cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Vktr
Adept I

Low Performance and Bad 1% Low FPS in Fortnite

I primarily play Fortnite Battle Royale and I've had issues with performance and getting the game to run stable on the rendering mode "Lower Graphical Fidelity". It is meant to lighten the load on my system and provide lower input delay and better fps however quite the opposite happens. Whether I am playing a creative map or the Battle Royale gamemode, I have frequent FPS drops when I glide into the map or look at something far away. I have higher peak fps on Performance Rendering mode compared to DX12 but it is not as stable. I commonly have 144 FPS and sudden drops down to 60 and sometimes even 40 FPS. The main issue with this is how much it happens and how sudden the drops are. My 1% lows are terrible, the game feels alright when I'm in a closed area but when the map opens up and I have lots of things in view my FPS drops.

System Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x - stock wraith prism cooler
ASUS TUF Gaming X570- Plus Wifi
32 GB G.Skills DDR4 3200MHz RAM
RX 5600 XT Sapphire Pulse OC

In theory everything should be fine to run a mode which gives me better performance but my system performs better on DX12. People have told me to just stick on DX12 but there should be no reason Performance Mode doesn't work as it clearly feels better and has lower input delay.

I hope I've provided enough info, if not, please reply and try to help and ask me any further questions.
-I use the most recent AMD drivers through Adrenalin but this has been an ongoing issue for me since I built my computer almost 3 years ago.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ThreeDee
Paragon

What make/model PSU are you running?

Things to do/check if you want .. might help, might not

Make sure your game(s) are installed on an SSD

Make sure your RAM is actually running at 3200 (Task Manager>Performance>Memory)

Make sure your BIOS is up to date on your motherboard

Make sure you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com

Run DDU and remove all past/present GPU drivers that have ever been installed on this install of Windows .. reboot . .and THEN install the latest GPU drivers from AMD.com

Check your CPU/GPU temps 

Make sure you have good airflow thru your case (you have to keep your VRM's and RAM cool too)

Make sure your SSD's Firmware are up to date (especially if you are running Samsung drives)

IF you are running wireless .. run wired if you can .. or at least go to Intel's site and install the latest drivers for your wireless card/adapter

Maybe look into getting a better cooler for your CPU .. the Wraith cooler is OK, but .. throw something like a Deepcool AK620 on there and then your golden

IF you are running any of ASUS's crate software or similar .. disable it and see if system performs better

IF you are running any AV other than the free built in Windows Defender .. uninstall it and see if system performs better (Free Windows Defender + Free OpenDNS account using their DNS servers + Free Ublock Origin in your browser(s) = Great protection and uses low system resources for FREE)

ThreeDee PC specs

View solution in original post

12 Replies
petosiris
Miniboss

It sounds like your CPU can only get 256 MB from V-RAM per fetch. Try to enable AMD's SAM by enabling ...

Above 4G Decoding and 
Re-Size BAR Support 

... in BIOS, which will allow the CPU to fetch more data from V-RAM, thereby fixing this bottleneck.

If this doesn't solve your problem then it doesn't hurt to enable these settings anyway.

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
0 Likes

Sadly @petosiris this didn't fix my issue. I enabled AMD's SAM a few weeks ago as i finally figured out how to do it and it didn't help much of anything. Thanks for the input though.

Sure, it was a shot from the hip anyway.  I don't know what type of disk you have, but maybe it helps installing a fast(er) SSD drive, in case there are many assets loading from disk in the game and your current drive is a bottleneck.  🤷‍

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
0 Likes

I have an Inland Premium NVME SSD from MicroCenter.  Its a 512 GB drive and i have a 2TB HDD 7200 RPm for all my other things. Fortnite and my main system os and a few other important games or programs are on the SSD. I have 153 GB remaining on the SSD. I really think this is an optimization issue from AMD and Epics side and if they could acknowledge it and provide some info it would be great. I cant comprehend why my system for 3 years, which when i built it was a higher end mid range machine cant run a game on a lower graphical mode. I have invested time into using tweaks and optimizing my os and the game yet it still will not work. If you have any other ideas please let me know @petosiris 

It may be hardware related, as you say.  I don't know.  To rule out the hardware factor you should try other GPUs, RAM, etc. temporarily, if you can find/borrow the parts you need for testing this.

