Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Inflames626
Journeyman III

AMD Adrenalin 24.4.1 won't maximize from taskbar Windows 10

Hello everyone.
I have an AMD Radeon 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ graphics card running on Windows 10.

It is paired with an ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi motherboard, AMD Ryzen 9 3950x processor, and 128 gb of Corsair DDR4 RAM.

All Windows 10 updates as of April 26, 2024 are installed except for the 2024-01 Security Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034441), which keeps prompting me to retry. I assume it will sort itself out eventually.

I installed AMD Adrenalin version 24.4.1 today. The program will load and it displays a preview when I hover the cursor over it.

However, I cannot maximize the program to make any adjustments. Right clicking to maximize only retains the preview. Right clicking again shows everything grayed out except for restore, minimize, and close.

This has been a persistent problem, but normally only when AMD updates the Adrenalin client to the point where it cannot be updated within the client itself because the client becomes unresponsive or it prompts for a new client version. This seems to happen once a year or so. Usually I would download the new version manually and install it and all would work well. But this time the inability to maximize is persisting.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Adrenalin client with its own uninstall program. I am afraid to go much deeper with a program like DDU because I do not want to boot to a black screen.

The computer already does strange things. I have the computer connected both via DisplayPort and HDMI to an ASUS VP32UQ 4k 32" monitor.

After the splash screen, the monitor will go black until I manually toggle the monitor for DisplayPort input. Going DisplayPort alone doesn't show the splash screen. Going HDMI alone leaves a black screen until I power the monitor off and back on.

I have installed ASUS's drivers for the VP32UQ monitor from 2020 on both driver entries.

My guess is the AMD drivers will have to be removed and reinstalled on a much deeper level, but again I fear booting to a black screen if something goes wrong.

I have noticed issues like this with Windows 10's news feed before. Often if one clicks on the weather/temperature the window will not open until one clicks on the notification window, even if it is empty. After this is done, the feed works normally.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

It does sound like you have an ongoing Windows issue, possibly some other software conflicts.

1. I recommend unplugging the HDMI cable and only using the DisplayPort cable. Having both cables connected will cause issues with both the monitor's and Windows' auto-detection functionality and likely explains some of the strange behavior you're seeing.
  2. Try running DISM and SFC to repair any broken Windows core files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-...
  3. Then uninstall with AMD Cleanup Utility / DDU in safe mode and re-install 24.4.1 and check the Factory Reset option. You shouldn't experience a black screen when booting into Safe Mode as long as you use the DisplayPort cable only (there are compatibility issues with Safe Mode and HDMI).
  4. There have been many reports here of issues with the 24.x.x drivers. Consider installing 23.12.1 or 23.11.x after the ACU procedure if you wish to use Adrenalin.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JackAward
Adept I

If AMD Adrenalin 24.4.1 won't maximize from the taskbar in Windows 10, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. **Restart the AMD Adrenalin Software**: Sometimes, software glitches can cause issues with window behavior. Try closing the AMD Adrenalin software completely and then reopening it to see if that resolves the problem.

2. **Update Graphics Drivers**: Make sure that your graphics drivers are up to date. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause compatibility issues with software. Visit the AMD website to download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card.

3. **Check for Software Updates**: Ensure that you have the latest version of AMD Adrenalin installed. Check for updates through the AMD Radeon Software application or the AMD website.

4. **Restart Windows Explorer**: Sometimes, issues with the taskbar or window management can be resolved by restarting the Windows Explorer process. To do this, right-click on the taskbar, select "Task Manager," find "Windows Explorer" in the list of processes, right-click on it, and select "Restart."

5. **Run AMD Adrenalin as Administrator**: Right-click on the AMD Adrenalin shortcut or executable file and select "Run as administrator." This can sometimes resolve permissions issues that may be preventing the software from maximizing correctly.

