cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

February 2024 Builds Anyone?

There are so many new CPUs and GPUs out there and more coming this year.  Has anyone got a mod planned for 2024?  You know, something with a few nice pieces of hardware in them....

The brains of my next build....The brains of my next build....

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
32 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I've got an idea in mind, and some of the parts on hand....

This is the Thermaltake 'The Core' P6 TG case.  I love Thermaltake cases...This is the Thermaltake 'The Core' P6 TG case. I love Thermaltake cases...

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I noticed that those Corsair iLink fans have their logo's upside down.  I can turn them over the next time I open the case.

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Power is a necessary evil.  Overcome your demons with more power!

Be Quiet! 1200W Straight Power PSU.Be Quiet! 1200W Straight Power PSU.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

A decent GPU is necessary if you plan to game a bit.  I do plan to game a bit.  I love World of Tanks - Blitz.  This Radeon RX 7900 XT should be sufficient.

I love the packaging of this AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT GPU.I love the packaging of this AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT GPU.

Dragokar
Miniboss

Have fun with it, and please let me know if there is any noise from the PSU fan. There were some issues with it.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

A few more tasty bits arrived recently.  This is the newer AIO from Corsair and a few fans to pair with it in the case.

I used the earlier version of this AIO in my 'Wine-Time' build.I used the earlier version of this AIO in my 'Wine-Time' build.

The QX series of RGB fans to match the AIO.The QX series of RGB fans to match the AIO.

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I'm sorry, the only "build" I'll have this month is a firestick.... 

:'  -  (

The Englishman
eebiii
Forerunner

The TT Core P6 is still one of, if not my favorite cases to build in. I don't know if you remember my liquid overkill build. There is a ton of room in it and they make cool aftermarket parts for it. I had 3 pumps, 3 reservoirs, all the piping, with a little custom drilling, and all the components inside the front of that case lol. And put a custom water plate in the front. You can get very creative with the room inside that case.

IMG_1847 (2).JPGIMG_1896 (2).JPG

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I don't remember that build at all.  It is beautiful.  I hope it's still operational.

It should be. It went to a professional gamer who is on a Counter Strike team. I know he did a lot of traveling for tournaments, but that thing weighed about 70lbs with the three loops in it. So I am assuming it was just for home use.  

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Everyone needs some M.2 storage.  I can't decide if I want the 2 TB drive as my system drive, or the 1 TB drive as my system drive.  This will be a gaming machine though - most of the storage will be games from Steam.

These should be fast enough.  I'm not ready to pay for PCIe 5.0 drives yet.These should be fast enough. I'm not ready to pay for PCIe 5.0 drives yet.

1tb system drive

That's what I ended up doing.  The 2 TB M.2 drive is my games drive.

1 TB M.2 drive in the first slot.1 TB M.2 drive in the first slot.

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Yes, I need a gaming monitor if I'm going with an AMD RX 7900 XT video card.  This one was on sale for about $250 on Amazon.

This will be my first Sceptre monitor.This will be my first Sceptre monitor.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Good sound has been important to me, since I had worked at JBL in Northridge, California for a few years prior to attending university.  These are still the best computer speakers for the money in my humble opinion.  I now have ten sets.  You heard that right.

These Promedia 2.1 speakers haven't changed very much over the years.  Sure, they found ways to save money here and there, but they still sound great.These Promedia 2.1 speakers haven't changed very much over the years. Sure, they found ways to save money here and there, but they still sound great.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I will start on this build soon.  I have the desk area ready for it.

This is the spot where the new build will reside.This is the spot where the new build will reside.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I did some building for a few hours yesterday.  I started by removing the glass panels in my Thermaltake case and then I pulled the AM5 socket cover off and replaced it with a Thermalright machined cover.  Looks snazzy!

You unscrew the corner brackets and the glass slides out.jYou unscrew the corner brackets and the glass slides out.j

These new iLink fans plug into each other.These new iLink fans plug into each other.

I pulled off the AM5 stock locking cover.I pulled off the AM5 stock locking cover.

New AM5 cover mounted.New AM5 cover mounted.

Thats the Thermalright Frame I guess?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Yes.  You can't see much of it once the AIO pump is on top of the CPU.

