Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ShomiRAC
Adept I

3 Years later - still no option to fully disable FreeSync [AOC monitors]

Hello.

There are quite a bit of posts regarding this topic over the years already, it's time to refresh it since AMD still didn't do anything about this issue for so long. Users with some older AOC monitors like 271qx like myself do NOT have an option to disable FreeSync on the monitor OSD. Disabling it on the driver does nothing.
Ofcourse, without the AMD driver and in Safe Mode, FreeSync is disabled and everything works properly.

I was able to fix this issue previously on my rx 590, but now I got a 7900 XT and am unable to do the same thing.
https://imgur.com/rWJOKKO

The reason I need to disable FreeSync is that it's the only option to enable Low Input Lag mode and overdrive.

Thanks in advance.

15 Replies
xlox
Forerunner

interresting , i don't have a solution, but maybe a question,
i have a so called freesync monitor too (in marketing description from the brand it is said 'freesync' and every reviewer or youtubers i read, copied this description to advert it was, but not sure they really always test things) and i considered it was scam and thought i didn't have freesync in reality, because i also don't have any option in OSD to disable or enable it , or even not any info about that feature in monitor manual.. .. does adrenalin application tell you it is supported ? because mine say "not supported" in general game option... but i still have the option to choose "activated" in specific games options , but i really don't know if this works ...  as it says 'not supported' in general games options.. that would mean "not activated" in windows , but "activable" or "not activable" in games ( ?) do you have the same thing maybe ? my monitor is lg 43ud79-b

0 Likes

Yes I have it activated as You can see on the picture I provided. It is reported by the monitor even though I've completely disabled it in the CRU. It is so annoying not being able to just disable it COMPLETELY.

0 Likes

ok thanks , so mine is really scam as you show me how it should be reported by adrenalin if it was freesync ...

so what you say is you disable in adrenalin and monitor says 'on' or something like that ? how did you do to "fix" it on 590 ?

as 7900 have new drivers and not the same as rx500 or rx6000 you should really report in adrenalin report tool if you think there is a bug here

0 Likes

I used CRU, Custom Resolution Utility to disable it.

0 Likes

maybe i say non sense , but , as CRU is "affecting" monitor parameters, did you check if your monitor driver is up to date ? windows usually installs a generic driver and you may have a specific drivers with your monitor ?

Yes of course, I've tried everything. They just have to make an option that completely disables FreeSync as nvidia has.

0 Likes
Gkirmathal
Adept II

Yep I noticed this as well when trying to debug my black screen gpu driver timeout crashes. Some had reported that disabling Freesync fixed this driver crash issue fully.

But I have the same issue, I run a BenQ monitor (imo a fantastic monitor) but it has automatic Freesync detection and thus it has not OSD option to disable it.
Disabling Freesync in the RadeonSettings  and or in Windows settings did not disable Freesync as the monitor OSD still detected that Freesync was in use. Short tests did not show expected tearing on a disabled Freesync.

This leads me to believe that Freesync is bugged in the AMD drivers or in Windows, perhaps for quite some time.

A quick test on a Linux Manjaro live environment showed the monitor does automatically detect if Freesync is not used OSD showed it was disabled, as the live environment does have it disabled.
Returning to Windows where it should have been disabled as well, OSD showed it was enabled again.

ShomiRAC
Adept I

I even called AMD support, not being able to get anything out of it. I'm really struggling not to type many, MANY bad things I'd like to type. This is going on for years now, I can't believe that I need to do forum posts to fix a simple issue. 

0 Likes

Yeah I feel the same.

Thus I have decided to dump, after 20 years, Windows on my main box due to the the bad driver experience, for Linux. After getting my second nvme later this week.

Feedback on this such switches are very much positive, the MESA driver stack is much more stable to drive AMD gpu's then AMD's Windows proprietary drivers are for users that keep being burdened by issues.

I'll update the thread I created with my experience, hoping it does not conclude to be hardware related.

0 Likes
ShomiRAC
Adept I

So it seems like there is no solution to this problem until they patch the drivers to be able to completely disable freesync, since EDID editors like CRU aren't working. 

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

something i don't understand in you post is "low input lag" and '"overdrive" , these is monitor functionnality ? isn't it ?

and btw i just got a real freesync monitor (freesync premium pro certified) with "adaptive sync" that can be disabled in monitor OSD , i will check if it change anything to deactivate it in monitor option AND / OR adrenalin ... and try to get those tearing back ..(!)

EDIT : so i tested in DEUX EX Mankind Divided  in 1080p to get high refresh rate, AND while having FREESYNC allways enabled in monitor options,  i'm confirming that disabling adrenalin Freesync option is effective because i get those tearing in the game after doing it .. and to get freesync on again i got to restart the game ... so adrenalin switch seem to work in my case

that said , if you are speaking about monitor overdrive for example i know it's not depending on freesync option being enabled or not , this has no link (at least not on my monitor), and about input lag , i don't think it's make any noticeable difference even in competition (if that is the question at the end .. regarding some tests checked on the web .. in competition i think it would be more problematic to have tearing i think )

the thing that makes me wondering if that these options where depending on adrenalin software than you should be able to enabling it just by unplugin your monitor from computer .. this wouldn't be logical

0 Likes

edit2 : something you can check too is if your monitor has firmware update

0 Likes
ShomiRAC
Adept I

I have a very good knowledge about this stuff, I wouldn't post something if I wasn't 100% sure it is that way. Of course I disabled it on the driver and everything else. This issue is around for a few years now, it's not a new one. It's just that on the previous GPU I could disable it through CRU (EDID editor). The monitor reports "V.Frequency" as FreeSync, even though it is set to disabled both on the driver, and on the CRU which now on the new GPUs doesn't work as I've said. So the only way for me to disable it is through registry or a patch on the AMD driver. The drivers for AMD are as usual, garbage.

0 Likes

i quote you "The reason I need to disable FreeSync is that it's the only option to enable Low Input Lag mode and overdrive."

that's why i gave you my last answer ... freesync and overdrive are not related ..etc

0 Likes

But they are on this monitor.

0 Likes