6. **Check Taskbar Settings**: Make sure that the taskbar settings are configured correctly. Right-click on the taskbar, go to "Taskbar settings," and ensure that the "Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode" option is turned off.

7. **Reset AMD Adrenalin Settings**: If none of the above steps work, you can try resetting the AMD Adrenalin settings to their default values. This can be done within the AMD Radeon Software application by navigating to the settings or preferences menu.

8. **Contact AMD Support**: If the issue persists, you may need to contact AMD support for further assistance. They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or escalate the issue if it's a known bug or compatibility issue with the software.

0 Likes
Inflames626
Journeyman III

Thank you, JackAward.

Today I booted the computer from a cold boot after being shut off all night.

After the ASUS ROG splash screen and swirling circle, the screen began to flash various colors while Windows continued to do things in the background (I could see the SSD activity light working).

I had to reset the PC and on the second attempt the system booted. However on the Windows 10/11 dual boot screen, I still have to toggle the monitor to DisplayPort to see it first.

Now AMD Adrenalin does not load to system tray at startup.

When I start it manually from the start menu I can see the Adrenalin icon and the preview of the window, but again it will not maximize so I cannot make adjustments, even when I run Adrenalin as administrator.

So, I have tried 1-6. I cannot do 7 because I cannot maximize the Window.

I do not see a place on the site to contact AMD support directly.

I have downloaded the AMD cleanup utility. I suspect running it will fix the problem. However I am concerned I will get a black screen if all drivers are removed.

That said, there still be some display driver. If it didn't, how would Windows display anything when the card is first installed and before Adrenalin drivers are installed?

My concern is what to do if the screen goes black after POST or the splash screen.

While I am used to BIOS machines that would display POST, newer UEFI machines are more difficult for me to troubleshoot because so much remains hidden and getting into safe mode is more difficult.

I assume if the screen goes black I restart in safe mode with networking and then install necessary drivers.

I would appreciate any other advice to make sure the cleanup utility does not prevent the display from working.

Thank you. 

0 Likes
Inflames626
Journeyman III

An update on this:

I uninstalled Adrenalin 24.4.1 and then ran the AMD cleanup utility in Windows 10 safe mode. I reinstalled 24.4.1. I did not do a factory reset.

Even after all this Adrenalin is not maximizing from the taskbar. 

0 Likes
Inflames626
Journeyman III

Another update:
Again I uninstalled Adrenalin 24.4.1, then ran AMD cleanup utility. I reinstalled 24.4.1 with a factory reset.

During the installation the screen flickered on and off like normal. This time it displayed the Windows desktop background but none of the icons and stayed that way for several minutes. I had to do a hard reset and reboot to get things working normally again.

Adrenalin still will not maximize from the Windows 10 taskbar.

Again, I will have to uninstall 24.4.1. When I reinstall it, I will only install the drivers.

Until Adrenalin works properly again, I cannot use it to adjust my fans.

I feel as though the most recent Adrenalin editions and drivers have been coded poorly. This could be due to recent issues with Windows Update.

2024-01 Security Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034441) still will not install correctly 3+ months later and I am not about to resize my boot drive's recovery partition manually in order to fix it.

I suppose this issue will remain unresolved until the next version of Adrenalin is released in approximately a month.

0 Likes

It does sound like you have an ongoing Windows issue, possibly some other software conflicts.

1. I recommend unplugging the HDMI cable and only using the DisplayPort cable. Having both cables connected will cause issues with both the monitor's and Windows' auto-detection functionality and likely explains some of the strange behavior you're seeing.
  2. Try running DISM and SFC to repair any broken Windows core files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-...
  3. Then uninstall with AMD Cleanup Utility / DDU in safe mode and re-install 24.4.1 and check the Factory Reset option. You shouldn't experience a black screen when booting into Safe Mode as long as you use the DisplayPort cable only (there are compatibility issues with Safe Mode and HDMI).
  4. There have been many reports here of issues with the 24.x.x drivers. Consider installing 23.12.1 or 23.11.x after the ACU procedure if you wish to use Adrenalin.

