cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Rebuilding TOTB (Thinking Outside The Box) with mostly parts on-hand!

So, I have some leftover computer parts on hand from my recent builds / rebuilds.  I have parts from prizes I won in this AMD Support Forum, such as when I won Rig of the Month with Purrfection in September 2022.  And I have an older AMD FX computer installed into my workbench shelf called TOTB (Thinking Outside The Box), which had replaced the older flatbed scanner called Scan-a-Tron-2 a few years ago.  Anyway, the modern AMD CPUs, meaning the Ryzen series, are much faster than the AMD FX series of CPUs, so I decided to go for a major upgrade.  I would keep the same piece of plywood and aluminum bars frame structure from TOTB, and pull out the old motherboard.  I could even keep those spinning hard drives (HDD) mounted on the plywood, as they are fine for gaming and data drives.

First order of business was to deal with this Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 motherboard.  It had a very old BIOS and I wanted to run an AMD Ryzen 5 5600 CPU.  So I had to deal with installing first the Ryzen 7 1800X CPU, flash the BIOS, and then install the Ryzen 5 5600 CPU.  But it wasn't so easy you see.  When I tried to flash to the latest BIOS after booting into the old BIOS while on the 1800X CPU, it kept telling me the BIOS image was bad or corrupt.  So I downloaded it again and once more I got the same message.  I then tried a few of the BIOS files before the latest one (from February 2023), and they didn't run either.  Eventually I noticed that I had to first flash to a much earlier BIOS from 2021, then I could flash to the latest BIOS.  I had to do this on the 1800X CPU, because I wanted to install Windows 11 on a new M.2 drive, and Windows 11 doesn't approve of the older 1800X CPU.  Anyway, I got to the latest BIOS and then installed the 5600 CPU, so it's all good now.  I'm initially using the stock AMD CPU cooler, and I noticed the 1800X was running around 54 C when idle.  That's too hot for me.  

More to follow....

TOTB is shown in this picture, mounted into my workbench behind that monitor.TOTB is shown in this picture, mounted into my workbench behind that monitor.My two CPUs to play with, the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and Ryzen 5 5600.My two CPUs to play with, the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and Ryzen 5 5600.Here is the motherboard I won as a prize.Here is the motherboard I won as a prize.I will use this MSI RX580 video card that's leftover from a recent rebuild.I will use this MSI RX580 video card that's leftover from a recent rebuild.Getting ready to install some parts.Getting ready to install some parts.First I will install the Ryzen 7 1800X.First I will install the Ryzen 7 1800X.I spent about $100 here on the M.2 drive and the RAM.  CPU is installed.I spent about $100 here on the M.2 drive and the RAM. CPU is installed.Using a free M.2 heatsink from Newegg, I'm installing this 2 TB M.2 drive.Using a free M.2 heatsink from Newegg, I'm installing this 2 TB M.2 drive.After pulling TOTB from the workbench to use the PSU, I have booted into the original BIOS from 2017 I think.After pulling TOTB from the workbench to use the PSU, I have booted into the original BIOS from 2017 I think.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
10 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Always a joy to see your builds here.

Keep them coming ; -) 

The Englishman
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

More coming tomorrow.  

I first flashed the BIOS to the F31 version.  That was successful.I first flashed the BIOS to the F31 version. That was successful.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Next up was to again attempt to flash to the current BIOS (F52i from February 2023).  This time it was successful.  Now I could pull out the Ryzen 7 1800X and put in the Ryzen 5 5600 CPU.  I noticed when I booted up that this CPU was running a bit cooler than the 1800X was.  I had already ordered a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 RGB cooler in black, so I was still going to replace the stock AMD cooler.   Anyway, I was now ready to load Windows 11 onto the M.2 drive, and this will be the second time I've reused a Windows 11 USB install drive and an online purchase of a Windows 11 Home key (for $37.52 after fees).  It installed fine and it was time for a glass of wine.  This was all happening Wednesday, 02 August 2023.  It was a good day.

