cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

blumaus
Adept I

CRASHING WITH WORLD OF WARCRAFT

Black screen, driver crashes, 10 seconds later it takes me to desktop. You've all heard this already. What an insane driver issue. Literally nothing fixes this permamently, everything is a temporary fix.

Heck even reinstalling windows and using base drivers doesn't work. Please fix this AMD, it is abysmally depressing that I've had to tell my guild mates to never touch an AMD card again.

45 Replies
blumaus
Adept I

At this point I’m trying to duplicate the issue. It is indeed random, however here are some hot spots where crashing seems to be consistent. I have never crashed in the Raid as of writing this. I have also never experienced crashes prior to 10.2.

As of writing this, after the first crash, no crashes will happen for the remainder of that Instance. If I do dungeons back to back (e.g. DOTI —> BRH) I will experience a unique crash in that new dungeon (same play session).

Open World - Valdrakken. Standing AFK by fountain, 1 crash, has never replicated.

Dungeons: not listed = never crash

• Dawn of The Infinites - Guaranteed Crash. Most often in the “Open Sandy Zones”, this goes for both halves of the dungeon. This crash never occured during 10.1.7.
  • Black Rook Hold: Before first boss, and during small goblin area before final staircase. I also had an event occur in BRH that caused a total driver failure and PC crash.
  • Everbloom - After first boss or turning “right” after the start of the dungeon, narrow hallway area before second boss.
  • Throne of Tides - It has happened twice, can’t recall area, think it was one of the two “straight” hallways.

My PC is fine, components are fine, drivers are updated, fresh install, etc. I can play Cyperpunk on Ultra for 7+ hours straight, same with Huntshowdown (which has a jank engien btw). I can stress test the PC for multiple hours. There is NO OC present on my PC outside my EXPO/XMP profile (yes I’ve tried disabling this). Nothing works.

I crash every single time in the Manifested Timeways boss room. (Second boss of Galikrond Fall) , I've also had a crash in Everbloom near the spinning guys 

0 Likes
Phe
Journeyman III

Just wanted to chime in and say I've also been experiencing driver crashes in World of Warcraft. It's happened in both retail and classic for me but lately only retail. The screen will completely lock up and like you said, after 10 seconds or so it will go black and sometimes completely crash to desktop and other times recover after a short wait. This was a HUGE problem for me while playing classic hardcore as you can imagine, where one timeout can lead to death and loss of character. For me the crashes seem to happen more often while I'm running around the open world, and not while in dungeons. I am running no OC profiles for my CPU or GPU and memory is running at stock settings as well.

CPU: Ryzen 7 7700X
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX
Current Graphics Driver: 23.11.1

0 Likes

we're screwed bro, no joke. There's absolutely nothing we can do unless AMD fixes this.

0 Likes
Spagoose
Journeyman III

Similar issue, I only play WOW classic though and I get these random crashes except my pc reboots completely no buffering and coming back up like you guys describe, every time my pc black screens and completely reboots. I've had this GPU for a few months now and had only started having this issue when I reinstalled windows 10. 

0 Likes
pezzy
Adept I

A suggestion to try.

Use DX12, but first open AMD Software: Adrenaline Edition.
Select Gaming from the top options, select Games under the sub-options.
Find the World of Warcraft version you play and left click on it. Scroll down and click on "Advanced". Scroll down further and look for Surface Format Optimization. Disable it.

Start the game normally under DX12. Pump up the settings to 10/Ultra. See how it goes.

0 Likes

tried that, it doesnt solve it

0 Likes
sascatuan
Journeyman III

I have also been experiencing this driver crash issue since World of warcraft patch 10.1.5. For many months now the driver crashes while only using DX 12, happens randomly on any driver version i have tested in the past year.

CPU: Ryzen 7 7700X
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB
GPU: XFX 7900 XTX
Current Graphics Driver: 23.12.1

0 Likes
BeRad
Journeyman III

Having the same problem here

+1

Same problem here

farske
Adept II

I am facing this issue.

I moved to DX11 to get it running.

But still in DX11 randomly it will have a driver timeout and the game freezes, goes black, discord crashes and It returns.

It has CTD once from WoW.

I also have white light lines flickering at the bottom of the screen, like a large inch and a half band flashing past.

I've had nothing but problems with this card.

