cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

jamester0722
Adept I

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X and Radeon RX 7600 XT Stutter

Hey everyone! I am new to building my own PC (I used to always build my computer, but that was back in the early 2000's and a lot have changed since then) and decided to finally use the money I'd been saving and build something this past February. But I have run into an issue and have no idea how to fix it. Every game I play has this odd micro stuttering issue. Here is a clip of what it looks like: https://youtu.be/6sVEveAHGuM

Here are the parts of my PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X Raphael AM5 4.5GHz 8-Core (with DeepCool AK400 Performance CPU Cooler for cooling)

MSI B650-P PRO WiFi AMD AM5 ATX Motherboard

G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000

ASRock AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT Challenger Overclocked Dual Fan 16GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 GPUU

PowerSpec 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Semi-Modular Power Supply

At this point I feel like I have tried everything under the sun. Updated the GPU, CPU chipset, and Motherboard BIOS (I even went back and ran DDU to fully uninstall all drivers and reinstall the GPU drivers again), reset my shader cache multiple times, I even exchanged my monitor for a new one (originally thinking that was the issue). I have taken out and reseated the GPU and RAM to make sure it is fully in, run Windows repair to fix any corrupt files, and run Memory Diagnostic to see if it's a memory issue, but it's all been coming back clean. I have been wondering if it's because the power supply I purchased only has 1 PCI-e cable coming off instead of 2, so I have a daisy chain cable going into the two slots on my GPU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
17 Replies
432hz
Adept III

Hello,

1. Did the stutters start after a particular GPU driver version update or have you always experienced them? If they started after a particular driver update, try clean installing an older version.
  2. Have you looked into fTPM stutters? You would need to disable fTPM in BIOS, however Win11 may rely on this for Secure Boot. You will have to research.
  3. Disabled Windows Hardware-Accelerated GPU scheduling?
  4. Disabled Resizable BAR / Above 4G Decoding / SAM / Smart-Access Memory?
  5. Running RAM stock rather than with EXPO / XMP enabled?
  6. Disabling any tuning in Ryzen Master?
  7. Using video port on your GPU rather than mobo?
  8. Windows Game Mode on?
  9. CSM disabled?

Powering the GPU with separate cables rather than daisy chaining is ideal, but I'd try some of the above before buying a new PSU. If you do decide to get a new PSU, you may wish to refer to this tier list: https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

0 Likes

Thanks for the assistance! I really do appreciate it. Here are a few answers to your questions:

1) I didn't notice the stutter at first. I played through all of Spider-man on Steam with a gamepad. I didn't really notice it until 1) I started using a mouse to play certain games (since the movement is faster) and 2) I tried to play some older games I purchased during the Steam sale (Borderlands, Outer Worlds, The Cave, Fallout 4, etc).

2) I am not sure where to find and turn off fTPM in the BIOS. I've looked, but I am unfamiliar on what it may be called or where to find it.

3) I have tried disabling and enabling Windows Hardware acceleration, but no change is noticed

4) I've tried with resize bar on and off, but no change is noticed

5) I've tried RAM at preset frequencies and EXPO

6) I've never used Ryzen Master, so I am unsure of how to disable it. (I did discover that it is installed. It must have come when installed AMD Adrenalin)

7) I've tried using my GPU display port and CPU display port. They both seem to have the stuttering issue.

I've tried game mode on and off. No change

9) I am not sure what CSM is or how to disable it

Here is something else of note that it has started doing. During all of these enables/disables and file installs, I need to reset the computer. However, every time I reset now, everything shuts down (monitor turns off, computer stops, etc), but it doesn't start back up again. Along with this, the power light on the front of my case stays on and a small white light on the motherboard comes on (it says VGA really small next to it). The only way I can finish the reset is to hold down the power button until it shuts off entirely and press the power button again to turn things back on. Could this be a clue to my issue? Or am I just creating more problems for myself?

Would a full Windows reinstall fix any of this?

0 Likes

Sure thing, happy to try to help.

Overall, I'd recommend starting with everything on default settings and see if the issue persists.

If you can't complete a restart your pc, that's the first thing to address. I would start with a CMOS reset. This will reset the BIOS to default settings. Refer to your manual for the proper steps and precautions.

