Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

PaddyBr
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 and DVD writer

Hi,

I hope that this is the right place to post my query so I would be grateful if someone would redirect me if I should go elsewhere. I have recently replaced my motherboard with a Ryzen 5 5000 setup. I am running Win10pro 64bit. I have an LG GE20 LU10 external DVD writer which worked perfectly well with my old setup. However, when I insert a DVD now I

get a message as shown in the inserted pic. It looks like the DVD writer wants to format the disk instead of reading the DVD and displaying the contents. I am not sure whether this has to do with BIOS settings or something with Windows. I have downloaded and installed the LG drivers but this made no difference. I would appreciate any help.

PS. What "Labels" are required in the "Labels"window at the end of the message?
Message displayed by DVD writerMessage displayed by DVD writer

0 Likes
8 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I'm kind of baffled why a CPU/Board upgrade would impact on a DVD drive at all.

I have a 7950X and still have an internal DVD for my nostalgic games and never reinstalled a fresh new windows for more than a decade going through several boards and CPU's along the way.

I would guess maybe its a windows issue, since its an external drive, try on another computer and check it out. Make sure the DVD you are trying to read is OK and if the previous burn was closed (if its a DVD-RW). Try a music CD to see how it goes.

...Now this is some ancient words that I never would've though to say again...

The Englishman
0 Likes

Thanks for getting back. I am also not sure how it can be a Ryzen problem but I am exploring all  avenues. I have tried a rewriteable disk, a protected disk and a music disk and I keep getting the same message. As the DVD player starts up it automatically assumes I want to burn the disk. The only option open to me is to change the date and to press "NEXT", which leads to a message telling me that the disk is write protected. I will try and test the drive on another machine in case it is a hardware problem. Your assumption regarding Windows may very well be correct because shortly after upgrading my hardware I also upgraded my OS from WIN 7 to WIN 10, so I will explore this more thoroughly by asking for help on one of their fora.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Forerunner

It's simply asking if you want to use the media in an open read/write state, in order to be able to write additional files, but only accessible from your PC, OR if you are done writing files and want to close the media so that it can be read in other CD/DVD read-only drives.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I should just mention that after upgrading my hardware I also upgraded from WIN 7 to WIN 19. Previously if I inserted a CC/DVD into this drive it would read the contents then give me a list of options or, if a music CD, it would simply start playing. It's only since the changes to both my hardware and OS that I am experiencing this problem

0 Likes

Either the Win10 insert media behavior is different from Win7 or it didn't import your prior settings during the upgrade.

Click on the Search magnifying glass on the taskbar, type Control Panel

Click on AutoPlay

Select the drop-down(s) of the media settings you want to change

0 Likes

When I enter the Autoplay section I am presented with three options: A)Removable Drive, B) Memory Card and C) Mobile Phone. When I select Removable Drive I have a choice of A) Do Nothing, B)View Files, C) Ask Everytime and D) Configure Storage Settings. If I select B then I get the error message I originally asked about. If I select C or D then I get a message saying that the "Directory Name Is Invalid". Autoplay is turned on.

0 Likes

If you select "Open folder to view files (file explorer)" and are being prompted with the screenshot above "How do you want to use this disc?" that is not an error, that is Windows asking you how to use the file storage on the disc.

The error about "directory name is invalid" is likely caused by spaces in the disc title "18 Apr 2024" as media names should include only letters, numbers and underscore, or a folder name that is too long or contains invalid characters.

0 Likes

Irrespective of which CD/DVD I insert in the drive (Rewritable, Write Once or commercially made music CD) I immediately get the same response as indicated in the pic I submitted. If I use a file explorer it will show the relevant drive and it will indicate that there is a disk in the drive but it will not display any information regarding the disk. If I click on the drive absolutely nothing happens. I fail to understand why Windows would require me to indicate what I want to do with the disk when the message displayed ONLY allows me to indicate that I want to write to my music disk.

I only get the message regarding invalid directory name if I enter the Autoplay section of the settings. Again, I fail to see why it would tell me that the directory name is invalid when I have a commercial music cd in the drive.

0 Likes