Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

cyseal
Elite

Blender cycles 2.77 OpenCL issue

Cycles does not render properly with driver 16.5.2.1

I have MSI 7870 2GB (Pitcairn)

Reproducing steps:

1.download  64 bit Blender https://www.blender.org/download/  ​ and open attached test_file.blend

2. go to File - User preferences - click System and check OpenCl (mine is Pitcairn)

setings1.PNG

3.set device to GPU compute and click render (mine does not render properly)

screen2_GPU.png

4.set device to CPU and click render (how it should render)

screen3_CPU.png

26 Replies
boxerab
Challenger

Please provide more details about the issue - simply stating that there is a bug does not help anyone track it down.

I've updated the post and conntacted Blender devs and they've said I should reach to AMD team also.

0 Likes

Hi Sam,

As checked, the above link says "File not found". Please check once.

BTW, it would be helpful if you suggest me how to reproduce the issue. Sharing snapshots or something similar that manifest the issue would be great.

Regards,

0 Likes

Thank you for reaching out.

I've written reproducing steps with test_file.blend in first post.

Could you improve driver so that loads render kernels faster on GPU compute ?

Could you also improve overall OpenCL support for Blender cycles?

Request: is it possible to add native .HDRI and .EXR support through the driver ? Cycles does not render properly .HDRI images with GPU compute.

Thanks

EDIT: I should have mentioned that every day Blender devs are upgrading OpenCl in Bl. In this releases you can see how is OpenCl in Blender evolving.

Blender

0 Likes

Hi Sam,

Thanks for sharing all the details. We'll check and get back to you. BTW, hope that you've checked the same with the latest driver 16.5.3 released recently.

Now, regarding your other queries and requests, I'm not the right person to comment as I'm hardly familiar with Blender cycles. However, I'll try my best to forward those queries and requests to the concerned team handling Blender cycles.

Regards,

0 Likes

Thank you. For .hdri request, I've presented it here with test file: .HDRI and .EXR with OpenCl request

I've tested with 16.5.3 and it still does not render the right way but there is some difference than in previous 16.5.2.1. Now you can see it just barely:

Tested with Blender build 24.5.2016.

test_file3.png

In first post is shown how it should render it.

0 Likes

Hi Sam,

Here is an update. As I've come to know, the concerned team has reproduced the issue with the attached files and raised a bug ticket accordingly. Once I get any further update, I'll share with you.

Regarding the other queries and requests, I've shared both of your threads (i.e. this one and .HDRI and .EXR with OpenCl request ) to the team. As soon as I get any reply from them, I'll post.

Regards,

cyseal
Elite

acron​ sent me a message:

Seems like I can't post an answer yet as I just registered (to help you).

I had the same problem. The problem was that it just rendered the first layer (sample), but Cycles worked in viewport. The rest of the layers when rendering are just transparent grey, and a high count of render samples gives just a grey image.

My solution was as simple as to check the progressive refine under performance.

Please give an update on the ticket to Blender and post the reply, as others may have the same problem.

Regards

It does seem that GPUcompute render when checked progressive refine but at much slower speed as stated.

@acron ,please confirm in this thread when you can.

test_file5.png

0 Likes

Hi Sam,

The team is working on the issue and they need some more information (see below) regarding the issue.

1. Is the issue working with older Blender version or AMD drivers?

2. What are the comments from Blender Team about the issue? Their inputs may be helpful to us for quickly debugging the issue. Could you please share their comments or try to get some inputs from their side?

3. Is the scene rendering properly on non-AMD GPUs (say, NVIDIA cards)? Please check once and share your observations.

Regards,

0 Likes

There is the same issue when rendering with previous Blender versions and with Crimson 16.5.3.

Crimson drivers before 16.5 didn't have problems with Cycles. Loading render kernels took some time but it rendered well.

On CUDA device the scene is rendered properly.

I see that the bug ticket was already posted :anchor: T48528 [Information] OpenCL issue continued  .

Some Cycles developer will be assigned to it.

0 Likes

Thanks for your quick reply.

Actually we tried some of our other internal drivers but we observed similar problem. So, just want to confirm the older driver version(s) which worked fine, as you mentioned. Did Crimson 16.4.1?

Regards,

Dipak

0 Likes

For me Crimson 16.4.x  builds didn't have issues but it did take long to load render kernels.

.hdri doesn't render as it should have with any driver.

0 Likes

Thanks. I'll pass this information to the team.

0 Likes

Hi Sam,

Using the latest Blender cycle build (30th May) from here Blender, we've also observed that the rendering issue is reproducible with 16.5.3 but not with 16.4.1. However, the good news is that the rendering seems working fine with the latest internal driver. At this moment, it's difficult to say whether the issue is due to any temporary changes which might have been introduced to that particular driver version (and not present in later drivers) or something else. The team is investigating the regression point and the possible reasons. Will keep you updated as I get more information regarding this.

Another point is, did you try the Blender version available here https://www.blender.org/download/  with Crimson 16.4.1 and 16.5.3? Because, as we've observed, it seems that there are some issues on this version itself. This Blender version fails to render even though 30th may Blender build is passing. Could you please check and share your observations?

Regards,

0 Likes

With Crimson 16.4.1 I've only tested latest build and it rendered fine.

Blender 2.77a (official) fails to render on 16.5.3 (grey or black image is rendered),

while latest build on Blender  with 16.5.3 is passing but is still barely greyed/blacked out as I said in one of previous posts.

Grey or black depends on world background color.

test_file3.png

0 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation. We've also observed the differences between the two blender versions.

Regards,

0 Likes

Still have the following issues with newest Crimson package 16.6.1

• Blender doesn't render correctly
  • Monitor (connected w/ DP cable) goes black on reboot of Win 10. Need to cycle power on/off or toggle off and back to DP input to get video back

The most recent driver that works for me using an HD7850 is Crimson 16.5.1

0 Likes

The problem has not been fixed yet. The engg. team is still working on it. Please keep patience.

Regards,

0 Likes

Also, is it possible to add support for volumetrics rendering with OpenCl, such as:

1. volume absorption and scatter shader,
  2. hair shader and hair particle system on GPU (Blender · rB )
  3. smoke rendering in cycles?
cyseal
Elite

Render passes with drivers 16.7.3 on 7870 but there are weird stripes and triangles in shadows (below text) as you can see. I've included test .blend.

dipak​ ,please report to the team as soon you see the post.

Blender build 29.7.2016.

REN2.jpg

0 Likes

Hi,

I've already reported the same to the concerned team. Once I get any reply, I'll get back to you.

Regards,

Update:

The team was able to reproduce the problem with the last blend file (test_cat_1673.blend.zip) and they are investigating it now.

Hair particle system and OpenCL issue on AMD 7870:

https://developer.blender.org/T49019

0 Likes
cyseal
Elite

Could you tell me what does this mean?

OpenCL error (-61): CL_INVALID_BUFFER_SIZE in clCreateBuffer

OpenCL error: CL_INVALID_MEM_OBJECT in clEnqueueWriteBuffer(cqCommandQueue, CL_MEM_PTR(mem.device_pointer), CL_TRUE, 0, size, (void*)mem.data_pointer, 0, NULL, NULL)

0 Likes

CL_INVALID_BUFFER_SIZE in clCreateBuffer: Size of the buffer to be created is either zero or greater than the max. size of memory object that can be allocated (i.e. CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE)

CL_INVALID_MEM_OBJECT in clEnqueueWriteBuffer: buffer to be written (i.e. here CL_MEM_PTR(mem.device_pointer)) is not a valid buffer object

cyseal
Elite

From this discussion https://developer.blender.org/T49046 were made these changes https://developer.blender.org/rB76b6c77f2cba22a6760f0ff4e446b6ee4a7ad718

AMD 7870 with 16.8.2 hotfix.

It has been reported that Fiji and Polaris cards render normally.

Blender uses OpenCl 1.2 .

There has to be an issue how driver for 7xxx cards operates GPU memory and kernel. This is the idea.

test_1682.png

hair1.JPG

hair2.JPG

Test file>

0 Likes