GLKKeith
Adept II

Old Dusty - February Submission

Old Dusty

GPU: Sapphire RX590

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X

Mobo: MSI X570 Gaming Plus

RAM: Crucial 32GB DDR4

Decorative shortboard that I made on the wall next to a photo of my recently passed friend. Of course the Finn and Jake on the wall for good vibes, and the sugar skull on the desk next to a bunch of dead batteries. Thought of naming the rig something like Shy Guy because my GPU fails to power on sometimes on startup, I should really look into it more...but it usually works after a few tries so I deal with it.

Nothing has really changed in the last month except maybe I have some sweet snacks in front of my monitor this time.

GLKKeith_0-1706997588198.jpeg

Had to remove a bunch of the stuff in the photo so that it would be under 3MB. (Probably should have just taken another photo with a smaller resolution I know.)

5 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I like a sense of humor.  I wish more people would appreciate mine.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Thanks Big Al! Humor is one of those things that can go such a long way for someone having a tough time. My buddy in the picture on the wall was always great at it, and he's influenced my sense of humor ever since we became friends.

Guess what I'm saying is, even if it seems like your humor isn't appreciated - keeping things light hearted (even if someone doesn't laugh) might just be the thing that keeps someone from teetering over the edge. So again, thanks for spreading the good vibes! 😀

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

The sad truth is that my wife married me for my sense of humor - not my good looks after all.  I actually proposed to her from a hospital bed in intensive care.  Not once, not twice, not three times.  I proposed four times.  She told me that she said yes each time, but I don't remember this.  I had a major concussion at the time from a motorcycle accident.  My right wrist was in traction.  My gaming career was over before it even began.  But enough about me.  

Why don't you consider a decent video card upgrade?  I just went from an RX 580 to an RX 7800 XT ($500) and it did wonders for my frame rates.  On top of that, it powers on each time successfully.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

At the least you have a beautiful story to tell - I ride a Honda Shadow, sorry to hear about the bad crash. Do you still ride or did that end it for ya?

I've been keeping an eye on them for sure - I think a CPU/GPU at upgrade at once would be ideal because my CPU is limiting my RAM to lower than the 3200 it can operate at. But I'm not playing or doing anything too intensive on it, so I'm trying to be patient.

How do you feel your wrist is with gaming now? Or have you looked into some gaming accessories to help with it?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I bought a 1984 Honda Nighthawk S soon after getting out of the hospital, once my wrist had healed.  I sold it in 1991 prior to our move from California to Virginia.  Then I went 15 years without riding until a friend convinced me to ride again and I bought a Harley Fatboy.  I sold my last bike in 2020 and that's been it for me.  We had formed the WORMS riding club and both my wife and I enjoyed those rides with friends.  As for computer accessories, I mostly use a Kensington trackball mouse (Slim Blade).  

2008 was a good year for my chopper wining first place!2008 was a good year for my chopper wining first place!