cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

melissahankins
Journeyman III

Help Needed: Experiencing Heating, Lagging, and Frame Rate Drops on My Ryzen 9 Laptop

Hey fellow tech enthusiasts,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm here to seek some advice and solutions for a rather frustrating issue I've been facing with my Ryzen 9 laptop. It's been a powerful machine, but recently, I've noticed some concerning problems that have been hindering my gaming and overall user experience.

The Problem:

My Ryzen 9 laptop [ https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/d/ryzen-9-gaming-laptop/ ], equipped with impressive specs and capable of handling demanding tasks, has suddenly started exhibiting heating issues, accompanied by severe lagging and frame rate drops. It's been quite perplexing because I've always managed to keep the system cool and optimized in the past.

Symptoms:

Heating: The laptop seems to heat up significantly even during light tasks, and the fans are audibly louder than usual. I've tried placing it on a cooling pad to alleviate the issue, but the problem persists.

Lagging: Applications and tasks that used to run smoothly now stutter and lag. Even simple web browsing and document editing have become quite sluggish.

Frame Rate Drops: As a passionate gamer, I'm particularly concerned about frame rate drops during gaming sessions. Games that previously ran flawlessly are now experiencing noticeable drops in frame rates, making the experience far from enjoyable.

What I've Tried:

Checking Background Apps: I've made sure that no resource-intensive background apps are running while I'm gaming or working on the laptop.

Updating Drivers: I've updated all the drivers to their latest versions, including the graphics card drivers.

Cleaning: I've carefully cleaned the laptop's vents and ensured that airflow is not obstructed in any way.

Despite these efforts, the issues persist, and I'm at a loss for what could be causing these problems.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9 [Your Processor Model]

GPU: AMD

RAM: 8 GB

Storage: 276 Gb SSD

Seeking Help:

I'm reaching out to this forum in the hopes of getting some insight into what might be causing these heating, lagging, and frame rate drop issues. Have any of you faced similar problems with your Ryzen 9 laptops? If so, what steps did you take to resolve them? Are there any software tweaks, settings adjustments, or potential hardware solutions I should consider?

I'd really appreciate your advice and expertise on this matter. I want to get back to enjoying my laptop's performance without these frustrating hiccups.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Best regards,

melissahankins

1 Reply
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You already started with the obvious things.  I would also scan the laptop for virus infestation even though you checked for background apps hogging resources.  Are you checking the CPU and GPU temperatures to see if they are running too high?  

Another thing to consider is your limited storage space and RAM.  Your system might be using the storage space to cache the RAM and finding it more difficult with limited storage space.  How full is your storage at this time?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes