cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Draxirch
Challenger

AMD RX 7000 series - Why is it so bad? Timeouts and Game Crashes.

Now I may own a ASUS ROG ALLY which has a modified Ryzen chip that just so happens to fall under the cursed RX7000 series and I know that people will say this has nothing to do with AMD bug it does! AMD supply the Graphics therefore this is entirely on them.

These cards are known to have display driver timeouts with certain games that run DX12, and I'm starting to regret investing in the Ally because I cannot enjoy the one series to its fullest. Say it with me. KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5+2.5, shocking right? Who hasn't reported an issue with this yet...

It also seems Fortnite AND World of Warcraft gave issues, two huge games with a massive user base, this is utterly unacceptable as they are HUGE. There may be others, apparently Penny's Big Breakaway has also got timeout issues from what I saw on Reddit?

I just wish AMD would actually acknowledge it as an "Issue" under the issues listed with drivers.

Its almost like... they just don't care about the problems consumers have with expensive graphics cards up to £1000 for one, if I wasn't so taken with how much I game on my Rog Ally I would return it and get my money back because quite frankly I'm disappointed in the support it gets and how SLOW it is, and I know that one is on Asus. But AMD need to realise that the RX7000 series is fundamentally flawed and needs to be addressed badly.

You'll lose customers and you'll also lose support.

Please acknowledge these are issues and promptly address them. I want to enjoy my purchase to its fullest and I CANNOT in good faith while it has such a dire issue that has been left unresolved for months.

This is the last message on this matter.

I'm sick of it and after this I give up.

Call it whiny or whatever but I can guarantee there are MANY others who have the exact same problem as me.

30 Replies
Draxirch
Challenger

Here's some info about the crashes regarding Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 I'll break it down as clearly as I can.

* It seems to happen randomly, refresh rate being on has a HUGE factor in it as it crashes more often with it on.

* Playing at higher resolutions also crash the game more frequently.

* There are no work arounds for this.

Game 1- Kingdom Hearts 1 Finsl Mix.

Playing at anything higher than 720p will result in a crash on Destiny Islands. PAUSING with refresh rate on results in the game blurring and crashing. At random you will crash on the Donald in Disney Castle cutscene. Deep Jungle... oh Deep Jungle... crashes on the cutscene before Clayton boss, crashes on the cutscene after (consistently). There are no ways to eliminate this crash, 60 fps crash, 120 fps crash, unlocked? Crash. It is POT LUCK to get passed this fight without crashing either before OR after it.

Game 2 - Kingdom Hearts Rechain of Memories

This game is the worst of the bunch next to birth by sleep which we will get to. It will crash whenever you enter a heartless battles ALWAYS if you set the fps to 60 or 120, unlocked you can fight but you will savor the little time you had as your next battle may crash on the transition screen at random.

Game 3 - Kingdom Hearts II FINAL MIX

This one's a mixed bag. Definitely turn off Refresh Rate or you will crash frequently but even that won't save you, this one is crash city in Twilight Town.

Without unlocking the cutscene fps you will crash ALWAYS on a cutscene with Kairi and Selphie. You'll crash randomly in this scene if your fps is set to 60 or 120, unlocked seems to work.... but then you get into issue 2....the infamous train crash, just by ENTERING the train and going back out through the other door you will timeout the driver ALWAYS. sometimes you'll be lucky to get through but don't count your blessings, this usually is greeted with a crash immediately after.

Beasts Castle fighting Dark Thorn will result in a timeout crash on anything OTHER THAN unlocked fps.

Game 4 - Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix

Play with refresh rate on for this title, this one seems to be fine for the most part....but if you play with refresh rate off prepare for trouble and make it a seizure stutter fest which WILL result in a crash. I've not ran into much with this one admittingly, but I have heard that people crash on the tutorial and yes this is also true, the tutorial will usually crash for no reason, I got past with some luck.

These are what I know so far.

A huge list of issues and none that are fixable in some way.

Please address this!

The issue with AMD's RX 7000 series, particularly concerning timeouts and game crashes, is undeniably frustrating. The ASUS ROG Ally, equipped with a modified Ryzen chip falling under this series, is unfortunately affected. Games like Storyline of Shadow Fight 2 and Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 are impacted, with reported problems extending to popular titles like Fortnite and World of Warcraft, highlighting the widespread nature of the issue. Despite the significant investment consumers make in these high-end graphics cards, the lack of acknowledgment and prompt resolution from AMD is disappointing. While some performance issues may be attributed to ASUS, the fundamental flaws of the RX 7000 series demand urgent attention from AMD. Without proper acknowledgment and resolution, they risk alienating customers and losing support. It's a plea echoed by many users who simply want to enjoy their purchases without the hindrance of persistent technical issues.

Omgnoway
Adept III

use DDU clean out drivers and install 23.11.1 drivers works perfect dont install new drivers

0 Likes

I...have tried that already...

It crashes just as much as the newer drivers tho...

Unless you can show me it doesn't crash.

0 Likes

did you use DDU to clean out your previous drivers before installing?

I had to run DDU twice in safe mode first time didn't take

0 Likes

I'll try again.

0 Likes

let me know how it goes

0 Likes

Am I right to assume you install the driver over the Microsoft basic driver with AMD Radeon (TM) 780M Graphics one?

I'm about to install it.

