cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

syatek
Journeyman III

5800X3D is idling at 70-90c

So I was getting really bad performance for my rig (4080 and 5800X3D) in WoW and it seems its because my CPU was reaching 90c and throttling performance.

I just cleaned off the old thermal paste and reapplied it. My CPU cooler is the MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R. The pump is running ~3900 RPM.

By Idling I mean, right now I'm just running Brave to write this post and AMD Ryzen Master to monitor the CPU temperature. Only other thing using a lot of memory is MsMpEng.exe - no idea what this is. But my CPU temperature has ranged from 70 to 90c

Idk how accurate Ryzen Master is though because it will jump up & down 10c in a few seconds... but HWMonitor also shows it running very hot.

I can see the 5800X3D tends to run hot but this is far too hot. Should I replace the water cooler with a fan? While gaming or benchmarking im locked at 90c... it seems I should be 35-50c on idle and 60-80c while gaming.

Really appreciate some help!

2 Replies
eebiii
Forerunner

yes, I would replace it. It is too high. 

I would think 30-40C @ idle and 75C max under load. 

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

syatek, your analysis is sound except Ryzen Master is the reference. I suspect your cooler is defective and suggest RMA. Temperatures will jump when Windows issue new task. Ryzen responds quickly and temperatures jump. It is always useful to see screenshots of Ryzen Master. Please forget HWmonitor. Enjoy, John

0 Likes