Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ForIdent
Adept II

Feedback to AMD on 7900 XTX

Hello everyone,

Big rant against AMD! Since purchasing an Asus TUF 7900XTX OC, I haven't gone 2-3 months without having a problem! (I specify the games and the config below.)
Repeated pilot crashes from the start, boring responses from AMD, no communication on the graphics card's problems, I bitterly regret my €1300 purchase!
I wanted to invest in a product powerful enough to have peace of mind and I haven't had peace of mind since purchasing it!

At the end of July my card often crashes on FH5 etc. until I limit my FPS to 144, at the frequency of my monitor.
Everything is going well until September, and again, crashes galore.
At the beginning of September I send my card to the store for analysis: amazement, synthetic tests that don't even test the CG drivers! What after-sales service........ LDLC boutique (France)
Since a complete reinstallation of Windows between September and October, no more bugs, FH5, Starfield, etc...

And there, at the release of The Finals, rant, the game literally crashes! My GPU is faulty, is this not possible?
Graphics driver crash, Windows disables the driver and uses a generic driver.
I restart, reactivate the driver, restart and it works again, Adrenalin offers to send a report... I always send them, without ever responding leaving my email.
I restart The Finals to test a third time, I stay in the game menu, literally crash without playing! Good.
Later in the evening with Age of Empires Online, in the background, then while watching a YouTube video on Firefox, graphics driver crash! UNTHINKABLE!

The next day I asked to return my graphics card! I will wait. 1300€! 1300€! Absurd! I can't really afford another GPU...

I tested with the IGPU and a 1060, The Finals works correctly despite terrible performance! The IGPU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fed up fed up with AMD. No communication.

What I have already tested:
- Reinstall Windows
- Chipset update
- Updating graphics drivers
- BIOS update
- Cleanly reinstall graphics drivers with amdcleanuputility
- Disable EXPO
- Disable Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO)
- Set the maximum FPS via Adrenalin to 144 fps

Setup:
R7 7700
AIO Corsair h150i
Asus Strix B650E-F
2x16GB RAM Corsair 4800Mhz (6000Mhz EXPO)
Asus TUF 7900 XTX OC (performance mode) [NON OC]
Asus Strix 850W Gold PSU
Monitor 1: DisplayPort 1: 1080p @ 144hz AOC C24G1
Monitor 1: DisplayPort 2: 1080p @ 75hz iiyama

Crash:
The Finals (open beta October 2023)
Xdefiant (beta)
Forza Horizon 5 (>144fps)
Forza Horizon 4 (>144fps)

No crashes:
The Finals (beta closed in June)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (10am)
Cyberpunk2077 (30h)
Forza Motosport (2023)
Cities Skylines 2
Starfield (100h)
Grounded (200h July-August)
Rainbow Six Siege
Age of Empires Online
Cities Skylines 1
BeamNG
Minecraft Java
LEGO Star Wars

1 Solution
ForIdent
Adept II

Subject resolved

With update 23.12.1, no more crashes regarding hardware acceleration which was poorly supported with Discord and caused games to crash.

Second point, the 3x8pin power cablemod was defective. Support told me that they fixed the problem and an RMA was in progress. The PSU moose are ok.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
Chrissy8283
Adept II

I'm also not that Happy with the Performance of my rig with 7900 XTX.

I have 450% more FPS than before (GTX 1060). Yes that's a good gain, but I feel like the Problems, Bugs + Screen-Flickerings increased by 450% too!!

MY PC:

- CPU: Intel Core i7 13700kf
- RAM: 2x G.Skill Trident Z5 16GB DDR5 5800MHZ RGB
- CPU-AIO: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 with 3x Arctic P12 White A-RG
- Case-Fans: 4x Arctic P14 White A-RGB
- Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Lite White
- Mainboard: Gigabyte Gaming X AX Z790
- GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming RX 7900 XTX OC
- Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO + 2TB Lexar NM 610
- PSU: MSI MPG A750GF (750W)
- Monitors: 2x Gigabyte G27Q (1440p + 144hz via Displayport)

I experienced several issues sofar:

Driver Issues

- AMD Adrenaline Software randomly closes
- AMD Adrenaline Software randomly get's "unresponsive" and needs to be stopped via task-end
- Star Field crashed randomly when you have Radeon Super Resolution / Radeon Boost / Radeon CHill / Radeon Image Sharpening on. (Seems to be fixed with Beta Drivers 20.30.01.02 AFMF Release)
- ^^ also applies to some other games

Screen Issues:

- Gray Bar flickering at Games which are not on DX-12 (DX-11 / e.g. Fortnite Performance Mode) [I get gray bars flickering all over the screen, similar to old Monitors when they don't have a good signal to GPU]
- Frame-gen- & input-delay is quite big. (8-20ms in fps games, with my gtx 1060 it was always <5ms)
-After long usage (5hrs+) I white screen bar flickering on desktop base [Like gray bar flickering, but the bars are white]
-Recording via Radeon Record & Stream (on 1440p, 50mbps bitrate, aka Very High Res settings and AV1 encoding) works, but quality is way worse than same settings with OBS ?!?
- When you tab out of a Fullscreen Game, the second monitor goes blank for 1-3 Seconds

Tuning / Hardware Issues:

-If I undervolt by 0.05mV my GPU crashes on load (Black Screen > Driver Timeout)
-If I limit the Watts (-10%) my GPU crashes on app starts (Black Screen > Driver Timeout)
-If i do both, I even get Blue Screen sometimes
-AMD Adrenalin Software doesn't track GPU Fan's speed (keeps saying 0% tho they are running)
-Performance Tuning Options reset with every boot up

I mean that's GPU dependent, but if i OC with a different way than through adrenaline, it's "easier"

I know in the past the "latest" releases from amd gpus, always had massive driver issues. And the drivers aren't fully done yet. But still working on BETA Features and not fixing Pretty important things is pretty annoying.

