cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

Blender 3.x support

Anyone know if Blender 3.x on Ubuntu 22.x is supported?  I haven't upgraded yet and I'm afraid my ProRender scenes won't work anymore.

1 Solution
Sam_CO
Adept II

It appears AMD has abandoned ProRender because it uses Open CL and is working with the Blender Devs on HIP support in Cycles, which IS already in 3.2 for the 6000 series cards

The 6000 series GPUs from the 6600 up were initially supported.  Not sure if they've added the 6500. Some of the 5000 series have either been added in 3.2.2 or are slated for 3.3. Not sure which.

Right now HIP doesn't use the AMD hardware ray tracing. That's because AMD is still working on HIP-RT (I'm guessing that's similar to the Optix option for Nvidia cards).

I heard that HIP support for Vega cards is being tested, but for Windows first, then Linux.

Could always see if there's a daily release that would support HIP rendering with your card, and if so, give it a try.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Sam_CO
Adept II

It appears AMD has abandoned ProRender because it uses Open CL and is working with the Blender Devs on HIP support in Cycles, which IS already in 3.2 for the 6000 series cards

The 6000 series GPUs from the 6600 up were initially supported.  Not sure if they've added the 6500. Some of the 5000 series have either been added in 3.2.2 or are slated for 3.3. Not sure which.

Right now HIP doesn't use the AMD hardware ray tracing. That's because AMD is still working on HIP-RT (I'm guessing that's similar to the Optix option for Nvidia cards).

I heard that HIP support for Vega cards is being tested, but for Windows first, then Linux.

Could always see if there's a daily release that would support HIP rendering with your card, and if so, give it a try.