Update: Tried Rechain of Memories, crashes on the first shadow battle, this solution does not work on the Rog Ally I don't think.

20240226_160524.jpg

AMD will need to take a deeper look at this...

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

In your particular instance, I would blame ASUS more than AMD. You really should be on the support line with ASUS for that device. That game is on PS and XBOX which are all AMD based hardware I think, and I do not think the users are having this issue you have.

Looking at drivers from ASUS (assuming you have the 2023 rog ally), I can see a critical bios/firmware update. I would use all drivers listed on the ASUS website for this device, not generic AMD ones. The latest gpu driver appears to be from Jan.

Then for additional help, I would use the reddit "ROGAlly" forum. Sounds like this thing has a lot of issues.

0 Likes

I actually have attempted to reach out to Square Enix, Asus wouldn't do anything about it and pointed me to asking AMD as they do the Graphics driver for the Ally, it's all a wild goose chase until someone actually looks into the issue directly...

0 Likes

Did you apply the latest firmware, and use the listed drivers from ASUS rog ally website? I really suspect that it is a device issue like heat or memory.

Also, if you are crashing a lot on windows, it's always good to sfc and dism commands to make sure windows install is good.

0 Likes
Klaffatron
Journeyman III

I wouldn't blame ASUS on this since this is indeed a AMD issue. 
I can't play Kingdom Hearts on my ROG Ally or my stationary PC which has a RX 7900 XT. 

So the bugs and crashes are not specific for the ROG Ally but for the entire line of 7000 series GPUs. 

Yup this is indeed on AMDs side.

Asus manufactured the Ally but it uses AMD Graphics so it falls on AMD to fix it.

What infuriates me is the fact this doesn't even seem like an issue to them. No acknowledgement, nothing.

Its just a meme now that Roxas cannot travel on a train without crashing the game.

I also dubbed Deep Jungle, Deep Freeze. Because of how badly it locks up against Clayton.

I'm also tired of reasoning and begging them to finally get their sh*t together. I've sold my AsRock 7900 XTX OC for a loss during christmas because of Radeon Graphic Division's carelessness.

It's always the same old cliche with AMD: no response, no counter, no solution, no workaround. Might as well sell their ATi GPU IP licenses to Intel Arc, Chinese Moore's Thread or even nVIDIA GeForce and focus solely on CPU where they're doing a spectacular job atm.

0 Likes

It is a shame, I've asked them a lot to try to fix this, but it never seems to get through...

The situation is the same in the RX 6800m, my problems have only grown more with the new incoming updates.

0 Likes

It does make me wonder what is "wrong" with this collection that it causes that timeout of the display driver amdwu23g?

0 Likes
ReViolent
Adept I

If you have Adrenaline software on it, check the GPU Max Frequency by enabling "Manual Tuning" then enabling "GPU Tuning" and turning on "Advanced Control". 
All this can be found in the "Performance" tab in Adrenaline. 
Your settings should be set to "Max Frequency (MHz): 2500MHz" according to Tech Radar.

If its any higher, that's most likely the culprit.

0 Likes

Were it only that simple.

Asus Rog Ally doesn't support tuning (yet)

0 Likes
Draxirch
Challenger

Solution found for the most part!

AFMF must be enabled and Turn off all vsync options.

Use unlocked fps with no refresh rate, 120hz and 720p fullscreen or borderless don't use Windowed as it won't allow for the AFMF to kick in.

I can safely battle heartless in Rechain now.

Deep Jungle still refuses to work properly so just skip that cutscene after you beat Clayton.

This seems to resolve the instability with the game ten fold. So I'm deeming this a solution.

Ended up fixing the issue yourself. Helluva job!

0 Likes

It works to a degree but it still crashes at random so it's a pseudo solution.

0 Likes

If you can, try uninstalling the driver with DDU and installing the 23.11.1 driver. This solution works for Shadow of Tomb raider. Since it's a game from the same company, it might work.

0 Likes

I've been told this many times, this doesn't work with the Ally for some reason. It's related to DirectX12 games.

TMTGGG
Adept II

I wanted to give them a 2nd chance so bad as the owner of ATi 9700 Pro, my 1st ever GPU.

But they just kept ignoring customers requests for both adding all NVIDIA-like features and fixing weeks-long issues.

This whole silent treatment is the worst offensive thing they can do to loyal customers who kept letting them know the state they're in vs competitor's.

0 Likes

It truly is a shame.

0 Likes
Draxirch
Challenger

Please use the bug report tool and report all bugs in Kingdom Hearts to AMD. Its high time this was put to rest!

0 Likes
yuver
Journeyman III

I fixed enabling amd antilag, vsync force adrenaline, and disable In Screen option = Gpu Scaling and integer scaling.. Sorry for my english- and try reduce gpu clock or set you values fabrique-Amd adrenaline assign values elevates

Set game DX12

testing 24.4.1 and 24.3.1

0 Likes
Rin22
Journeyman III

Lads, i think i found a solution (at least it worked for me) i put in the bios the following settings

Game mode/turbo: off

XMP: off

Cpu frecuency: auto

basically i put every tuning in the bios at default, i been plaing kh1 whit no truble now for an hour and a half and no crashes, try if this work for you, i know for some games is a bother to have all tuning to default, but in this case worked for me. 

0 Likes

I have fixed by enabling amd antilag,

0 Likes