REDESIGNED. REFINED. SUPERCHARGED.
The recent formation of the Radeon Technologies Group (RTG) represents AMD’s commitment to graphics leadership. RTG’s mandate is to drive relentless innovation in pushing graphics technology to new paradigms of performance and immersive experiences. RTG is focused on harnessing our graphics talent across the company to establish initiatives for leadership in emerging immersive computing opportunities, and it all starts with software.
For more than a decade, AMD Catalyst™ graphics drivers and software have been boosting visual performance, adding new features and capabilities, and enhancing the reliability of your AMD-based PC —at no additional charge.
AMD Catalyst™ Omega, a special edition driver delivered double-digit performance increases and was packed with more than 20 new features, improvements, and fixes based on user feedback. Millions downloaded the AMD Catalyst™ Omega driver, and customer satisfaction surged by almost 20% — one of the most successful AMD Catalyst driver releases in history.
We are putting great focus on software. We have been delivering graphics drivers for the past 20+ years, and during this time the graphics driver evolved way beyond the graphics device driver. Now we have user interfaces, libraries, tools, applications, packaged as what we call drivers. These so-called drivers have evolved into a “mini graphics Operating System”. With the formation of Radeon Technologies Group, we have decided to call this mini graphics Operating System “Radeon Software”. For the last 12 months, our software engineers have been hard at work on many exciting features and innovations.
This year’s software release marks a new era for AMD. That's why we decided to give it a new name.
On November 2, we announced Radeon Software Crimson Edition to the world. Redesigned. Refined. Supercharged. We've been humbled by the end user interest and response.
Introducing Radeon Software Crimson Edition.
Radeon Software Crimson Edition is AMD’s revolutionary new graphics software that delivers redesigned functionality, supercharged graphics performance, remarkable new features, and innovation that redefines the overall user experience.
Radeon Settings. The art of simplicity. Powerful new user interface
The new streamlined user interface has been named Radeon Settings. Engineered to bring out the best of AMD graphics hardware, user-friendly and feature-rich Radeon Settings is lightning fast, looks sharp, works smoothly, and delivers intuitive functionality. Radeon Settings has been built ground up in Qt (Qt is a software development framework with modular cross-platform libraries and tools) resulting in 10x faster start up1, and 3X Faster6 initialization of the display than with the AMD Catalyst™ driver. It also has new and more intuitive navigation, a new game manager, new overdrive, and new video, display and AMD Eyefinity technology sections.
Remarkable Features. Full blown experience:
Radeon Software Crimson Edition ventures far beyond the realm of a traditional graphics driver software and showcases the latest AMD technologies and advances:
- We're entering an age of immersive computing where we'll be surrounded by billions of brilliant pixels that enhance our daily lives. AMD LiquidVR™ technology is our initiative dedicated to making VR as comfortable and realistic as possible by helping reduce the motion-to-photon latency, thereby creating and maintaining what’s known as “presence”
- Asynchronous Shaders break complex serial workloads into many parallel tasks, resulting in more parallelism, lower latency and more responsive VR. This feature is currently not available on competitive graphics products
- Shader Cache to help improve game load speed and less stutter
- AMD FreeSync™ Technology enhancements
- Support for AMD Crossfire™ in DirectX® 9 games
- Low framerate compensation
- Working with monitor vendors to enable AMD FreeSync™ technology through HDMI®
- Custom Resolution support for Displays
- Up to 56% more screen real estate with Windows® 10 through Virtual support resolution (Requires Windows® 10 with 150+ DPI capable monitor)
- Frame Pacing 3.0 for smooth game play
- Frame Rate Target Control Support for DirectX® 9
- Support for DirectX 9, DirectX® 10 and DirectX® 11
- More control over the range of frame rate target, allowing from 30 – 200 FPS
- Directional Scaling helps improve smoothness of edges when displaying 1080p video on 4k displays
- Improved Video Features for 6th generation AMD A-Series APUs
Powerful Performance. Game changing efficiency.
We know how important the software experience is to gamers, game developers, and for everyone who use our products every day. Today’s gamers are more sophisticated than ever, requiring more than just raw frames per second. They want the best of the both worlds: better performance and improved power efficiency.
Radeon Software Crimson Edition showcases the latest AMD technologies and advances:
- up to 33% faster4 game load times in Star Wars™ Battlefront
- up to 20% more gaming performance in Fable Legends 2
- improved cursor and keyboard responsiveness
- up to 1.8x GPU power5 savings with Frame Rate Target Control
- Increased power savings of up to 23%3
Seamless Stability. Effortlessly.
Technology is at its best when it’s invisible, undetectable and unnoticeable. In one word, seamless. We at AMD work very hard to constantly improve the user experience so that PC users can enjoy playing games, watching videos and being productive. Compared to AMD Catalyst Omega driver, we had
- 2x more Automated Test Cases
- 25% more Manual Test Cases
- 15% more Various System Configurations
Last year AMD asked PC communities to share their feedback on what driver fixes were important to them. This year with Radeon Software Crimson Edition, we did it again! Using this feedback we created a top-10 list of fixes for the community. We had a dedicated team working on reproducing, debugging and fixing these issues.
Enabling the incredible. Empowering the developers.
Consumers experience what developers imagine. Turning the developer’s vision into reality is one of our greatest priorities, and with the Radeon Software Crimson Edition software we are delivering a number of tools to help developers code, analyze, and debug the next great applications such as OpenCL™ 2.0 optional features and AMD CODEXL 1.9.
So that’s Radeon Software Crimson Edition in a nutshell. Our goal is to deliver amazing experiences relying on performance-driven designs and user-oriented functionality that is lightning-fast, looks sharp and works smoothly. For the last 12 months, our software engineers have been hard at work on many exciting features and innovations. We invite everyone to download the new Radeon Software Crimson Edition and experience the benefits, and see for themselves what difference a year makes.
Sasa Marinkovic is Head of Software Marketing for AMD. Links to third party sites are provided for convenience and unless explicitly stated, AMD is not responsible for the contents of such linked sites and no endorsement is implied.
OpenCL is a trademark of Apple Inc. used by permission by Khronos.
- Testing conducted by AMD Performance Labs on October 26, 2015 using a HP Pavilion DM1 with AMD E-350 with AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics, 3GB (1GB+2GB) DDR3, Windows 10 64bit. With AMD Catalyst 15.8, the system took 8 seconds on average to load the control panel (AMD Catalyst Control Center). With Radeon Software Crimson Edition, the system took 0.6 seconds on average to load the control panel (Radeon Settings). RS-1
- AMD Internal Lab testing as of Oct 22, 2015 with an Intel Core i7 5960X with 2x8GB DDR4-2666 MHz memory, Gigabyte X99-UD4PC, AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X, Windows 10 64bit. PC manufacturers may vary configurations yielding different results. Fable Legends @ 1080p scored 63.99 fps with AMD Catalyst™ 15.7.1 Driver and 76.88 fps with Radeon Software Crimson Edition. RS-2
- AMD Internal Lab testing as of Oct 23, 2015 with an Intel Core i7 5960X with 2x8GB DDR4-2666 MHz memory, Gigabyte X99-UD4PC, AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X, Windows 10 64bit. PC manufacturers may vary configurations yielding different results. Frame Rate Target Control (FRTC) enables users to set a target maximum frame rate when playing an application in full screen mode, thereby reducing GPU power consumption, heat generation and fan speeds/noise. FRTC caps performance not only in 3D rendered in-game scenes, but also in splash screens, loading screens and menus. See http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/frtc for full details on FRTC. Star Wars: The Force Awakens full screen trailer run in Windows 10 @ 1080p consumed 123W with AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 Driver and 102W with Radeon Software Crimson Edition for power savings of 21%. Bioshock Infinite benchmark at 4K Ultra consumed 262W with FRTC=60 with Radeon Software Crimson Edition and 322W with AMD Catalyst™ 15.7.1 Driver for power savings of 23%. RS-3
- AMD Internal Lab testing as of Nov 2, 2015 with an Intel Core i7 5960X with 2x8GB DDR4-2666 MHz memory, Gigabyte X99-UD4, AMD Radeon™ R9 380, Windows 10 64bit. PC manufacturers may vary configurations yielding different results. Star Wars Battlefront took an average of 16.9 seconds to load the Endor Survival level with AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 Driver and 11.2 seconds with Radeon Software Crimson Edition. RS-6
- AMD Internal Lab testing as of Nov 2, 2015 with an Intel Core i7 5960X with 2x8GB DDR4-2666 MHz memory, Gigabyte X99-UD4, AMD Radeon™ R9 380, Windows 10 64bit. PC manufacturers may vary configurations yielding different results. Frame Rate Target Control (FRTC) enables users to set a target maximum frame rate when playing an application in full screen mode, thereby reducing GPU power consumption, heat generation and fan speeds/noise. FRTC caps performance not only in 3D rendered in-game scenes, but also in splash screens, loading screens and menus. See http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/frtc for full details on FRTC. Rocket League at 1080p Max quality consumed 180W using AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 Driver, 175W with Radeon Software Crimson Edition, and 61W when using FRTC=55fps in Radeon Software Crimson Edition. RS-7
- AMD Internal Lab testing as of Nov 2, 2015 with an AMD Phenom X4 1090T with 2x4GB DDR3-1066 MHz memory, AMD Radeon™ R9 280X, Windows 8.1 64bit. PC manufacturers may vary configurations yielding different results. Display monitors took 11 seconds to initialize with AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 Driver and 3 seconds with Radeon Software Crimson Edition. RS-8