cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

eXistenZ2
Journeyman III

Freezing+rebooting

In september last year I did an upgrade to my pc with a friend who builds pc’s as a hobby (and had previously upgraded it). Main components were RX 7800XT, Ryzen 7 5800X, B550 gaming plus. However I had tons of problems with it. Shutdown due to overheating, random shutdowns, etc… Did tons of stuff in the BIOS but to no avail.

Due to my mate going through a messy breakup and also injuring himself, I decided to go nuclear. I scrapped the PC, sold the parts and ordered a custombuild from the best known retailer (Ryzen 7 7800X3D, AX B650, RX 7800XT, Corsair 850W, 32GB RAM

At first it looked fine, but I eventually stumbled upon the same issue:  The system freezes, there is a short sound distortion (2 seconds), and it reboots. No Bluescreen, no error messages.  Even the event viewer doesn’t state anything aside from “previous shutdown was unexpected”.

Ive changed one thing in the BIOS, power loading from auto to enabled, which seems to have reduced the amounts of freezes/reboots, but it still happens on an average of once a day. Usually during gaming, but that might be sample bias as I use this pc mostly for gaming. It has also done it during a variety of games, from something more intensive like AC Mirage, to Unrailed and EU4.

Ive done a variety of tests and benchmarks (memory, Heaven benchmark, stresstests), and nothing came up. I don’t know exactly what triggers the freezing/rebooting, so bringing it back in to the retailer is at this point not much use, as they’ll just do the same tests.

So basically opening this topic to learn what else I can try, what the issue could be. If there are any other AMD users with the same problem, etc…

TLDR: PC freezes and reboots randomly with no distinguishable cause

0 Likes
6 Replies
432hz
Adept III

Just to confirm, is this an all-new pre-built pc?

A few things come to mind:

1. Faulty RAM (MemTest64)
  2. Not properly seated RAM
  3. Incompatible RAM EXPO profile (Disable EXPO / XMP in BIOS. Check your mobo's QVL list for your specific RAM kit.)
  4. Overheating causing CPU to shut down the pc (what are your CPU temps and what cooler are you using)?
  5. Do you have latest chipset drivers from AMD?
  6. Do you have latest non-beta BIOS for your mobo?
  7. Do you have any Ryzen Master settings applied?
  8. Random shutdowns could be due to the PSU being unable to handle power spikes, but the new 850W Corsair should be more than enough for this config. Does the GPU have 2 separate power cables running to it?
  9. Is a CPU contact frame being used? If it's installed too tightly or too loosely, it could cause RAM issues, BSODs etc. This might also extend to the CPU cooler too if it's installed way too tight.
  10. Is this a clean Windows install or a "restore" from your old machine?

I had some strange Windows / BIOS issues related to Resizable BAR and the 24.x.x AMD Adrenaline drivers with my 6800. I disabled Resizable BAR in BIOS and clean installed 23.12.1 and have had good stability since.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes

Hello, my apologies for my (very) late reply. Shortly after posting I had an issue with my fans, so took a few days to get them replaced. Then the freezing occured just once (when I was testing it in a different room, so it wasnt an outlet issue). After that I put it back into its normal place and I didnt have the issue for more than a week, untill 15 minutes ago.

Yes, its a new prebuilt pc, from the biggest national pc seller/assemblers. Given that I already had this issue with a previous build, I dont think its an issue of faulty assembling

1. Faulty RAM (MemTest64) --> already did that, no issue
  2. Not properly seated RAM
  3. Incompatible RAM EXPO profile (Disable EXPO / XMP in BIOS. Check your mobo's QVL list for your specific RAM kit.) --> disabled it now
  4. Overheating causing CPU to shut down the pc (what are your CPU temps and what cooler are you using)?  -> its an AiO cooler but Ive had the issue happening at idle (40C) so it isnt temps related
  5. Do you have latest chipset drivers from AMD?  Yes
  6. Do you have latest non-beta BIOS for your mobo? Yes
  7. Do you have any Ryzen Master settings applied? No
  8. Random shutdowns could be due to the PSU being unable to handle power spikes, but the new 850W Corsair should be more than enough for this config. Does the GPU have 2 separate power cables running to it? Yes
  9. Is a CPU contact frame being used? If it's installed too tightly or too loosely, it could cause RAM issues, BSODs etc. This might also extend to the CPU cooler too if it's installed way too tight.  --> See above, its second build where this happens
  10. Is this a clean Windows install or a "restore" from your old machine? Clean windows install

