cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

set
Adept II

AMD Graphics drivers produce infinite zombie processes

The issue is present on Windows 10 and 11, from Adrenalin 23.12.1 to 24.3.1 for integrated graphics on Ryzen 9 7950X.

The issue is not present in 23.11.1 or for system with only discrete graphics like Radeon RX 6900 XT (other CPU).

Steps to reproduce:

1) Install clean Windows 11 23H2 on system with Ryzen 9 7950X and no discrete graphics, with no internet access.

2) Check that the issue is not present on clean system:

run FindZombieHandles.exe

run in cmd FOR /L %i IN (1,1,1000) DO cmd /c echo %i

run FindZombieHandles.exe again: the same amount of zombie processes.

3) Install whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-24.3.1-win10-win11-mar20-rdna.exe

4) Repeat step 2: now all 1000 spawned processes turned into zombies with no apparent owner.

The system with affected drivers becomes completely unusable for me after some time: the system consumes dozens of GB of RAM outside of any apparent process, as I need to run many short-lived processes.

I'm not sure is there any other resource leak in drivers, but the described one is apparent.

3 Replies
set
Adept II

The same issue is present in 24.4.1.

The issue persists in 24.5.1.

More than that, Windows Update now automatically pushes the buggy versions over stable 23.11.1.

evil_doer
Adept I

Thanks for doing the legwork on how to quickly and concisely show this issue. Now we just need to get AMD to pay attention. 

Ive used the issue reporting tool to point towards this thread. Others should do the same.

0 Likes