cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Hammerstein
Adept II

RX7900XT when idle - Display driver amduw23g stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Last week I spent $1300 AUD on upgrading to the RX7900XT from a NVIDIA 2070 Super.

So far the experience has been disappointing.

The card is crashing to a black screen and does not recover.
This happens if my PC is powered on and idle for an hour or two with no GPU or CPU load.

Windows Event log under System has this logged each time the error occurs:

"Display driver amduw23g stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

The display never recovers and stays black which forces me to do a hard restart using the power button.

When the PC boots and I open any window that was open when the display driver crashed, the window is sized for 320x240 which suggests the display when "recovering" sizes it to 320x240 but the screen is black.

I had high hopes for this card but am seriously regretting going AMD. How can the drivers be so bad for a card that is $1300 Australian Dollars?

As the card/drivers don't seem fit for purpose as is, I am considering returning it.

I have tried a number of fixes:

1. Registry key TdrDelay to 60s
  2. Registry key ULPS to 0
  3. AMD clean uninstall and fresh driver install
  4. DDU uninstall and fresh driver install
  5. Reseat of GPU
  6. Checked environmentals/heat
  7. Disabled MPO
  8. Disabled Freesync

I have an 850W power supply. I doubt its related to power draw because it happens when the PC is idle with no load.

Anyone else experienced this or have suggestions to what might fix this problem?

28 Replies
Grimace1918
Adept I

I don't have quite the same problem as you but maybe this could help. On my 7900xt I have a 4k 120hz panel connected to my GPU and If I lower the refresh rate to 30hz my tv shows no signal and I have to wait for setting to revert. I know the recent drivers have been a little on the fritz since AMD announcing FSR3.

0 Likes

I have two monitors connected. Both at 1440p. Primary is at 144hz, secondary is at 60hz. Both go black and don't recover.

0 Likes
DipakJ27
Adept III

While the crashing issue might seem alarming, it's not uncommon for new graphics cards to have driver-related problems when they first launch. AMD is aware of the TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) issue with the RX7900XT and is actively working on a fix.

In the meantime, you can try a few things to mitigate the problem:

1. Update to the latest AMD drivers
  2. AMD releases frequent driver updates to address known issues.
  3. Make sure you have the latest version installed.
  4. You can download it from AMD's website.
  5. Disable specific features
  6. Some users have reported that disabling certain features like MPO (Multi-Plane Overlays) and Freesync can help alleviate the crashing issue.
  7. Try disabling these features in AMD's Adrenalin software and see if it makes a difference.
  8. Monitor GPU temperature
  9. Overheating can cause instability and driver crashes.
  10. Check your GPU's temperature using a monitoring tool like MSI Afterburner or HWMonitor.
  11. If the temperatures are consistently high, consider improving the airflow in your case or adjusting the fan curve.
  12. Report the issue to AMD
  13. AMD relies on user feedback to identify and address driver problems.
  14. Submit a detailed report about your experience to AMD's support team.
  15. This will help them prioritize the fix.
  16. Consider returning the card
  17. If the issue persists despite trying these solutions, you might want to consider returning the card and waiting for AMD to release a more stable driver version.

Remember, it's not uncommon for new hardware to have initial hiccups. With proper troubleshooting and AMD's efforts, the issue should be resolved soon. Hang in there and keep trying the suggested fixes until a more stable driver is available.

Dipakjadhav
0 Likes
Hammerstein
Adept II

Update: I replaced my 850W power supply with a 1000W power supply.

Could be coincidence but the problem hasn't reoccurred yet.

Seems very odd that it would be power related noting the problem was occurring with an idle PC and not under gaming load.

0 Likes

not a coincidence, lol

Providing good stable power doesn't mean just when under load 

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Yeah it was. Even with a swap to 1000w power supply. It started happening again.

I have changed to Radeon PRO drivers and so far I haven't had a display crash.

Will see how it goes and report back. It seems driver related and not power related.

0 Likes

what 1kw psu?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Seasonic Prime 80+ Titanium TX1000

Previous one was Seasonic Prime 80+ Titanium TX850

Still haven't had a display crash since changing to Radeon PRO drivers.

0 Likes
Hammerstein
Adept II

Update: Problem is still occuring despite swapping out to 1000w power supply.

Display driver amduw23g stopped responding

Only way to recover from the black screen is to turn the PC off with the power button......Tired of this. 

0 Likes

Bought a 7900xt hellhound last week and have had to send it back due to similar issues

card would work fine in safe mode and without amd drivers installed, to a degree obviously without drivers its pretty unusable. 

Whenever i would attempt to install drivers i would then get the black screen and have to turn off pc, sometimes it would freeze the entire pc and i'd have to turn off the power supply. 

I troubleshooted everything i could, it was impossible to get the card running, it didnt matter whether drivers were recent, the latest, or older still would crash. 

did ddu about 100 times and 2 fresh installs of windows.

Dont know whether to try a different 7900xt or give up on the card all together. 

0 Likes

I'm trying the latest enteprise Radeon PRO drivers instead to see if they solve the issue.

