AMD Audio Configuration and Setup FAQ

Version 1

This document provides the answers to frequently asked questions about AMD audio configuration and setup. Examples include; where to get the AMD High Definition Audio Device driver, and how to enable and configure the AMD High Definition Audio Device.

Q. Which AMD graphic cards support AMD High Definition Audio?

A. Graphics cards that are in the AMD Radeon™ HD, Radeon™ R9, Radeon™ R7, Radeon™ R5 family have built in support for AMD High Definition Audio.

Q. Where do I get the AMD High Definition Audio Device driver?

A. The AMD Catalyst™ software suite is packaged with the driver for the AMD High Definition Audio Device. To download the latest AMD Catalyst software please visit: www.amd.com/drivers.

Q. How do I install the AMD High Definition Audio Device driver?

A. Once you have downloaded the compatible software suite from the AMD driver download page, simply double click on the executable file to begin installation. For information on how to install AMD Catalyst™ drivers on a Windows® based system, please refer to knowledgebase article: GPU-507

Q. How many audio streams are supported by the AMD High Definition Audio Device?

A. The AMD Radeon™ HD 2000 – HD 7800 series graphics card can output one audio stream at a time. The AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 and newer supports Discrete Digital Multi-Point Audio (DDMA) technology which can simultaneously output up to three independent audio streams at a time. More information about DDMA can be found here.

Q. How do I enable and configure the AMD High Definition Audio Device?

A. Please refer to knowledgebase article GPU-70 for step by step instruction on how to enable and configure the AMD High Definition Audio device.

Q. What output is the AMD High Definition Audio Device signal on?

A. The AMD High Definition Audio Device signal is passed through the HDMI and DisplayPort (including mini DisplayPort) connections on the graphics card.
    Some graphics card can support HD audio via the DVI port by using a DVI-HDMI adapter. This adapter may be included with the graphics card if it supports this option. Please refer to the graphics card user manual for more information.
    If an AMD APU product is being used, the audio output connections available are based on the motherboard design.

Q. Do I need any specific audio cables for the AMD High Definition audio setup?

A.  It is recommended to use HDMI 1.4 or DisplayPort 1.2 cables for direct connection to the HDTV, monitor (with speakers), or audio receiver. If using an audio receiver, it is recommended to use the cables supplied by the audio receiver manufacturer.