Thank you 432hz. Knowing that the version 24 drivers have given a lot of people problems makes me want to sit this out a few months and wait for a more stable upgrade.

To be fair to AMD, I don't think this is just their problem. Recent Windows update features seem to be causing developers issues.

For example, my updating Corsair's iCUE RGB software actually made iCUE totally disappear from my system except in Program Manager. The RGB still works as programmed, though.

Is there an issue with DisplayPort connections not displaying splash screens?

I seem to remember connecting HDMI device to my monitor so I could see the splash screen on startup and know everything is working correctly. If I didn't use HDMI, the screen would stay dark (but backlit) most of the time and I would have to toggle the monitor off and on to see the Windows account password screen.

I will also check Device Manager to see if removing the HDMI connection removes one of the monitor drivers there. My monitor is listed twice. My guess is this is because it is connected via DisplayPort and HDMI at the same time.

0 Likes

Shouldn't be any problem with DisplayPort displaying the boot screen / splash screen.

It might just be your GPU only outputs to 1 of the DisplayPort ports during boot.

• Try removing the HDMI cable and using the DisplayPort cable in 1 port.
  • If that port doesn't work, try the other port.
  • Disable the auto-detect feature of your monitor during this testing process and set it to DisplayPort.

It sounds like you have some Windows issues. Consider a reinstall: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reinstall-windows-d8369486-3e33-7d9c-dccc-859e2b022fc7

0 Likes

DisplayPort is still not showing the splash screen in either port, which is why I remember now using both HDMI and DisplayPort at once. If I use HDMI alone I seem to remember getting a lot of blurry swirling colors at startup.

I do not see an auto detect on/off feature on my monitor, either in its own menu or in Windows 10. This is an earlier ASUS 4k monitor from 2020-1 so that may be a reason.

Removing the HDMI plug does seem to make the system a bit faster and more responsive. It also removed the second monitor driver in Device Manager. It now starts at a black screen and goes to a Windows 10/11 dual boot screen after a time loading. The screen is either not backlit or is backlit on and off at various points, making it hard to tell what is going on.

Apparently, DisplayPort not showing splash screens is a known issue. Entering "displayport no splash screen" into Google brings up numerous results.

I will probably have to use the HDMI cable again if I am troubleshooting since I cannot see anything during the boot process.

System File Checker said there were no integrity errors.

Again, I blame recent Windows Update issues which are causing a number of developers to code unstable software.

I will see if uninstalling and reinstalling iCUE makes it return.

I will also see if there is an issue with updating Sapphire's TRIXX program.

I am really only interested in Adrenlin so I can adjust fan speed. I do not use most of its features.

0 Likes
Inflames626
Journeyman III

Another update:

Uninstalled Adrenalin 24.4.1. Ran AMD cleanup utility in safe mode. Rebooted. Reinstalled AMD drivers only with factory reset (no Adrenalin).

Again during install the screen flickered and Windows made sounds as if hardware was being connected and disconnected from USB ports.

Eventually the desktop returned but it had no icons, taskbar, or mouse cursor. Restarting the display adapter would make a beep and briefly bring up the taskbar and clock before it would hide itself. The icons, taskbar, and cursor did not return.

Again I had to do a hard reboot. The new driver is showing, but the last time my graphics card and Adrenalin worked without issue was around 2/22/24. I know this because there is a large gap until 4/7/24, when I started having difficulties updating Adrenalin.

I have run System File Checker and have no issues there.

Device Manager says the following on my graphics card:

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_731F&SUBSYS_E4091DA2&REV_C1\6&13aa1004&0&00000019 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem2.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: amduw23g
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 00xC0000E5

Again, recent AMD drivers seem to be garbage. This shouldn't be an issue on Windows 10 and a 5 year old graphics card.

0 Likes