Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

myreauks
Journeyman III

Blender ProRender Mac pixellated displacement

Hi!

I have a simple surface that has been displaced with a .png image with resolution of 4096 x 2160px. The displacement is done with the blender Cycles displacement node as suggested by the ProRender documentation. I have enabled adaptive level subdivision with a level of 0.50 for the surface and yet I am still getting these pixellated edges on the surface (image attached). Render resolution is 1920 x 1080px and I have tried increasing it with no luck.

Do you have any idea what could fix this, or is it possible to fix it with the ProRender engine?

With Blender Cycles engine, adaptive subdivision works just fine with my image texture so that must not be it?

My specs are:

Blender 2.82a

ProRender 2.4.11

MacBook Pro 15-inch 2017 with Radeon Pro 560 4GB GPU

Best,

Miro

0 Likes
5 Replies

did you set up HDR? also did you try increase samples? also did you use de-noising? 

Denoiser — AMD Radeon ProRender 

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.35.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.33.59 PM.png

0 Likes
myreauks
Journeyman III

Hi robertharveyhk!

Thanks for the reply!

However, I would like to point out that I am not talking about the noise in the rendering or the quality of the light path calculations here, I know those can be fixed with denoising or adding more samples. Rather, I am discussing the adaptive subdivision done to the geometry to create the displacement. There is a clear voxelisation visible that is not there with the exact same textures when rendering with Cycles.

I have attached some further images to explain what I am talking about.

To further confuse me, changing the level of adaptive subdivision on the object doesn't actually seem to make much of a difference to the end result. Whether it is 1.00 or 4.00, the geometry looks pretty much the same in the render. It is marginally better at level 1.00. If I understand correctly, the adaptive subdivision level 1.00 should mean that the object is divided by as many times as it has pixels in the final render image? However, as can be seen in my images, the final render obviously doesn't have that fine subdivision. If i try to set the object subdivision level to under 1.00, for example 0.1, the end result is just a black image. I have also tried to increase the render resolution to 3840 x 2160px from HD, but that results to a totally black image every single time.

As a comparison, I added an image rendered with Cycles with adaptive subdivision set to 1px. Here you can see a much finer subdivision, the letters are clearly readable and the resolution is the same as in the original displacement texture.

It is a shame if I can't get this working with ProRender as I prefer the subsurface-scattering in ProRender to Cycles. It is also much faster than Cycles.

Best,

Miro

ProRender: Adaptive subdivision level 4.00

Lvl-4.00.png

ProRender: Adaptive subdivision level 1.00

Lvl-1.00.png

Cycles: Adaptive Subdivision 1px

Cycles.png

0 Likes

One option might be to bake in the displacement of the object in blender itself to the geometry

0 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion bsavery!

Unfortunately that is not an option as I have quite a complicated animation going on with the displacement.

Anyhow, the point of my post was not to find a workaround, but rather find out if the displacement is fixable in Prorender by changing some settings, but it seems that a solution has not come out yet so I have to abandon my hopes of using Prorender for this project as of now. 

Is there a better way to file a bug report besides this forum?

Best,

Miro

0 Likes
fxgogo
Journeyman III

Hi, I have been battling with this over the last few days. I found a solution, not ideal, but it works. I set the two setting for subdividing to 0.05. This ramps up the subdivisions to such a massive level, I can’t render on my laptop any more and have to use a workstation at work. Clearly this not ideal, but I have a deadline to meet. I have a feeling this has something to do with how the mesh is been seen by rpr. Gonna investigate some more.

0 Likes