the previous drivers from AMD. I did a lot of research and saw ppl having a similar issue years ago, one saying the issue is connected to "gmdb.blb" located in C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\AMD\CN. Deleting the file will solve the problem in the short term after it occurs, but will not provide a permanent solution. Locking or renaming the file may fix the problem, but will cause problems with the game specific profiles not activating/storing/ending. Another temporary fix I found is to close all AMD related processes and to restart AMD Adrenalin, which works sometimes. Rebooting the PC always fixes the issue.

Steps to reproduce: Launch a game (anything that makes use of the AMD Overlay and uses fullscreen/borderless fullscreen), open the Overlay (Alt+R). Then try to open Adrenalin using the context menu and/or using windows search (launch Adrenalin as Admin if its not working). The issue will occur after a while, but not always.

0 Likes
0 Replies