Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

CPU Frequency: Hall of Fame

Hi, Everyone,

While reading this article, I learned about world records. As you may know, I’m new to Overclocking and I simply didn’t know about world records. From my old days, I remember going over 5Ghz was a major achievement.

That said, I’m happy to see that the good old AMD FX CPUs dominate the Top 20 list!

Overclock_Chart_HWBOT.jpg

Source: https://hwbot.org/benchmark/cpu_frequency/halloffame 

I have a few questions for you:

1 – When shooting for a world record, does the voltage matter? Meaning, does the voltage have to be as low as possible while aiming for the higher clock speed?

2 – When speaking of the world record, are we referring to the Guinness World Record?

3 – Lastly, which tools and/or websites are considered “official” by overclockers?

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
6 Replies
red5
Miniboss

They have to raise the voltage quite a bit to reach those frequencies. That's why liquid nitrogen is required for cooling. They're basically cooking the processor.

Ryzen 5800X - Sapphire 6900XT Toxic Limited Edition
Ryzen 5600G - MSI Radeon 6600
Ryzen 5500 - Radeon 5500XT
Ryzen 5600 - AMD Radeon 6800XT
Ryzen ? - AMD Radeon 6900XT liquid cooled
0 Likes
RiverMouth
Adept I

o7

I am no oc expert, i have only overclocked with air and water.

1Yes
1.5No
2No

Cinebench is a good tool to quantify your cpu performance.

Key-J
Miniboss

Related question - other than going for some kind of world record. What would be the feasible computing advantage to run a CPU as 8GhZ consistently?

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
0 Likes

It would perform faster

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I just want to see how the new Ryzen Chips overclock. I know AMD is speaking about memory overclocking being great on Zen4 but I want to see CPU frequencies. 

0 Likes
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Thank you, guys! I'm learning! 

And I'm also interested in the answer to the question by @Key-J ...

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT