cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Tech Mythbusting? Debunking? [DISCUSSION RIGHT HERE!]

Allow me to start a topic that I always wanted to open. A very controversial one. 😈
The DO or DO NOT and the YOU REALLY NEED TO DO IT OR BAD THINGS HAPPEN!

This is kind of a mythbusting or debunking in a discussion topic, you are free as ever to way in and show your point of view.

Now, allow me to throw the first stone, BIOS UPDATES 

You DO NOT need to keep your personal computer BIOS/UEFI always up to date. 😈

I've done so many in my life and let me tell you, 99.9999....% of them were done to corporate computers as an IT. Only did about 3 (maybe?) BIOS updates on my personal rigs over the last 3 decades.

BIOS updates are good when you need to address an ongoing issue like stability on a certain component, new part releases, a security patch, new features or critical issues like the one Intel is now having and AMD had in the past.

If your system is running well and you didn't changed any piece of hardware, there is no reason to update, you really shouldn't do it. Specially on fine tuned systems.

This is even back up by an ASUS rep, Juan Jose Guerrero from ASUS on their official FB "ASUS PC DIY"

johnnyenglish_0-1715373821722.png

I'm yet to face a problem from old BIOS versions, I understand that I can cross one in the future but so far haven't had the need to disrupt my fine tuned system.
One of the most usual feedback is, not able to keep memory timings&speed after an update.

Remember this rule: If everything is working, don't break it with an update

What are you thoughts?

The Englishman
2 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It's generally accepted that if your computer is running just fine, and you aren't trying to tweak it further, then leaving the BIOS alone is the wise thing to do.  If you are planning to upgrade to a newer CPU that plugs into the same socket, I would recommend updating the BIOS to the latest version before you do the swap.  If you are upgrading your memory sticks to better stuff, I would also update the BIOS before the swap.  But changing the video card could lead you to some instability issues, so a BIOS update in that case should wait until you see how it works - assuming you can plug the old video card back in if necessary.    

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
lowteck
Miniboss

star-trek-james-t-kirk.gif

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...