cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lilo33
Adept II

19.12.2 to 20.1.1 black screen issue when starting game ( turning off enhanced sync did not help)

Jump to solution

Most of the origin games show black screen including :

1.battlefield 2,3,4,5,1

2.Alice madness

3.Need for Speed 2015, speed, heat, payback

3. Dragon Age 1,2,3

Other games include:

4. Forza Horizon

5. Doom 2016

Also, many more steam games do not work at all. I start the game and then its black screen...in some cases, you can hear a sound and in some cases, it's stuck completely.

Both 5700xt and r9-290x showing these problems in 19.12.2 and also in 19.12.3 (which did not fix anything.SOmethings to mention :

1. I installed all of this drivers fresh using DDU in safe mode ..etc

2. Windows 10 updated.

3. I tried the "turning off enhanced sync trick" which did not work in both drivers.

4. reverting back to 19.12.1 solves everything.

#Black Screen 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vigor021
Adept I

Re: 19.12.2 to 20.1.1 black screen issue when starting game ( turning off enhanced sync did not help)

Jump to solution

Hi again!

So i tried again to update on 20.1.3 and this time i can play games without having black screen and any other mayor issues.

What i did differently this time is uninstall drivers with DDU software. I haven't tried that before. I did all what software recommends(going in safe mod and such) and the problem is gone. At least the mayor issues are gone.

A few games i tested after i did the update:

Grim Dawn, GTA V, Temtem, KingdomCome, LoL.

I hope i can help someone.

lilo33legio113

View solution in original post

57 Replies
lilo33
Adept II

Re: 19.12.2 and 19.12.3 black screen issue when starting game ( turning off enhanced sync did not help)

Jump to solution

anyone?

0 Likes
legio113
Journeyman III

Re: 19.12.2 and 19.12.3 black screen issue when starting game ( turning off enhanced sync did not help)

Jump to solution

hi I have the same problem this new update has not helped me. The only solution has been to return to version 19.12..1

0 Likes
lilo33
Adept II

Jump to solution

I also reverted back to 19.12..1. Fixed everything

0 Likes
squuiid
Adept I

Jump to solution

DO AMD DO ANY QA TESTING AT ALL?!

Even the most basic of QA test routines would find this sort of thing. It is pervasive in this release and totally unacceptable.

Questions need to be asked as to why this was thought to be worthy of a release. Both 19.12.2 and .3 exhbit this problem. Does AMD even have a driver QA team these days? My guess would be no.

edmondvonersung
Adept III

Jump to solution

I have this too on my Vega 64.

0 Likes
lilo33
Adept II

Jump to solution

I have 5700xt and a r9 290x both showing samw problem.. what is thw point of buying amd gpu if we can't play any game...most of the game showing black screen problem whether enhanced sync turned on or off..and enhanced synced used to work fine in previous drivers..they don't want us to tag system engineer..then how can they know about the problem?

Jump to solution

Of course, after they released the drivers you can go complain  Free workers are the cutomers.

0 Likes
metallicastr2k
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Have the same issue with both 19.12.2 and 19.12.3, I reverted back to 19.12.1 and it works again.

I thought at first it was because I'm running an RX 5700 XT with an old i5-3570k but when I reverted back to .1 the issues went away (they released .2 the same day I got the new card). Also with .2 and .3 doing any tasks in windows or chrome will freeze my computer. My wife has the rx 580 with an FX-6350 and .2 and .3 do the same to her PC so we reverted hers back to .1 and all is well. We plan on upgrading our CPUs and boards to Ryzen 5 and 7 soon so hopefully they can fix this issue in time. Otherwise as it stands right now pretty much sticking with 19.12.1 tfu.

lilo33
Adept II

Jump to solution

I don't understand what amd is doing...i really wanted to know what's the valuable opinion of the system engineer ray_m regarding this. ray_m

0 Likes