Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

soldier989
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Adrenaline - Ultrawide Resolution Issue on Wakeup

When waking up my Ultrawide LG 34gk950f from sleep, the resolution of my monitor goes to 1200x800 and has black bars on the left and right side. The issue is resolved by either powercycling the monitor, reseating the DP cable, toggling the display port in the monitor between 1.4 and 1.2 or rebooting the PC. Thinking that the monitor may be starting slower than the 6900xt, I played with Windows power settings, nothing helped. I've turned off HDCP, freesync and all other settings within Adrenaline, this did not solve the issue. Installing the monitors latest driver did not solve the issue. Swapping to another DP cable did not solve the issue. Tried a RTX 3080 and could not duplicate the issue. Uninstalling/reinstalling the latest driver/adrenaline did not solve the issue (DDU was used for a clean wipe).

I did a clean boot of Windows and ended the Adrenaline process. When my monitor went to sleep, it woke up with the correct resolution. Tested this multiple times and each wake up worked correctly. I then started Adrenaline, let the monitor go to sleep, and the resolution issue returned. 

I uninstalled the driver and adrenaline software again, then installed ONLY the 6900xt driver. Ever since doing this, waking my monitor up from sleep has been fine. It seems something between Adrenaline and having an ultrawide monitor is causing this issue. I already reported the issue to AMD, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this problem or found a fix. At the least, making the community aware of my problem may help someone down the road too.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS X570 TUF Pro-WiFi (SAM/BAR enabled)
CPU: AMD 5600x
RAM: 32gb G.Skill 3600Mhz 16-16-16-28
GPU: Sapphire 6900xt reference
Monitor: LG 34gk950f

0 Kudos
72 Replies
GreyMata
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Adrenaline - Ultrawide Resolution Issue on Wakeup

I have the same monitor and the 5700XT Red Devil

Same issues as yourself on DP and not on HDMI, this is a driver issue I think as I can work fine on 20.9.1

I have tried rebuilds, clean driver installs, and nothing is working, if I use 20.9.1 and earlier it all works, if I use 20.11 or 20.12 then I get the resolution issue and I have to reboot or pull cables from the monitor and its annoying now.

I have tried all sorts and I can't get the issue to resolve on the latest driver.

If I lock the machine, the monitor will go to sleep after 5 mins, come back 20 mins later and I get the same resolution issue.

I will keep checking the thread in case you find a resolution for this, I have raised bug reports for months via the driver but every new one doesn't seem to resolve the issue :(

UPDATE:

Grabbed the 20.12.1 drivers, turned off Freesync via the monitors OSD and turned off freesync in the AMD drivers and now it will wake sometimes without he resolution issue but you do get the black screen issue! Still have to turn the monitor off to sort it. Will stick on the 20.9.1 for the forseeable I think and try again in a few months.

0 Kudos
tonn333
Adept I
Adept I

Same problem with same display and gpu (but MSI). 

Did you ever find a solution?

0 Kudos
GreyMata
Adept I
Adept I

No solution as yet, I can either have new drivers and get a black screen when waking the monitor after locking Windows, or I can go on an older driver and not get the issues.

Drivers 20.9.1 work for me at present. I am temped just to turn off the monitor sleep and just power down the monitor when I walk away from it for now.

With 20.12.1 I have had to turn off FreeSync on the monitor and also in the AMD driver. I think I am just going to stay on 20.9.1 as they are stable.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
soldier989
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Update on my side, incase AMD reads this. 

Installed a Asrock 6900xt Phantom D, issue persists, so it's not a fault with the card I had. (As well as others confirming they have the same issue)

I've not tried the driver you mentioned since it doesn't claim to support the 6900xt. It's an idea, I may give it a try at some point. 

Do either of you have VR setup by chance? I do, and I'm thinking that Adrenaline is waking up both devices at the same time, and my VR's headset is quicker. Which then Windows is "extending" or "cloning" the display to match it's resolution to my monitor, even though it's not set to do that. An odd thing I noticed when I first got the 6900xt is that my VR's display is always on when plugged into the hdmi port after installing Adrenaline. To get that to shut off, I have to go into Steam, open VR up and shut it down, and the headset no longer stays on. But, just maybe, there's still a wakeup signal coming from the headset. I have unplugged the VR's hdmi port from the card, but haven't had a chance to test.

0 Kudos
GreyMata
Adept I
Adept I

Morning,

I don't have a VR headset but you got me thinking, I do have the usb cable from the monitor to the PC and I am wondering if the USB is causing an issue, I will disconnect it and try with newer drivers and see what happens.

I will update this after work this evening and let you know how I get one, will reduce the connection to the one DP1.4 cable. I may jump down to the HDMI 2.0b and just game at 85hz and see if I get the issue on HDMI.

UPDATE:

So I do not want to curse this but I used the cleaner utility again, installed 20.12.1 and unplugged the USB cable from the monitor to the PC and its not done it since so it might be that the USB was waking at the same time and causing issues. not sure how but not seen the error as yet.

Does your VR headset have USB attached to it too?

I will keep it as it is for now and will update later tonight after its been used for several hours and locked etc to test this. Seems a weird bug.

0 Kudos
vidko
Adept II
Adept II

Hi guys! I already reported that issue here, but no replies yet.

At least this thread got some traction.

I can confirm the issue as well, and really annoyed by it. Turning the monitor off and back on resolves it, but is just a temporary solution.

0 Kudos
GreyMata
Adept I
Adept I

Same as yourself, I have reported this with every driver version since 20.9.1 and nothing has helped so far.

Mind my monitor is still working like a dream on the 20.12.1 drive atm with me disconnecting the usb cable used to update the monitor OSB/software for the LG ultra wide. I will keep monitoring it and see how I get on.

UPDATE:

Just happened again, will go back to 20.9.1 for now until its fixed.

Out of interest are you all on Display Port connections or HDMI?

0 Kudos
tonn333
Adept I
Adept I

DisplayPort

0 Kudos
vidko
Adept II
Adept II

I'm on DisplayPort as well and the monitor is also a 34GK950F. I have this issue with latest 20.12.1 only.

I just disconnected the USB cable and will report in the morning.

0 Kudos