cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Resources

moeefe
Adept I

I need help with making my apu switch to gpu when i launch games.

Hello,

Recently I bought a gaming laptop and its my first time using AMD. When I launch games sometimes my laptop recognizes them and swap from apu to gpu but recently it has not been doing it. I need someone to lead me in the right direction where I can always have my gpu running or disable apu. please help!

Thank you

1 Solution

Open an Asus support ticket. There may have been a Windows Update that is causing this behavior. Asus Support will know more about how your laptop works than an AMD user forum.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
FunkZ
Grandmaster

For mobile switchable graphics functionality ensure you are using the manufacturer provided drivers and setup.

What is your laptop make and model?

I have the newest drivers updated to make sure its working properly. This all randomly happened yesterday for some reason, was working fine before. Here is the laptop I have.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tuf-gaming-a16-16-165hz-gaming-laptop-fhd-amd-ryzen-7-7735hs-with-...

Open an Asus support ticket. There may have been a Windows Update that is causing this behavior. Asus Support will know more about how your laptop works than an AMD user forum.

0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

There should be an option in the bios to turn off or prioritize your GPU at start-up.

Ryzen 7800X3D - Radeon 7900XT - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

I posted what kind of laptop in this thread, I went into my BIOS and could not see that option. Could you lead me on how to make it so my gpu just always takes priority.

reutech
Adept III

Apologies in advance, I'm sure you've tried some of this.  I don't want to assume anything in the interest of being detailed.

1. Adjust Graphics Settings in Windows:

• Right-click on your desktop and select Display settings.
  • Scroll down and click Graphics settings.
  • Here, you can manually choose which apps should run on the dedicated GPU.
  • Under "Choose an app to set preference", select either Desktop app or Microsoft Store app, then find your game’s executable file.
  • After selecting the game, click Options, and set it to High performance (this forces the use of the dedicated GPU).

2. Force GPU Usage via AMD Adrenalin Software:

• Open the AMD Adrenalin software, which is usually installed on AMD-based laptops.
  • Go to the Gaming tab.
  • You should see a list of detected games. Select the game and ensure "Graphics Settings" are set to use the dedicated GPU.
  • In the Global Graphics Settings, you can also set a default mode for performance to prioritize the use of the dedicated GPU.

3. Disable the APU (Integrated Graphics) in Device Manager:

• Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.
  • Expand the Display adapters section.
  • Right-click on the integrated GPU (likely labeled as AMD Radeon Graphics) and select Disable device.
  • This will force your laptop to use the dedicated GPU (likely an AMD Radeon RX card) for all tasks. Note that this can cause higher power consumption, so it’s best suited when plugged in.

4. Ensure the Laptop is Set to Performance Mode:

• If you use ASUS Armoury Crate, switch the system to Turbo or Performance Mode to make sure the laptop is prioritizing gaming performance and using the dedicated GPU.
  • You can find these settings in the System or Power Profile sections within the Armoury Crate.

5. Update GPU Drivers:

• Make sure both the APU and GPU drivers are fully up to date. You can update them via the AMD Adrenalin software or by visiting the ASUS support page for your laptop.

I'm very excited.