Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Atresta
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon RX 6800 Certain games just freeze up immediately on launch

Hey everyone,

I built my current pc a couple months ago, and I have been running into the persistent issue of certain games just immediately freezing upon launch. I have looked into it before, but have never been able to resolve the issue. Today I was hoping to get into the fresh new Manor Lords, but unfortunately it has turned out to be one of the games that my GPU seems to take no interest in running. I tried the AMD Cleanup tool, to no avail. Anyone any ideas what could be causing this?

Maybe it's unrelated, but whenever a game freezes and I end it via task manager, my computer seems to be under the impression that it is still running. It's all very strange. Any insight is welcome!

Specifications:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
Storage: KIOXIA EXCERIA G2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card

0 Likes
1 Solution

I don't think you're screwed. I think the most likely cause is a combination of Windows and Drivers conflicts. Worst case, you can do a clean Windows install to determine this.

What are your other system specs?

Here's what I would do. The big idea here is to reset everything to default and work from there.

Overview

1. Verify hardware basics
  2. Set default video output device in BIOS and connect monitor to dGPU only with DisplayPort
  3. Clean install Windows
  4. Install AMD drivers

Verify Hardware

1. Verify your PSU is strong enough for your system
  2. Connect your GPU with separate PSU cables (not dasiy-chained)
  3. Verify your RAM kit is on your mobo's QVL list. AM5 is particular about RAM compatibility.
  4. Verify your RAM is fully inserted into the correct slots. Remove and reseat your RAM back into the slots.
  5. Disable EXPO / XMP. This excludes RAM instability as a potential cause.
  6. Run MemTest86 to verify your RAM is not faulty.
  7. Remove and reseat your GPU back into the slot.
  8. Perform a CMOS reset to reset your mobo to default settings (make sure you note or save any previously applied settings you wish to keep).
  9. Optional: Consider a BIOS update to the latest non-beta version or save this for the very end if nothing else works.

Set Default Video Output Device in your BIOS

1. Connect your dGPU to your monitor, preferably with a DisplayPort cable. Don't connect your mobo's video output to your monitor (Windows will treat your iGPU as default if you do this).
  2. Set the default video output device in your BIOS to the PCIe device / dGPU

Optional 1: Clean reinstall Windows OR clean install Windows to a different spare SSD

This is a more "heavy-handed" approach IMO, but is the best way to rule out misc Windows, software, and driver conflicts. Since I have separate partitions for Windows and my data / games, it's not a big deal for me to clean install Windows at any time. You can choose to do this at the end if nothing else works. Personally, I'd rather do it up front.

1. Backup any data you wish to save to a separate drive or partition.
  2. Either erase your Windows partition / disk and reinstall or choose one of the other options. The idea is to start from as clean a slate as possible to rule out conflicts. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reinstall-windows-d8369486-3e33-7d9c-dccc-859e2b022fc7
  3. Perform Windows Updates. Windows will likely install drivers for your dGPU during this process.
  4. Don't change any windows settings related to graphics such as specifying certain apps to use iGPU vs dGPU.

Optional 2: Run DISM and SFC to repair broken Windows core files

1. If you skipped Optional 1, run DISM and SFC. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-...
  2. Note that this will revert the "Disable Game Bar Presence Writer" file rename edit if you have performed this tweak.

Install AMD Drivers

1. Disable Windows from updating your drivers automatically. There are guides on how to do this.
  2. Download the latest chipset drivers for your mobo from AMD.
  3. Download the drivers for your CPU iGPU and your dGPU from AMD. Download both 24.4.1 and 23.12.1 for each.
  4. Download DDU and/or AMD Cleanup Utility ("ACU").
  5. Install the chipset drivers. Reboot if necessary.
  6. Boot into safe mode and run DDU and/or ACU to remove any GPU drivers installed by Windows. Beware of compatibility issues with HDMI and Safe Mode (you'll likely get a black screen if you attempt Safe Mode while connected via HDMI. Use DisplayPort).
  7. Decide on installing 24.4.1 or 23.12.1 for both iGPU and dGPU.
  8. Install the drivers for your iGPU. Reboot if necessary.
  9. Install the drivers for your dGPU. Reboot if necessary.
  10. Test your games
  11. If #10 doesn't work, reboot into BIOS and disable ReBAR / SAM / Smart Access Memory and retest. If it works, it's a ReBAR and/or a ReBAR and 24.x.x issue.
  12. If #11 / 24.4.1 "Full Install" doesn't work, repeat #6 and try a 24.4.1 "Driver Only" install. Retest. If it works, it's an Adrenalin issue.
  13. If #12 doesn't work, repeat #6 and try 23.12.1 "Full Install". Retest. If it works, it's a  24.x.x issue.
  14. If #13 doesn't work, repeat #6 and try 23.12.1 "Drivers Only". If it works, it's an Adrenalin issue.

