Graphics Cards

Joshpto444
Adept I

7900xt power consumption and usage

cpu: ryzen 5800x3d

gpu: rx 7900 xt

ram: crucial ballistics 16gb 3600mz cl16

motherboard: asus rog strix b550-f

in games like destiny 2, warframe, and modern warfare 2019, my gpu power consumptiom rockets to it's cap despite me only playing a 1440p with fps capped a 144. my temps shoot up to 85c hotspot over 100c. these games are nowhere near that demanding for my graphics card to use that much power, sometime it would somehow go over the cap of 309 watts to 312 watts. i can't remember these games being this demand on my graphics card, is this normal please tell me if not can someone help me fix it?  

0 Likes
1 Solution
Joshpto444
Adept I

ok apparently, the default setting in the adrenaline software was running the card at 1.100v. i tuned that down to 1.040v and everything is good now

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Joshpto444
Adept I

i forgot to add that so far it only crashes on destiny 2 legend onslaught activity, specifically legend difficulty for some reason?...maybe to piss me off 

0 Likes

What wattage is your PSU? Make & Model?

If your GPU card hot spot is reaching and surpassing 110c then you need to have it checked under Warranty by your GPU card's manufacturer.  If it isn't going above 110c it is still within its normal Maximum Operating Temperature and Support will say that is normal.

Hot running GPU cards can be due to:

1- Poor Air Circulation inside the PC.  Remove the side panel and see if your GPU card runs slightly cooler. IF it does that would indicate poor air flow inside your PC.

2- Under-powered PSU can cause your GPU card to run hot under heavy loads.

3- Your GPU Card's thermal Paste/Pads are not working efficiently.

4-Defective GPU card or GPU fan is not working the way it should

5-Configure GPU card fan profile to run at maximum at a lower Hot Spot temperature. Misconfigured GPU fan Profile.

6-Overclocking GPU card.

Download OCCT and run all three tests to stress test your GPU card and see if it overheats while being tested.

Check for Fan Speed, Temperatures, PSU Outputs, Wattage, etc. See if you see anything abnormal while under stress testing.

NOTE: as to it crashing only on one game might indicate a driver issue or Game issue.

By crashing you mean you lose video output or PC shutdown or just the game crashes to the desktop or screen freezes?

Try different configuration in both the Game itself and AMD Radeon Settings to see if the crashes stops.

Check for any game updates. Reinstall game.

Try using a previous AMD driver to see if the crashes continues.  Set the GPU card back to default settings to eliminate any overclocking or incorrect configuration of the GPU card.

Otherwise open a AMD SUPPORT TICKET and see what they say: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

0 Likes

reference model 7900 xt bought it jan 2023

i have a msi mpg a1000g pcie 5.0 80 gold psu

by crashing i mean it restarts/shuts down the system the screen would be black or green while making a EEEEEE sound.

i originally had 24.4.1 and rolled back to 23.11.1 but i'm still suffering the same issue

0 Likes

i tested occt. my power and usage max out at 70-74% intensity. my hotspot temp is around 95-100c

0 Likes
FunkZ
Forerunner

What 7900XT card? AMD reference? Partner card? Which? If partner card, does it have OC Bios?

The 5800X3D is one of the best CPUs for gaming and will allow a graphics card to get some of the highest frame rates possible.

Having only 16GB RAM at 1440p is probably not going to max out the memory but it's close.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

i have the amd reference model

0 Likes
Joshpto444
Adept I

ok apparently, the default setting in the adrenaline software was running the card at 1.100v. i tuned that down to 1.040v and everything is good now

0 Likes

I don't have any of the games you list, however I checked my reference 7900 XT with Adrenalin on Default while running Furmark 1440p benchmark and it tops out at 700mV.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

yeah, i dunno why it 100% my voltage. the highest voltage should go on 7900 xt is 1.040 mv, i've never seen anyone use 1.050mv or higher.  

0 Likes