Please AMD do something!!

Even with nvidia i feel it's best to limit using all those special features and keep it to the simple ones. Your PSU is the absolute minimum for 7900 xtx, and i am surprised it works. I have tried all those special features that nvidia and amd tout and it always seems like there will be a problem in some game.

I only use chill + freesync. I have found that it's best to use chill as a frame limiter, and set it to -3 fps that monitor max so 141 in your case. Then I use vsync option on in games. That's the smoothest with no flicker pairing that i have found. All the other options had some issue. Your monitor does have a somewhat high min range value at 48.

I have noticed that leaving steam client open causes a lot of my desktop flickering. This happened with nvidia too. Turning off hardware acceleration or whatever happen a lot with that, and i left hardware decoding turned on. but yea, steam client causes a lot of issues for me.

I have given up on any OC undervolt, not worth the instability, and it really didn't change power usage that much in the end. I tried a -100mv undervolt, and it was stable for the most part, but then i would get a crash or two now and then does not happen without undervolt.

0 Likes
ForIdent
Adept II

A little look back at my adventure. The after-sales service found nothing despite their test.
I got my card back on 11/13/2023 and I did several things that day:

- Test 3DMark Time Spy Extreme
- Ultra Fire Strike
- Forza Horizon 5
-Forza Motorsport (2023)
Streaming for 5 hours:
- Minecraft
- Cities Skylines 2

When I stopped the stream + closed the city skylines 2 game, the crash happened.

Today I'm going to try something else:
- Disable FreeSync on my first screen. On the second it is already disabled.
- Change some EnableUlps keys in the registry. (Ultra low power state)

AMD Support recommends that I reinstall Windows. Well, after the 5th time I'm just going to avoid...

0 Likes
Romaine
Adept I

Wow I have been going through the same issues as everyone here and was on my last day eligible for return when I got fed up enough to want to return it. I just sent it in the post today and feel badly for everyone that can't.

What a shame the product seems like such a bang for buck compared to the 4090/4080 but I'm right back to NVIDIA after switching to AMD for the first time.

It really sucks I tried every single fix I see what you guys tried too, similar specs.

Crash every match in COD MW3

Unfortunately, if the crashes continue, I will request reimbursement for a hidden defect with their cheap driver. You did well, it kills me to know that from one hour to the next I can crash randomly.

0 Likes

Yeah at this point the only real explanation is AMD driver software being the issue because everything else seemed stable in my testing otherwise.

The worst part was thinking finally it was done crashing and then boom still crashed

0 Likes

I didn't specify but I have cablemods for the power supply. I put those back in my original power supply, no crashes yet, it's too early to tell. Have you also had cable mods?

0 Likes
ForIdent
Adept II

I have been testing for 2 days the modification of the ULPS register, a problem apparently known to AMD since the 6000 series. If people also have problems, try.

Edit: I just crashed just after closing OBS Studio + Forza Horizon 5 after 5h30 of streaming gameplay.

0 Likes
ForIdent
Adept II

I'm literally at the bottom of the hole...

- Reinstall Windows 11, I now have freezes...
- Disable Copilot, still freezes

And the best part is no more error events are logged in the event viewer.

1 hour of OCCT Power, no problem, 3DMark, no problem. On the other hand, Adrenalin which resets the ventilation parameters. That of the fps/temperature overlay does not change.

0 Likes
iafbt
Adept I

ok, this is gonna sound kinda dumb; but when I was having all sorts of just horrendous crashing issues with my old RX470, it would constantly come up as GPU/driver crashes. then I was planning to upgrade, I swapped my power supply for something beefier and all my crashes instantly stopped. all my year(s) worth of troubleshooting and workarounds was just an intermittently wonky PSU. I don't know if you have any means of testing a different unit, but definitely try and at least borrow something in the 1kw range and see if that helps.

3950x, 6800xt. sempron fi
0 Likes

I was able to sometimes play more than 7 hours this summer on Grounde without problem, the same in September on Starfield. Until this day. I have a new Asus Strix 850W Gold power supply, works perfectly under OCCT power max CPU+GPU. Same for 3DMark. I can't afford a bunch of equipment for that. There would be a store to test your equipment, but the waiting time is at least 4 weeks minimum...

0 Likes
ForIdent
Adept II

""Good news !"" ?

I deactivated the hardware acceleration of Discord, and I have no more crashes since returning the computer on Monday December 4th.

With the new graphics driver 23.12.1, AMD has added the use of hardware acceleration at the OS and program level. Is this the end of your worries?

Before deactivating the option on Discord, I had my first crash on Forza Horizon 5 in a very short time, without blackscreen, just a windows return.

Since then (and for now) no more crashes when playing Cities Skylines 2, Starfield, Forza Horizon 5.

To be continued within 2-3 months.

0 Likes
ForIdent
Adept II

Subject resolved

With update 23.12.1, no more crashes regarding hardware acceleration which was poorly supported with Discord and caused games to crash.

Second point, the 3x8pin power cablemod was defective. Support told me that they fixed the problem and an RMA was in progress. The PSU moose are ok.

0 Likes
Jimmyhardin61
Journeyman III

Just some things. 

1. You need a better PSU for the 7900xtx. 750 isn't ok. You need an 850 minimum and some models even recommend a 1000w

2. ALWAYS start with a DDU of the graphics drivers before complaining about stuff crashing and everything.  Follow the instructions and do it right! 

3. Couldn't imagine paying over a grand for a graphics card to play on a 144hz 1080p monitor.

4. Always use 3 independent PCIE cables for a 3 connector GPU. Just for others to think about. 

0 Likes