This document provides answers to frequently asked questions about Windows® 10 drivers and AMD graphics product compatibility.
Will my graphics adapter work in Windows® 10 if it does not support DirectX® 12?
The following products should work fully in Windows® 10 but will not support DirectX® 12 specific features.
The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 1.3 and DirectX® 11 on Windows® 10:
- AMD Radeon™ HD 8470 and HD 8350 for OEM systems
- AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series Graphics for OEM systems (HD 7670 and below)
- AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M Series Graphics for notebooks (HD 7600M and below)
- AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 Series/AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD 6000 Series Graphics
- AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series/AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD 5000 Series Graphics
The following AMD APU products with AMD Radeon™ Graphics support up to WDDM 1.3 and DirectX® 11 on Windows® 10
- AMD A4-7300 APUs
- AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-6000 Series APUs
- AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-5000 Series APUs (except A4-5000, A4-5100, and A6-5200)
- AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-4000 Series APUs
NOTE: If your graphics adapter is included on the list of supported products above, please install the latest AMD Catalyst™ Driver for Windows® 10 to fully enable its feature set. AMD Catalyst™ Driver can be downloaded from: http://www.amd.com/drivers/external-link.jspa?url=http://www.amd.com/drivers
The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 1.1 and DirectX® 10.1:
- ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000 Series Graphics
- ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000 Series Graphics
- ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics
These graphics products must be installed using display driver version: 8.970.100.9001. This driver is provided as a courtesy and only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver.
NOTE: ATI Radeon™ HD 4000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics reached peak performance optimization on October, 2013. No additional driver releases are planned for these products.
The following AMD APU products with AMD Radeon™ Graphics support up to WDDM 1.2 and DirectX® 11 on Windows 10:
- AMD A4/A6/A8-3000 Series APUs
- AMD E2-2000 APU
- AMD E1/E2-1000 Series APUs
- AMD E-200/300/400 Series APUs
- AMD C-Series APUs
- AMD Z-Series APUs
NOTE: These APU products must be installed only using the display driver version available via Windows Update. If you have upgraded to Windows® 10, please DO NOT install the AMD Catalyst™ Driver. Instead, enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver.
Can I use Windows® 7 or Windows® 8.1 graphics driver for Windows® 10?
No. You should only use the official AMD Catalyst™ Driver for Windows 10 or use Windows Update to install a suitable driver for your product.
Should I upgrade my graphics drivers before updating my existing OS to Windows® 10?
When installing Windows® 10, the OS will install standard drivers for the graphics adapter. Once the OS installation is complete, you can then download and install the latest AMD Catalyst™ drivers from the AMD website.
Which AMD graphics products can fully support Windows® 10?
The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 2.0, DirectX® 12 and will provide the complete Windows® 10 experience:
- AMD Radeon™ R9 Series Graphics
- AMD Radeon™ R7 Series Graphics
- AMD Radeon™ R5 Series Graphics (R5 240 and up)
- AMD Radeon™ R5 M200 Series and Radeon™ R5 M300 Series Graphics
- AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series Graphics for OEM systems (HD 8570 and up)
- AMD Radeon™ HD 8000M Series Graphics for notebooks
- AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series Graphics (HD 7730 and up)
- AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M Series Graphics for notebooks (HD 7730M and up)
The following AMD APU products support up to WDDM 2.0, DirectX® and will provide the complete Windows® 10 experience:
- AMD A6/A8/A10/FX-8000 Series APUs
- AMD A4 Pro/A6 Pro/A8 Pro/A10 Pro/A12 Pro-8000 Series APUs
- AMD E1/E2/A4/A6/A8/A10/FX-7000 Series APUs (except A4-7300 APUs)
- AMD A4 Pro/A6 Pro/A8 Pro/A10 Pro-7000 Series APUs
- AMD E1/E2/A4/A6-6#10 Series APUs
- AMD E1/A4/A10 Micro-6000 Series APUs
- AMD A4-5000, A4-5100 and A6-5200 APUs
- AMD Athlon 5000 series APUs
- AMD Sempron 2650 and 3850 APUs
- AMD E1-2000 Series and E2-3000 Series APUs
- AMD A4/A6-1000 Series APUs
Windows® 10 compatibility checker indicates that my graphics adapter isn't supported, but according to AMD, it is.
If your graphics adapter is on the AMD supported products list, please ignore the error message. We are working with Microsoft® to correct the issue.
How do I know if my current system hardware is compatible with Windows® 10?
The Windows® 10 Compatibility Checker should be used to verify hardware compatibility. The Checker is part of “The Get Windows 10” app, which is being delivered via Windows Update. In order to obtain The Get Windows 10 app from Windows Update, your system must have KB3035583 installed.
My current graphics adapter supports DirectX® 11; will I see performance drop if I make the switch to Windows® 10?
Performance should not be affected since DirectX® 11 is supported by Windows® 10. However, the graphics adapter will not be able to take advantage of DirectX® 12 enhancements.
Will DirectX® 9 and DirectX® 10 games be compatible with Windows® 10?
Yes. DirectX® 9 and DirectX® 10 games will continue to work in Windows® 10.