Ive done a stresstest where I ran Prime95, furmark and HWinfo64 for 15 minutes, no issues. CPU didnt peak above 83, GPU went to 88

0 Likes

Very strange. The only other thing that comes to mind is an issue with the power in your house / apartment / building / neighborhood.

You can try getting a UPS with AVR to combat some of these inconsistencies. If you find the UPS is activating with some consistency, it'd be worth a call to the power company and/or property owner to see if it can be sort out.

I have an older fairly basic CyberPower UPS (I think an older version of this one) and I was surprised how frequently it has activated over the years (usually a couple times a month) even when the power appeared to be totally normal. Lights, other electronics, etc would all remain on, but the UPS's AVR would kick in to counter fluctuations in power.

As I understand, "Pure Sinewave" UPS are better (e.g., not the one I have). You'll have to do some research.

You should also run DISM and SFC to repair any Windows core files if needed since you're getting crashes again: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

0 Likes

Hello, thank you for the quick reply. An UPS also crossed my mind, but I want to eliminate as much as possible before I throw more money at it. Coyld it be that a 850MW power supply is just too demanding? but then why doesnt the issue appear outside of being under stress?

Ive turned off XMP, but it happened again. Same situation; just on desktop, firefox and chrome open for twitch and some browsing, discord and steam/ubisoft connect on the background. In fact, I had tried some benchmarks with some games to see if it would trigger a crash and to monitor temps (hence I had HW info open).

I first notice twitch on chrome stopping/buffering and being unresponsive, and gradually other programs too. The taskbar clock had halted at 11.01PM, couldnt select anything anymore (but could move the mouse)and then after 5 minutes, black screen crash and reboot

CPU was not under load, and at 47.3C when it froze.

I checked the event logger, but nothing 10m before 11.01PM

Any ideas?

I'll try the repair files tomorrow.

(oh btw, every time i post it says something about invalid html and i have to retry...)

0 Likes

It's a tough one.

The common factor between the 2 systems is the 7800 XT. Have you tried using an older version of the drivers? I had to install an older version, 23.12.1 with my RX 6800 for good stability. If you decide to try this, be sure to uninstall current drivers with DDU / AMD Cleanup Utility first.

By the way, is it the same 7800 XT from the old system or did you buy a new one?

I guess in theory it could be the PSU, but again, it's happened across 2 PCs. If you don't want to buy another PSU, you might be able to take it back to the shop you bought it at and see if they have a higher power one you could test with. Otherwise, stepping up to 1000W could be a next step.

In your original post, you mentioned: "Ive changed one thing in the BIOS, power loading from auto to enabled, which seems to have reduced the amounts of freezes/reboots, but it still happens on an average of once a day." I'm not familiar with this setting, but I'd recommend leaving it on auto while testing -- the idea being testing as close to stock as possible to reduce variables.

Beyond UPS and PSU, I'm not seeing any other options here.

0 Likes

I couldnt get AMD cleanup to work, it just gave me a xml file with no info in it. So I installed DDU. But which settings should I apply? And how to install the old drivers without them getting overwritten?

DDU settings.png

Its a completly new build yes, no old parts used. This is the definition of power loading:

Power loading allows the board to force a dummy load on to the PSU when its in a low power state to prevent the PSU from shutting off through its low load protection. You shouldn't need to enable this unless your PSU is randomly shutting off.

It crashed less when I enabled it, hence I left it on so far. But it hasnt eliminated it.

One thing I noticed, I was randomly doing a dxdiag, and in display devices it said "microsoft basic display adapter"? (apparently I cant add a file, otherwise id add the xml file from the amd cleanup as well)

EDIT: AMD cleanuptool must have done something as the system didnt recognise the GFX card anymore. Ddid a system restore to yesterday. i guess I should use DDU?

0 Likes