0 Likes

I dont mind it seeing, was just curious which brand since I know that Roman is in trouble with them.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Well, I've been busy this afternoon, here at Big Al Computers.  I dealt with hand and finger cramps trying to connect everything up and you know what?  The World-of-Tanks build booted successfully!  I just finished playing a round of World of Tanks - Blitz before ending my efforts for tonight.  There are still things to install and configure, like some decent wallpapers, change some memory settings in the BIOS and things of this nature.  I'm so happy it booted up after one power button push and one reset.

The AIO is installed.  Hey, I look pretty good....The AIO is installed. Hey, I look pretty good....

I think everything is connected.  The CPU power plugs (2 of them) were a real pain.I think everything is connected. The CPU power plugs (2 of them) were a real pain.

First push of the power button.  I needed to hit reset one time to get video to the monitor.First push of the power button. I needed to hit reset one time to get video to the monitor.

After some Windows 11 updates, and  a Steam install, I'm playing World of Tanks - Blitz!After some Windows 11 updates, and a Steam install, I'm playing World of Tanks - Blitz!

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I'm not sure if this is a Panzer IV assault gun or another variant.I'm not sure if this is a Panzer IV assault gun or another variant.

I did some more configuration things, like installing iCUE and some wallpapers.  I also placed one of my old tank models inside the case.  I have a few more that I'm gluing back together - they didn't travel well back in 1991 when we moved here from California!

That's a German assault gun inside the case.  There's a Tiger tank as my wallpaper.That's a German assault gun inside the case. There's a Tiger tank as my wallpaper.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I changed out the base this morning, after finding my old drafting board from the university days of the early 1980's.  I put black duck tape (two strips per side) on the board and the LED mouse pad covers the rest.  This is better than painting those previous wooden boxes, especially since it's so cold out here in Northern Virginia lately.  Yesterday, I played around with the iCUE configurations and selected the radar gif image for the LCD display in the water pump.  It gives the machine a military look I think.

Putting the black duck tape on my drafting board.Putting the black duck tape on my drafting board.

Trim the edges with a blade and there you have it.Trim the edges with a blade and there you have it.

This is how the LED mouse pad covers the rest of the base.This is how the LED mouse pad covers the rest of the base.

You can see the radar gif running on the pump LCD.  Ok, let's get back to gaming....You can see the radar gif running on the pump LCD. Ok, let's get back to gaming....

eebiii
Forerunner

Turned out Fantastic!

Definitely one of my favorite cases.

I also know exactly where to place the HEAT Satchel on that Tiger so it goes bye bye. lol

Awol
Challenger

Really cool build and i love that case you're using. Looks like there's loads of room for decent airflow.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Last few adjustments today.  I had ordered a World of Tanks mousepad from their store and it arrived yesterday.  I knew this was a big mousepad with the Tiger II on it, but as they say, 'go big or go home'.  Two of the monitor legs sit on top of the mousepad but it's really not an issue.  I hope the silkscreened image lasts a while.  I also did a BIOS update yesterday morning and reset the memory back up to 6000 MHz.  (On my website, I took the picture after the BIOS update but prior to resetting the memory frequency via EXPO-1).  I think this is now a worthy battle station!

The latest BIOS is dated Feb 2024.  I did this update since I did have problems with the mouse on a few USB ports.The latest BIOS is dated Feb 2024. I did this update since I did have problems with the mouse on a few USB ports.

World of Tanks mousepad looks great.World of Tanks mousepad looks great.

I forgot to pour a glass of wine for the picture.  Anyway, the mousepad fits on my glass table.I forgot to pour a glass of wine for the picture. Anyway, the mousepad fits on my glass table.

eebiii
Forerunner

Nice looking TigerNice looking Tigerlooks like he needs a chargelooks like he needs a chargeBetter hit the sweet spot!Better hit the sweet spot!Bye Bye Tiger!Bye Bye Tiger!

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Poor Tiger.  I think that 511 number is famous.  Is that one of the Tiger I's that England grabbed after the war?

The most famous one in the UK is the Tiger 131 in Bovington. Still there might be an 511, have to read through the books orm google it.

eebiii
Forerunner

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Thanks for that explanation of the numbering system.  It was quite confusing to me in the past.