0 Likes
__Quixx
Journeyman III

Created a account just to say I am also having this issue.

I have tried everything I possibly could and decided to google the specific issue not knowing it was WoW related but here we are. I honestly thought it was Internet Browser related but I'm saddened and glad that others are having the same issue.

I've noticed with mine that it is when I move my camera quickly (still very random and can't replicate it) from front to back for example so its like the GPU gets a little stress (running RX 7900 XT so this should not be an issue) and just dies.

Has anyone tried reloading Windows from scratch? That was my next step.

AMD GIVE US SOMETHING PLEASE

bimbom
Adept II

same with WoW Retail. Occured in BRH during an M+ run and Mythic Raid during Smolderon. Seems random.

Driver will crash screens to black. Driver restarts to desktop, program eventually loads back in. I digress, but theres also an issue loading into the WoW client sometimes where itll hang.  You have to give it a couple minutes and eventually the client starts.

What an absolute mess.

7900XT, 5800X, 64GB 3600C18, Driver 23.12.1

0 Likes
farske
Adept II

I formatted.

Installed fresh windows then installed 23.8.1

No crashes yet in 2 days of about 8 hours play.

0 Likes
__Quixx
Journeyman III

Running Directx11 resolved issue for me thankfully. Doesn't look like it fixed for others though...

0 Likes
Molian
Journeyman III

I have RX 6950 XT OC Formula 16GB. I had a lot of issues, mostly that freeze and then reboot my computer.

The most common place was Valdraken. DX11 and DX12 - same **bleep**.

Also Witcher 3 New Gen DX12 was having the same issue. Sometimes it was an app crash, but mostly just reboots. On DX11 it was okay.

With recent driver 24.1.1 seems like it fixed issues for me. Did not so much testing, but with previous drivers it was an instant failure.

0 Likes
Freajka
Adept I

I am joining the club. Happens with my 5700XT and 7900XTX for at least half an year.

The new driver, 24.1.1, does NOT fix it for me.

Atl126
Journeyman III

Here after new amd driver update. 7800 XT and 7800x3d issue still occurs. Hoping I can sell my 7800 XT and get an Nvidia GPU.

Update: switching to DX11 in wow game settings has fixed it for me. I understand this does not fix it for everyone, but if you haven't tried it yet, it's worth a shot. I also capped my frames to 165 (my monitors refresh rate)

0 Likes
rdawise
Adept I

Joining the club here is well. So many odd issues on my 7900XT. Still limited to DX11 in World of Warcraft for fear of another crash. 

I specifically stayed team red by of my past experiences, but am thinking about jumping ship as well. The cost benefit is not worth these issues. Nvidia may nickel and dime their customers. but at least they have enough care to produce stable products while doing so....

im using latest driver with a driver only install, rebar on. no crashes going on 4 days after a spat of constant driver reboots.

0 Likes

Is this with DX11 or DX12? I get no crashes now in DX11, but with DX12 it took a long time to start once again. After this happened, was scared to continue with DX12.

0 Likes
farske
Adept II

Been playing on a brand new fresh install Windows 11.

Been about a week of playing regular.

Last night was my first crash.

Issues back!

Lif3Forc3
Adept I

Yep same with 7600 bought card for older pc had issues assumed it was bottlenecking. Bought whole new MB / Ram / CPU / M2 - the works. Same issue just put the order in for 4070 first and last Radeon I will ever buy. What a joke to not even reply about the issues and have it affection your whole range of cards. How is this not a class action or something talk about sold a product that does not do what its supposed to do. Now ill have to try bug MSI / Best buy to get my money back.... Yay.

farske
Adept II

Its got worse of the last few days. Constant crashes.

Driving me mad.

Going to RMA this card too

0 Likes

MSI - We don't do refunds, Best Buy Ca - its 5 months old we don't refund past 30 days........ avion visa charge back it is! There is a little thing called a product not doing what its supposed to do that retailers really should start to look at. If you want to sell products that are known to be having major issues maybe stop selling them or push people to the other cards. Installed my 4070 everything runs perfect.... crazy right.

0 Likes
ulasamosa
Journeyman III

7900 XTX, recent driver didn't fix anything, last driver crashed randomly on WoW as well.  Before that it was fine.  I don't know if AMD broke it or if Blizz did something in a patch but its an absolute joke at this point.  Normally its maybe once a day, which while annoying, I can live with.  It's happened 5x today. Random locations doing random things, it is not able to be replicated at all. 

