cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seagate Optimizes Storage Scalability with AMD EPYC™ Embedded Performance and Power Advantages

Surya_Hotha
Staff
Staff
1 0 10.1K

In enterprise storage environments, IT teams face the seemingly impossible task of cost-effectively scaling their storage infrastructure to keep pace with skyrocketing storage capacity needs. Storage industry titan Seagate understands these challenges better than most, and commissioned a study with analyst firm IDC in 2020 to help quantify the surging data growth that enterprises are experiencing today.

The findings of this Rethink Data report were eye-opening. The study found that enterprise data is expected to grow at an average rate of 42.2% from 2020 through 2022. The survey portion, conducted by IDC, also found that only 32% of data available to enterprises is put to work. The remaining 68% is unleveraged and is often discarded as enterprises try to contain costs. The future value of this discarded data – and the business insight contained within it – is subsequently lost.

Seagate is committed to helping its customers overcome these pressing storage scalability and capacity challenges, as exemplified with the company’s recently introduced Exos® Application Platform (AP) with a new controller featuring 2nd Generation AMD EPYC™ Embedded  processors.

Leveraging a common AMD EPYC™ based controller design (AP-BV-1 controller), Seagate’s Exos® AP converged systems are available in a wide range of configurations, spanning from 2U systems with 12 or 24 drives up to 5U systems equipped with 84 drives for a whopping 1.68  PB of capacity per chassis using 20 TB 3.5" SAS HDD drives expandable to 336 drives across  4 5U enclosures for superior data storage space utilization. 

Seagate 3.png

AMD EPYC™ Embedded processors were integral to enabling Seagate’s seamlessly scalable Exos® AP storage portfolio in several important ways. By supporting 8, 12, and 16 core configurations, AMD EPYC™ Embedded CPUs enabled a single board design that could be leveraged to satisfy a wide range of performance requirements from the entry-level to the high-end of Seagate’s Exos® AP family. This flexibility was further enhanced by the 2nd Gen AMD EPYC™ Embedded CPUs’ formidable I/O connectivity, supporting up to 96 PCIe® Gen-4 lanes enabling incredible storage capacities with high availability and dual-port 10/25GbE I/O, and dual-port 1GbE onboard connections.

Perhaps most importantly, AMD EPYC™ Embedded processors equipped Seagate to satisfy multiple performance profiles across its Exos® AP storage solution portfolio – while maintaining an average TDP of only 85W at the processor level.  Oftentimes customers are forced to choose between performance benefits and power/cost benefits when assessing their enterprise storage options, but Seagate’s Exos® AP customers don’t have to make this compromise. The low 85W TDP power profile enabled by AMD EPYC™ Embedded processors extends across the Exos® AP product family.

With Seagate’s Exos® AP family, customers benefit from a scalable, cost effective storage platform with the capacity they need to keep pace with soaring storage demands. From the entry-level to the high-end, these systems are optimized for rack space utilization, power efficiency, low heat dissipation, and storage density – with a uniform controller design made possible with performance- and power-versatile AMD EPYC™ Embedded processors.

To learn more about the AMD Embedded processing solutions enabling storage leaders like Seagate to innovate highly flexible, scalable storage platforms, click here for more details.

#EPYC #Seagate Exos #Storage