Note that I have an Intel CPU, so there may not be separate steps for iGPU and dGPU drivers with an AMD CPU. If there aren't separate steps, I'd recommend installing the dGPU drivers.

Optional 3: Clean install Windows

1. If you skipped Optional 1 and nothing has worked up to this point, try Optional 1 and repeat the Install AMD Drivers steps.
  2. If nothing has worked up to this point, I'd suspect either a driver issue with those specific games or a hardware issue with the dGPU.
RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar

View solution in original post

10 Replies
432hz
Adept II

You can try the following:

1. Verify your RAM kit is on your mobo's QVL list. If it's not, try disabling EXPO.
  2. Run DISM and SFC to repair any Windows core files that may be broken https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-...
  3. Try installing 23.12.1 or 23.11.x drivers after uninstalling the current ones with DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility. There have been quite a few reports here of issues with the 24.x.x version drivers. Personally, I had to install 23.12.1 and disable ReBAR in BIOS to get good stability on my RX 6800.
  4. If you need game support added by a 24.x.x version of the drivers, you can try DDU / ACU then choosing a Driver-Only install or a Minimal Install.

0 Likes
Artey
Journeyman III

A big thank you goes out to both of you. Looks like I have Manor Lords to thank for getting us together. Installing the 23.12.1 drivers fixed it. Manor Lords, Banished, Factory Town. Finally the crashes on startup are a thing of the past, including the malfunctioning of the task manager. That said, there is still a big issue. The framerate is terrible. Manor Lords is chugging along at 14 fps in the menu. Factory Town, which I played at 144 fps before it stopped running, now gets 18 fps at 100% GPU usage. My cursor still moves smoothly over the screen. I tried changing some of the settings, but apparently that didn't help. Something is seriously wrong here. How can I fix that?

0 Likes

2 things come to mind:

1. Do you have an iGPU with you CPU? Confirm you're using the dGPU for running the games.

2. You may have to regenerate the shader cache for those games. See if there's an option within the game menu. If not, I think games typically do this as you play for the first 30 mins or so. You'll have to search to confirm.

You may be able to locate the folder containing the games' cache on your pc and delete it (Google for the proper steps here).

You may also want to delete the shader cache from within Adrenalin and see if it helps.

Adrenalin > Gaming > Graphics > Reset Shader Cache

adrenalin-cache.PNG

0 Likes
Artey
Journeyman III

I think we're back to square one. Yes, apparently it used my iGPU. I have a 7700X and 7800 XT. In Windows you can force apps to use the real GPU. Sadly, when I do that it behaves just like before with games not starting and me having to shut down my PC every time. Am I screwed now?

0 Likes

I don't think you're screwed. I think the most likely cause is a combination of Windows and Drivers conflicts. Worst case, you can do a clean Windows install to determine this.

What are your other system specs?

Here's what I would do. The big idea here is to reset everything to default and work from there.

Overview

1. Verify hardware basics
  2. Set default video output device in BIOS and connect monitor to dGPU only with DisplayPort
  3. Clean install Windows
  4. Install AMD drivers

Verify Hardware

1. Verify your PSU is strong enough for your system
  2. Connect your GPU with separate PSU cables (not dasiy-chained)
  3. Verify your RAM kit is on your mobo's QVL list. AM5 is particular about RAM compatibility.
  4. Verify your RAM is fully inserted into the correct slots. Remove and reseat your RAM back into the slots.
  5. Disable EXPO / XMP. This excludes RAM instability as a potential cause.
  6. Run MemTest86 to verify your RAM is not faulty.
  7. Remove and reseat your GPU back into the slot.
  8. Perform a CMOS reset to reset your mobo to default settings (make sure you note or save any previously applied settings you wish to keep).
  9. Optional: Consider a BIOS update to the latest non-beta version or save this for the very end if nothing else works.

Set Default Video Output Device in your BIOS

1. Connect your dGPU to your monitor, preferably with a DisplayPort cable. Don't connect your mobo's video output to your monitor (Windows will treat your iGPU as default if you do this).
  2. Set the default video output device in your BIOS to the PCIe device / dGPU

Optional 1: Clean reinstall Windows OR clean install Windows to a different spare SSD

This is a more "heavy-handed" approach IMO, but is the best way to rule out misc Windows, software, and driver conflicts. Since I have separate partitions for Windows and my data / games, it's not a big deal for me to clean install Windows at any time. You can choose to do this at the end if nothing else works. Personally, I'd rather do it up front.

1. Backup any data you wish to save to a separate drive or partition.
  2. Either erase your Windows partition / disk and reinstall or choose one of the other options. The idea is to start from as clean a slate as possible to rule out conflicts. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reinstall-windows-d8369486-3e33-7d9c-dccc-859e2b022fc7
  3. Perform Windows Updates. Windows will likely install drivers for your dGPU during this process.
  4. Don't change any windows settings related to graphics such as specifying certain apps to use iGPU vs dGPU.