I'd also test the hardware with stress test software, like Prime95 for CPU and RAM if I were you. And similar tests for thew GPU.

Also look at the temps for GPU, CPU and SSDs.  Maybe the SSD thermal throttles because of high temps?

Do you run other programs in your PC at the same time as Fortnite?  I'm thinking of programs that may take resources from the game and slow it down.

Also, normally I'd suspect the RAM going to the roof and Windows starting to swap in and out of disk cache, but since you have 32 GB RAM I don't think this is the issue.  I've not played Fortnite myself so I don't know how much RAM it can use in the extreme situations, but I'd be surpriced if your 32 GB was tight for this game.  However, the places in the game where you see the game slow down tells me that something happens during high loads.

Best,
0 Likes

Sorry it took me a while to respond. I do run discord or maybe youtube or a radio station in the background for music. They really dont use many resources on my pc. My GPU is typically at 50-60 Celsius and my CPU is at around 55-60 Celsius. I dont know how to check my SSD temps. I am not really able to test other parts however I am debating purchasing a new gpu, possibly an RTX 3060 or so, or an AMD RX 6700xt. If any other good gpus come out in my $300-$400 price range I may look into them. Thats what I can tell you.

@petosiris I used what @ThreeDee said. I updated chipset drivers and used DDU. I am testing the game with performance mode now and I will say, its the best its been. My 1% lows seem to be much healthier and they dont happen as frequently however I still have poor performance looking at large areas with lots of assets or things. There is an in-game POI called MegaCity which gets me around 70 FPS while flying looking at it. If i land and play inside it, I get 144 FPS looking at walls and inside buildings but when i look at distant buildings and try to shoot players, it drops to 80-100 FPS. I am looking into firmware on my SSD but i dont think Inland Premium SSDs have updatable firmware or software. I will continue to mess with things. I didnt mean to mark his post as a solution but I assume you can still try to help.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

What make/model PSU are you running?

Things to do/check if you want .. might help, might not

Make sure your game(s) are installed on an SSD

Make sure your RAM is actually running at 3200 (Task Manager>Performance>Memory)

Make sure your BIOS is up to date on your motherboard

Make sure you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com

Run DDU and remove all past/present GPU drivers that have ever been installed on this install of Windows .. reboot . .and THEN install the latest GPU drivers from AMD.com

Check your CPU/GPU temps 

Make sure you have good airflow thru your case (you have to keep your VRM's and RAM cool too)

Make sure your SSD's Firmware are up to date (especially if you are running Samsung drives)

IF you are running wireless .. run wired if you can .. or at least go to Intel's site and install the latest drivers for your wireless card/adapter

Maybe look into getting a better cooler for your CPU .. the Wraith cooler is OK, but .. throw something like a Deepcool AK620 on there and then your golden

IF you are running any of ASUS's crate software or similar .. disable it and see if system performs better

IF you are running any AV other than the free built in Windows Defender .. uninstall it and see if system performs better (Free Windows Defender + Free OpenDNS account using their DNS servers + Free Ublock Origin in your browser(s) = Great protection and uses low system resources for FREE)

ThreeDee PC specs
Isdate
Journeyman III

Я бы хотел узнать, смогли вы исправить эту ошыбку или нет?

0 Likes

@Isdate wrote:

Я бы хотел узнать, смогли вы исправить эту ошыбку или нет?

English: "I'd like to know if you've been able to fix it or not?"

@Isdate, please only post english text in this forum.

Best,
0 Likes

I have not been able to fix it… I accidentally marked the reply as a solution however the problem persists. I am thinking about simply buying a new gpu since I’ve had my pc for 3 years now with no upgrade to performance. And with the new season coming possibly being OG season 5, the performance might be better from here on out if the new team at Epic puts out good updates.

0 Likes

I bought a rx 6700 xt and have the same problem rather go for nvidia.

0 Likes