cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gs64
Adept I

Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT - Freezing or Seizing up in Windows and Games

GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT (bios switch in middle position)

CPU: 2700

MOBO: Gigabyte b350-ds3h

RAM: 16gb 3200

STORAGE: Samsung 1TB SSD

PSU: 650W Gold (forget manufacturer, it's a solid brand though)

Examples of the issue: Any windows that are open will start to slow down, will either not minimize, or minimized windows won't pop back up; can't bring up Start or Search; unable to switch between or close tabs in Chrome; when playing a game you'll notice some assets aren't loaded in. After I notice all of these occurrences, it's only a matter of time until I can't interact with anything, and/or my mouse freezes with the picture. This is when I usually have to manually reset my PC (maybe 1/30 times this has happened will the PC become responsive again).

I've found solutions to this problem in the past, and I myself have had this issue on and off ever since I got the card in early 2020. However, it's been happening a lot more as of late (2-5 times a day). My usual fix is realizing I have either a Windows or AMD Driver update to complete, and after that the issue would stop (or, if it would happen, it would be like 1, maybe times a month if at all). Today, I uninstalled my drivers using AMD Cleanup Tool in Safe mode, then manually selected the latest WHQL driver for re-installation. It unfortunately hasn't worked and has crashed 3 times since doing so.

Any ideas on this? Should I rollback to a different driver, try DDU instead? Am I missing something here?

Thank you for your time!

0 Likes
1 Solution
gs64
Adept I

Well it's been about half of a week, and I think I found a solution. I ended up DDU'ing the AMD drivers once more, and then swapped in my old 1050Ti I had before the 5700 XT, and...

No crashes whatsoever!

I think I found the unfortunate solution to the problem, and that is that AMD cards just aren't as solid a product as I thought. After I got it in April 2020, this problem would occur every so often. I just figured it was the little price to pay with a bank/buck type of product. As time went on, it's clear it's not a bug, but a feature. I am very disappointed in my AMD GPU experience. On top of these freezes, I always felt like the card ran super hot -- even with paying attention to cooling and running a 'factory' undervolt on it most of the time.

It's a shame seeing several other AMD GPUs having similar issues on these forums, and it seems every solution ended up being going back to team green. I can't recommend their GPU line anymore, however I haven't ever had a hitch with my 2700, and I still will be staying team red for that component in the future.

Be well, and buyer beware if you bought an AMD GPU and ran into this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
gs64
Adept I

Update:

-I used DDU to remove everything the other day, then reinstalled an older driver from August (my PC didn't crash once between August-Mid November. It still crashed.

-Turned the BIOS switch from Silent to Performance. Still crashing.

-Ended up updating to the driver from November 3rd, and after I did that, noticed there was another driver released yesterday (December 5th). However, this morning, my PC froze again.

I'm at a loss for this problem. I don't get black screens, BSODs, or automatic shutdowns/restarts, so I don't think it's something related to other hardware. I am not an expert. If anyone could please chime in on this I'd be very grateful. 

Have a good day!

0 Likes
gs64
Adept I

Well it's been about half of a week, and I think I found a solution. I ended up DDU'ing the AMD drivers once more, and then swapped in my old 1050Ti I had before the 5700 XT, and...

No crashes whatsoever!

I think I found the unfortunate solution to the problem, and that is that AMD cards just aren't as solid a product as I thought. After I got it in April 2020, this problem would occur every so often. I just figured it was the little price to pay with a bank/buck type of product. As time went on, it's clear it's not a bug, but a feature. I am very disappointed in my AMD GPU experience. On top of these freezes, I always felt like the card ran super hot -- even with paying attention to cooling and running a 'factory' undervolt on it most of the time.

It's a shame seeing several other AMD GPUs having similar issues on these forums, and it seems every solution ended up being going back to team green. I can't recommend their GPU line anymore, however I haven't ever had a hitch with my 2700, and I still will be staying team red for that component in the future.

Be well, and buyer beware if you bought an AMD GPU and ran into this issue.

0 Likes