I'm hoping my issue is just driver related problems with the consumer grade Radeon Gaming drivers.

At this stage I'd rather stability over peformance.

So far I haven't had the problem occur since....but time will tell.

I'll report back.

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with a 7800xt, did you find a solution to this problem? 

Thanks in advance!

I am having precisely this problem with a 7950X3D, onboard only graphics also.

I have even downlclocked the onboard GPU for the time being.

I DO NOT PLAY GAMES and don't care for them on my PC, I just want stable, 'business level' Windows graphics to do stuff.

I have a Lenovo Business PC with AMD graphics / CPU and it's working without issue, using the following older driver: 31.0.14058.6003
(If I use the AMD Search tool on their site for the 5650GE processor I have now though, it is indeed recommending  I get "AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition" "24.3.1"  Rel: "3/20/2024"

I have to wonder if it's just bad GPU / 2D Windows drivers, not sure.

0 Likes
tensai82
Adept I

Hi,

Like most of here i had the same freezing issue for a while.

Tried every method i could find and i was ready to give up, but fortunatelly one of the last atempts was successfull, at least for 3 days now

My coinfig is:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900

MB: ASRock X670E Pro RS

GPU: Sapphire RX 7900 XT Pulse

DDRAM: DDR5-6000 GSkill

Let me tell you when it started, back in January and what the effects were.

Bassically i had no issues when running a game, only when it was in idle or watching youtube when the image will freeze in place but everyhing else would run, hearing the sound in the backround of the frozen image.

Then i would force power down the pc using the power button.Thjis was totallay random, no specific time for a couple of times a day.

I tried all drivers from amd in the last months, nothing, DDU, fresh install of windows, nothing, until i reseated and flashed the bios of my GPU to the original one and also the most important , chosen a BIOS for my Motherboard , that all the issues dissapeared.

Now i have installed the latest driver from amd, without the adrenalin sofware, only the display driver 24.3.1.

The version of bios for my GPU is taken from here: 

VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp

You have the tool to flash the bios in the upper part of the page along with a user guide on how to do it.

The bios for my montherboard i took it from here and the version that is stable for me is 2.02

ASRock > X670E Pro RS

I hope this might help sopmeone , because for the alast 2 months it was a challenge finding a solution and was ready to give up on the AMD GPU and it`s awfull drivers.

Best of luck and i will update this post if anything else should appear!

0 Likes

So... what's the verdict here? Was GPU VBIOS the culprit? Should I try flashing my GPU too? 

0 Likes
tensai82
Adept I

minor update. do not activate adaptive sync on your monitor , because i did..and instantly gor the error:) freezing pc so..freesync premium pro monitors be carefull.i will keep monitoring the issue

0 Likes

issue reapeared:((. i have no more ideas. one more thing to try is to check with another monitor. i will let you know in a few days.

0 Likes

the issue persists.with or without other monitors; i even flashed the latest VBIOS of the graphic card, still the same issue. i really do not know what else to do....

0 Likes
Nixfox
Adept I

I purchased my first AMD graphics card (RX 6600 XT) two years ago, and I was immediately welcomed with the infamous "monitor not waking up from sleep mode". The ULPS reg setting did the trick, but then the random driver crashes joined the party. Long story short, I ended up always installing drivers only and using Afterburner instead of Adrenalin. No problems since then.

Deemon69
Elite

Good day!
Try disabling Spread Spectrum in BIOS

0 Likes
tensai82
Adept I

can you confirm  this setting fixed the pc freezes? or is just an advice to try?? because i did it and immediately after, it froze my pc again:) while watching a youtube video. so definitelly didn`t work for me

0 Likes

Anyone had any luck with this issue?

I don't have a dedicated graphics card yet just the built in graphics on the 7800x3d. Getting a black screen crash every 30mins to an HR at idle. The pc is on still and working in the background because if you hit the windows key the up,right,enter,up then enter on the keyboard the pc will reset.( Cheat code). Don't get the error on basic display drivers just the AMD ones🤦🏻‍

0 Likes
norrest
Adept I

Disable Windows fast boot

Disable hdcp support in AMD driver settings for all monitors.

It is advisable to disable fastboot in the BIOS

0 Likes

didn`t work; same issue appears; i`m going to RMA the video card and try changing it to an NVIDIA one.; i give up using any amd video card!

I suspect it's a driver problem, people using very old drivers claim no issues.
So sad in 2024, still.  How on earth is this an issue, surely they 'dogfood' at AMD and are seeing the same problem?

0 Likes
tensai82
Adept I

I don`t think it`s an amd driver problem for me. i`m saying that because the issue even happened when i installed windows on a  freshly formated c:drive. bassically when chosing the language in the installation process of windows..and no driver was installed on the system:) I will keep you posted on my adventure:P

0 Likes
tensai82
Adept I

the saga continues:P i got another video card, a new one back from service..and guess what? it has the same errors..BRAND NEW:) no AMD..no more..going NVIDIA

0 Likes
tensai82
Adept I

I got a refund and bought a 4080 Super from NVIDIA!

hopping for the best...

The best solutions for all AMD problems is a NVIDIA card:)

0 Likes