Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Resources

Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Are you a gamer, crypto miner, or both - Poll

Hey, Red Team!

We want to know more about your interests. Specifically, we're trying to better understand crypto mining and see if there are any miners in the Red Team Community.

You can vote by visiting the Off Topic Discussions category, which you will find on the right side of the page.

Let us know your thoughts!

CryptoPollScreenshot.JPG

6 Replies
Volkdude85
Challenger

former network admin/ gamer/ I fix/build stuff

cypto eww 

jamesc359
Forerunner

I'm a gamer, but I do a lot of other things as well. Video, 3D modeling/rendering and etc.

I don't have warm fuzzy feelings for those crypto mining, especially on GPUs. . .

Edit: Voted

Key-J
Paragon

Gamer here

KeyJ_0-1668531485986.gif

I've never mined Crypto, and no intention to start anytime soon.

I have owned some magical internet virtual coins though.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
0 Likes
Weber462
Challenger

Both! Before any judgment, Please check out Gridcoin and/or BOINC. Gridcoin is a "crypto" that incentivizes Distributive computing research (via BOINC and Folding@home). Use your computer to map asteroids (Astroids@home), fold proteins (Rosetta@home or Folding@home) or research/cure Childhood cancers (World community grid). There are over 30 projects available on BOINC. Researchers need heavy hardware, and the best hardware is Gaming PC's.

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/

I guess I should clarify because you are right. There are amp sucking GPU stealing crypto's that I am less fond of and there are Raspberry pi/sbc/run on a toaster crypto's that look fun. If I am honest I have dabbled in those,,,But honestly never did anything with it and whatever I have made goes to charity mostly cause I never capitalized, and I didn't do alot. Brave browser has crypto plugins like that. Also a fan of any Opensource NASA stuff and cancer curing..

My buddy used to render raw data from the mars rover.

It's a specific eww reserved for huge racks and 10+Flagship gpu's plugged into the grid illegally.

0 Likes

Agreed, To me I depends on what they are crunching. If you have 10 6800xt's working on a pointless algorithm "mining" a crypto, i think that is a complete waste of power, time, and resources. If 10 6800xt's are Searching for asteroids, cancer cell mapping, or curing diseases, then I am completely on board. Right now, there are so many computers sitting idle, think about the problems that could be solved if everyone dedicated just one core (while you weren't even using your computer) to a project. You wouldn't even notice a change in electric bill. The potential processing power currently available is staggering and mostly wasted.