cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

djasthma
Adept III

Adrenaline 23.9.2 Freezing Bug

I saw a few similar posts highlighting similar symptoms to what i have seen and thought I should make a new post, detailing what i found and what I sent AMD in the support ticket. Hopefully, this work around "fixes" your issue until the next driver drops (which might be soon given the windows update and other titles and this issue itself. 

So, this is how I could replicate the issue with 23.9.2

Open edge (all chromium-based browsers may have this issue), play a video. The issue might not come up in immediately sometimes might take 24h+ for it to show up and the screen will freeze when you try to interact with the playing video, or it's window. I assume it has to do with how hardware acceleration of the browser interacts with the driver, as it did not happen before 23.9.2. When hitting ctrl+alt+del, it will be delayed but when the choice of what to do (on windows 11) comes up, it is responsive and has no issue, even as far as to selecting "lock pc" the audio will continue to play, and the system will be responsive. When selecting task manager, the freezing continues until another window covers the video or you manage to close the browser. After doing further analysis of the issue and how it presents itself, i think it is linked to the browser (edge in my case) and how hardware acceleration is used by it while using the 23.9.2 driver, as no other apps (graphically intensive games like starfield and cyberpunk 2077 included) present this issue and no errors are found in my event manager while this is happening, so it appears to be "normal" behaviour by the apps and the OS. If you take off hardware acceleration should not have the issue. I suspect this means any app which uses gpu acceleration the same way the browser does would have a similar issue.

This is basically what i sent AMD, i shall keep you posted on what they say and if i find out more as i work with this issue.

1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the posts, however we already have an existing topic on this issue. We are currently investigating, and will update the thread below when we have more information to share. 

Please use the thread below to track status updates and to provide your feedback going forward. 

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/freezes-and-black-screen-when-browing-and-watching-vid...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Stanmore
Adept III

I can't replicate the issue. I've tried repeatedly.

I have on an old RX580X however. Win 11 Pro 22H2.

I did initially install the first offering of 23.9.2 but saw on another forum a combo driver had replaced the initial 23.9.2 so grabbed that and currently running on it.

Maybe this is just an issue with non Polaris/Vega cards.

Have had no issues at all.

0 Likes
chanhkochua
Journeyman III

Adrenaline 23.9.2 has an problem clock vram gets stuck at 0 MHz if you enable adapter sync and will crash, freezing when you start the game... This happens with some monitors. Tt was disappointing when I switched to amd gpu. Drivers are terrible

0 Likes
ViperScythe
Journeyman III

Oh god, I am going mad thinking about the cause of my freezing issue, I forgot how terrible AMD driver is in the past.

My new pc also suddenly start freezing, the cause are:

Opening multiple browser, I use Opera GX, Edge, and Chrome together.

Minimize an app, it doesn't need to be the browser, every time I minimize my eclipse, process explorer, or intel xtu, my pc would stop working for a few seconds, audio are still played, pushing the media stop button on my keyboard doesn't work.

Why I end up thinking that the problem is the amd driver:

New update just a few days ago.

I check every part of my pc, clock speed, temp, page fault, disk health, and everything is normal.

Also, I want to say *censored* you to amd for making it super hard to find older driver. Especially knowing your track record of terrible driver.

GPU: RX 6800 CPU: 13600K

0 Likes
lavisa
Adept I

I have pretty much the exact same issue with 6750 XT. It also happens when using VDI, so probably related to hardware acceleration in general.

0 Likes
djasthma
Adept III

okay, here we go, 23.9.3 is WHQL and is different from the beta drivers which were released over the weekend, so fingers crossed, I shall update the thread with my findings. 

Update: 23.9.3 WHQL installed, so far its all good, but 23.9.2 took about 24 hours for the issue to show up, so hopefulliy in 24 hours i shall have good news, or you shall hear from me earlier . furthermore, with the expected windows update being released today, we shall see if it also plays well with that.

0 Likes
djasthma
Adept III

Update: no beuno on 23.9.3 WHQL after the windows update too, same issue, sending a new ticket to amd.

I have noticed that it impacts apps which go full screen, so browsers a a serious issue, while I had it hang on the settings app as well. 

0 Likes

Thank you for the update.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the posts, however we already have an existing topic on this issue. We are currently investigating, and will update the thread below when we have more information to share. 

Please use the thread below to track status updates and to provide your feedback going forward. 

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/freezes-and-black-screen-when-browing-and-watching-vid...

0 Likes