Optional 2: Run DISM and SFC to repair broken Windows core files

1. If you skipped Optional 1, run DISM and SFC. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-...
  2. Note that this will revert the "Disable Game Bar Presence Writer" file rename edit if you have performed this tweak.

Install AMD Drivers

1. Disable Windows from updating your drivers automatically. There are guides on how to do this.
  2. Download the latest chipset drivers for your mobo from AMD.
  3. Download the drivers for your CPU iGPU and your dGPU from AMD. Download both 24.4.1 and 23.12.1 for each.
  4. Download DDU and/or AMD Cleanup Utility ("ACU").
  5. Install the chipset drivers. Reboot if necessary.
  6. Boot into safe mode and run DDU and/or ACU to remove any GPU drivers installed by Windows. Beware of compatibility issues with HDMI and Safe Mode (you'll likely get a black screen if you attempt Safe Mode while connected via HDMI. Use DisplayPort).
  7. Decide on installing 24.4.1 or 23.12.1 for both iGPU and dGPU.
  8. Install the drivers for your iGPU. Reboot if necessary.
  9. Install the drivers for your dGPU. Reboot if necessary.
  10. Test your games
  11. If #10 doesn't work, reboot into BIOS and disable ReBAR / SAM / Smart Access Memory and retest. If it works, it's a ReBAR and/or a ReBAR and 24.x.x issue.
  12. If #11 / 24.4.1 "Full Install" doesn't work, repeat #6 and try a 24.4.1 "Driver Only" install. Retest. If it works, it's an Adrenalin issue.
  13. If #12 doesn't work, repeat #6 and try 23.12.1 "Full Install". Retest. If it works, it's a  24.x.x issue.
  14. If #13 doesn't work, repeat #6 and try 23.12.1 "Drivers Only". If it works, it's an Adrenalin issue.

Note that I have an Intel CPU, so there may not be separate steps for iGPU and dGPU drivers with an AMD CPU. If there aren't separate steps, I'd recommend installing the dGPU drivers.

Optional 3: Clean install Windows

1. If you skipped Optional 1 and nothing has worked up to this point, try Optional 1 and repeat the Install AMD Drivers steps.
  2. If nothing has worked up to this point, I'd suspect either a driver issue with those specific games or a hardware issue with the dGPU.

Heyhey,

Thank you for your extensive list of things to try. Over the past week I've spent more time working my way through it than I would care to admit. I've learned a lot.

In the end I did a clean install of Windows 10, which has taken care of all of the problems. Sometimes you just got to bring out the drastic measures I suppose.

Thanks again for your support!

0 Likes

You're welcome! Glad to hear it's working.

Yeah, clean installing Windows early can save a lot of time and headaches.

Enjoy!

0 Likes
Artey
Journeyman III

I have 32 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro, 850W PSU, B650-A motherboard. Here's what I did.

1) Elden Ring runs (well, ran) fine and it also used the dGPU, so it's not a hardware issue, right? I'd rather not try to remove any components.

2) I looked everywhere in the BIOS, but couldn't find the default output device, even though it has a search function.

3) Resetting Windows didn't work, but it didn't say why. The ways to fix that I found didn't help. I don't have an installation CD because it was pre-installed.

4) I did the DISM and SFC after your first reply already. SFC didn't find anything.

5) I disabled Windows Update, both in the registry for drivers and also in the usual settings.

6) I installed the chipset drivers in safe mode.

7) Ran ACU, installed 23.12.1 (default option, so most likely full install) for iGPU and dGPU (yes, in that order in case that matters). I did all (un)installations of drivers in safe mode and with a restart inbetween. Game still crashed.

The Rebar thing also didn't make a difference.

9) Ran ACU, installed 24.4.1 (driver only) for both and with factory settings. I figured that would reset more. Same result.

10) ACU, 23.12.1 (driver only, factory settings were unavailable). Again same result. And now Elden Ring became infected, too.

I appreciate your help and you seem to know your stuff, but sadly it didn't work. I see only two possible solutions. Buying Windows 11 again or going back to team green. I'm exhausted now. Good night.
0 Likes

Sorry to hear it didn't work. DO NOT buy Windows 11 again. You can reinstall at any time for free.

You don't need a Windows 10 / 11 CD. You can use the built-in recovery partition or create your own bootable Windows USB (see second link).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reinstall-windows-d8369486-3e33-7d9c-dccc-859e2b022fc7#W...

You can create your own USB installer for Windows 10 or 11. Windows 10 is completely free to use (there will be a watermark that appears in the bottom right of the screen from time to time if you choose to not purchase a license.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f...

0 Likes
jackwhy121
Journeyman III

When experiencing freezes in certain games immediately upon launch with the AMD Radeon RX 6800, troubleshooting steps such as updating graphics drivers, checking for game updates, and adjusting in-game settings can often resolve the issue.

0 Likes