Note that after resetting your CMOS, your mobo will likely need to "train" the RAM and other components, which can take a few minutes. During this time your pc may appear to reboot. Give it some time to complete the boot / training process.

Your mobo and BIOS manuals (please confirm these are accurate before following them):

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/PROB650-PWIFI.pdf

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/AMDAM5BIOS.pdf

I recommend using DisplayPort during this process as HDMI can have compatibility issues with Windows Safe Mode.

When I reset the CMOS, will I need to reinstall the latest BIOS drivers? Will I need to reinstall any of my MSI Center or AMD Adrenalin software? I just want to make sure I'm not missing any steps.

So, I reset the CMOS. My computer is starting WAY faster now. However, it still gets stuck on resets. Is there a way where I can back to an older version of the Motherboard BIOS? It didn't start happening until I updated the BIOS. Would a fresh Windows install help with any of this? Just trying to figure out next steps.

You should be able to downgrade your mobo BIOS using the M-Flash functionality outlined on your mobo's drivers page here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B650-P-WIFI/support (confirm this is the correct page before download anything).

You may want to check what version of BIOS you currently have installed and try re-flashing the most recent non-beta version of the BIOS before trying a downgrade. According to that page, the most recent non-beta version is 7D78v1C from Feb 2024.

If you do decide to downgrade, make sure to use a non-beta version. I highlighted the next-most recent non-beta BIOS in the screenshot. 7D78v1A from December of 2023.

You can certainly try a fresh install of Windows, but since you mentioned this reboot issue started after a BIOS update, I would guess this particular issue is related to the BIOS update and not necessarily Windows.

amd-mobo-bios.PNG

So... Now I'm nervous I killed my computer. Not sure what to do. I downloaded the new BIOS. I plugged it into the USB that says Flash BIOS on it. I then hit the Flash BIOS button (I tried this way this time instead on the software to see if that would do something different). From the videos I watched online, lights are supposed to be flashing. In this case, the FLASHB1 light on my motherboard is just solid. I'm afraid to unplug or turn anything off. Am I in trouble?

1000002002.jpg

0 Likes

UPDATE: So, I powered down and let it sit for a bit. Good news: I am now writing this from my PC. However, still not sure what to do about my BIOS issue (it still locks up whenever I try to do a reset from my desktop).

0 Likes

Glad your board is ok.

Typically you should never reboot / shutdown during a BIOS flash. This is one of the ways to brick your mobo. Thankfully it seems like your mobo may have a fail-safe method with the Flash BIOS button.

M-Flash (links from your mobo's page)

Flash BIOS Button

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

• Takes ~5 minutes to complete the flash
  • Must rename file to MSI.ROM
  • USB must be FAT32
  • USB must be USB 2.0 (users commented this)
  • Read the comments to see other tips.

---

Personally, I would:

1. Reflash the BIOS to the latest non-beta version and see if the issue persists. I personally wouldn't be comfortable running the PC with the BIOS flash process you described above (e.g. shutting down halfway through) nor would I be confident the BIOS flash was applied correctly.
  2. If the issue persists, reflash the BIOS to the 2nd most recent non-beta version and see if the issue persists.
  3. If the issue persists, try a clean install of Windows.
0 Likes
HeyDoeAUD
Adept III

Dude.  are you playing on a wireless mouse?

0 Likes

Just saying i watched that video that looks like wireless mouse stutter.  make sure your receiver is close as possible to mouse or plug mouse in directly to PC and see if it stops.

Can also happen with a cheap or faulty wired mouse.  But it looks like wireless mouse stutter to me.  I have experienced this several times. 

I am using a wired mouse. Also, the stuttering still happens when I run in a straight line, but run over bumpy terrain in game. It was just easier to show with mouse movement for the video.

HeyDoeAUD
Adept III

Do you have another mouse to test?

0 Likes

good to eliminate a simple issue.  if it is the mouse look at the surface your on (use a mousepad) or cleaning your IR laser and surface

0 Likes

I'll definitely check it out! I have a few older mice lying around. I can try another and see if the issue persists.

432hz
Adept III

Here's a potential solution of disabling MPO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw_xv1Id6UM

0 Likes