0 Likes

even once  day is not something I'm going to live with, it shouldn't be allowed these are expensive pc parts and to just ignore the problem is BS

0 Likes
Zi
Journeyman III

I've been having the same issues as well, ever since 10.2.  The issue is completely RANDOM.  I cannot figure out what is causing the crash as the frequency, location, how long I've had the game open, or what I'm doing  doesn't seem to have any bearing on the crashes happening.  Sometimes I'll have a crash not too long after opening the game and other times after a few hours, other times I'll go a day or two without a crash playing for several hours.  It's madding how random this is.  When the crash does happen the screen goes black, sound usually continues and I can hear the game in the background usually still playing as if nothing is wrong, and it stays black for several seconds before AMD bug report will pop up followed by the game a few seconds after.  All other applications I have open will also be closed, usually Discord sometimes chrome.  I've noticed that if I try to click anything when this is happening it will usually  lead to a complete crash and I'll have to do a full system restart. 

There are other posts on the Blizzard forums about this happing as well.  There doesn't seem to be much response from tech support other than they know of the problem with Dx12 being a problem with AMD cards.  It'd be extremely nice if you both (AMD and Blizzard) could communicate that you're looking into it and exchanging info on what has changed since these recent patches.  It's quite frustrating as a customer not only informing you ourselves but seeing all these other customers with the same issue and we don't get any acknowledgment of the issue being know about.

7900xt

5800x3d

Has happened with the last 3 driver releases, currently 24.1.1 

0 Likes

Yeah I have the same thing.

I went with a theory it was addons but after running with default ui I still had the issue.

I went with a theory it was drivers, but Iv'e tried all sorts.

The thing that makes me even more frustrated is I have two identical pcs.

One does not have this issue.

The other does.

So I can only logically assume it is hardware?

0 Likes
Zi
Journeyman III

Wild, do you run the game on both regularly?  Just curious if one might be experiencing crashes because it's only running long enough/ consistently enough.  When you say identical, same Mobo, ram, PSU?

I was thinking it was hardware compatibility too for a while but, with this many people reporting the same issue with so many different hardware configurations I just honestly don't know.  I've seen 750-1200w PSU, 16-64 gb ram, b550 b650 x570 x670 chip sets, 5000 and 7000 series processors.  The GPUs seem to be the only common variable I've seen.  Just really screams driver compatibility to me.  But I'm no expert.  I'd be really curious if you have no issues with a second identical build.

0 Likes

Identical everything.

Built 2 machines, same kit.

The only difference is perhiphals, mouse, keyboard, monitor.

Both are used in similar periods, in fact the one that works flawlessly is probably used more, for obvious reasons.

0 Likes

Are the AMD driver versions the same? Are the driver settings and game settings the same?

0 Likes
farske
Adept II

I was told by my vendor upon RMA that the issue was the card was crashing out at anything above 1080p

What resolutions are you lot running?

0 Likes

4k, mate, but that is a load of horsesh*t.

0 Likes
willieaames
Adept I

I’ve ran into one crash so far, flying though the cavern entrance from Azure Span my camera froze in place, my character disappeared and I couldn’t move my camera or interact with the game (could open my map, bags and menus but couldn’t interact with anything past that). Hard closed the game and when I came back everything was fine.

0 Likes
-Holo-
Adept I

Can join in here aswell with this crap happening. driver crashed some 4 times in 30 minutes, I'm getting flashbacks of when I dumped AMDgraphics last time for constant driver crashing in WoW some 10 years ago.
This is just plain awful.

0 Likes
Blasphemer
Journeyman III

7900XT

5800X3D

Same issue with most of the people. Game crashes randomly . Initially it was happening once in 2-3 days . Now its happening everyday and more than once .

Tried all possible "fixes" i could find online . Capped fps ,dx11 , blah blah blah . There is no fix. It crashes even on DX11 PLUS me as a customer should not spend my time troubleshooting something that should be working day1.

NGL this is my first AMD card EVER . If they don't fix this soon it will be my last .

Also to add something .Once the crash happens it resets my cards tuning from overclocked to manual . I also noticed after the crash my CPU is constantly at 100% utilization , therefore i need to RR my PC .

This is so unacceptable for the money we spend on this bs .