cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Viteel
Adept I

AMD update BSOD halfway

After experiencing several driver timeouts while playing Halo MCC which crashed my game several times I go to check the adrenaline software and see there’s a new update released on the 25th. I go to update my drivers thinking this will fix the problem but halfway through the install my computer blue screens causing a BSOD. Of course I’m panicking because this is my brand new $2000 build and I’ve been gaming fine for the past month with no issues except the debug lights come on during post when I boot. I have no choice but to reinstall windows on my usb after the BSOD as I can’t do a system restore due to not knowing my old password. So now I have two operating systems and when I get on my desktop I have to reinstall my NETGEAR wifi drivers but when I do that on my usb halfway through my pc blue screens again. I am freaking out and terrified on what is going on and have no idea what the issue is. I’ve read several Reddit forums and it seems many people have had the driver timeout thing but this BSOD scared me to death. Please help me!

0 Likes
2 Replies
432hz
Adept III

First, the good news is your pc's hardware is most likely still perfectly fine. It should just be a matter of sorting out the software issues.

Since you now have "two operating systems", at this point, the easiest solution is likely going to be:

1. Back up any data / files you want to keep to an external drive or secondary drive.
  2. Fully erase your current Windows installation(s)
  3. Do a clean install of Windows. You don't want "2 operating systems" floating around on your pc -- you want 1 properly functioning operating system.

There are many guides out there how to do the above and variations of the above. You'll have to research and determine what's right for you and your setup.

Other Info:

• For future reference, always do a full uninstall of your current GPU drivers using DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility in safe mode before installing a different version or upgrading to a new version.
  • Run DISM and SFC first rather than going straight for the Windows reinstall. These 2 tools will scan for and repair any broken Windows core files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-...
  • My mobo (MSI Mortar B760m) displays status lights every time it boots as it steps through the boot sequence. Status lights alone during boot don't necessarily mean there is something wrong with your hardware.
  • Sometimes when a computer crashes / crashes multiple times, the mobo will enter a "retraining" mode where it will take noticeably longer to boot while it retrains the RAM, etc.
    • During this time it may seem to reboot once or twice on its own during the boot process before loading Windows. This is normal.
    • If the computer reboots more than 3+ times before loading Windows, then it may be stuck in a boot loop. Clear your CMOS and try again.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes

Thank you I will try this as soon as I get home

0 Likes