Still on the Ryzen 7 1800X, I'm flashing to the latest BIOS from February 2023.Still on the Ryzen 7 1800X, I'm flashing to the latest BIOS from February 2023.Ok, there you go!  We have the F52i BIOS installed.  I can swap the CPUs now....Ok, there you go! We have the F52i BIOS installed. I can swap the CPUs now....The Ryzen 5 5600 looks nice and comfy in the AM-4 socket.The Ryzen 5 5600 looks nice and comfy in the AM-4 socket.Now I have Windows 11 installed.  Everything was done on the workbench, not inside a case.  That's how I roll.Now I have Windows 11 installed. Everything was done on the workbench, not inside a case. That's how I roll.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

With the new components up and running, it was now time to place them on the plywood base of TOTB, which meant pulling off the old motherboard, CPU cooler and video card.  It was hard to pull the plywood out of the shelf unit back on Wednesday (as I needed to use the PSU for the new build), because my left thumb had become infected somehow over the previous weekend.  I did see a doctor on Monday (end of July 2023) and he prescribed antibiotics for the infection.  It sure was hurting me though and it was hard to hold things due to the pain.  But I powered through it and I won't show you any pictures of what came out of the bulge on my thumb when I eventually popped it on 04 August 2023.  It feels much better now.

Anyway, I installed the new components onto the plywood on Thursday, 03 August 2023.  It went pretty well and I used an old (early version LED) fan mounted to the video card to keep air moving over the motherboard and it's M.2 heatsink.  The next step would be to install the new CPU cooler and then place this build back into the shelf unit; the cooler was due to arrive on 04 August 2023.  I hate waiting.....

Here's TOTB pulled out of the shelf unit.  I need to pull off that motherboard.Here's TOTB pulled out of the shelf unit. I need to pull off that motherboard.This is the hole in the shelf unit above my workbench.  It's held two versions of Scan-a-Tron and the original components of TOTB.This is the hole in the shelf unit above my workbench. It's held two versions of Scan-a-Tron and the original components of TOTB.Starting to remove the old components....Starting to remove the old components....New components now mounted and it still boots into Windows 11 successfully.New components now mounted and it still boots into Windows 11 successfully.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Ah, my new CPU cooler arrived early Friday (04 August 2023) afternoon.  Wait a minute, this one is white and I ordered the black one!  Oh, I see what happened.  The UPC / Product label is wrong.  It says this is the black version and it's on the white version box.  Well, I can still use it, but maybe the color isn't the best choice....

Or is it?  I discovered another problem - a bigger problem actually.  The RGB connector on the fan plugs into the 5 V addressable RGB connector on a motherboard.  But my motherboard only has the 12 V RGB (non-addressable) connectors.  I cannot plug this LED fan into the motherboard at all.  Crap.

Hey, I ordered the black version and this one is white!Hey, I ordered the black version and this one is white!So, that's why I got the wrong color.  The UPC / Product code sticker is wrong for the box I received.So, that's why I got the wrong color. The UPC / Product code sticker is wrong for the box I received.The white CPU cooler still looks slick, but wait a minute, that LED fan won't plug into my motherboard.  I should have researched that.The white CPU cooler still looks slick, but wait a minute, that LED fan won't plug into my motherboard. I should have researched that.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

So, I remembered that I had three RGB fans from the earlier version of TOTB that I wasn't planning to reuse.  Well, now I was changing my mind and I decided to use them.  I would install two of these mostly black fans on the CPU cooler and the other one would replace the cheap LED fan mounted to the end of the video card.  

Mounting hardware consisted mainly of zip-ties!  Boy, these come in handy because CoolerMaster only gives you two of those fan spring-wire clips for the one fan they supply and I had a second fan to attach.  Also, my custom attachment to the end of the video card wasn't going to be easy with real mounting brackets.  And, to top it off, I am cheap.  I'll go with stuff I have on hand at times like these.

Time to remove the stock AMD CPU cooler.  Hey, that MSI RX580 video card is white and black.....Time to remove the stock AMD CPU cooler. Hey, that MSI RX580 video card is white and black.....Original CPU cooler removed and guess what?  The backing plate dropped down to the plywood base.  Am I going to pull that motherboard off to get the CPU cooler screwed down?  No, I'm not.  I just slid a ruler under the motherboard and lifted up the backing plate with one hand as I started the screws of the new CPU cooler with the other hand.Original CPU cooler removed and guess what? The backing plate dropped down to the plywood base. Am I going to pull that motherboard off to get the CPU cooler screwed down? No, I'm not. I just slid a ruler under the motherboard and lifted up the backing plate with one hand as I started the screws of the new CPU cooler with the other hand.Ok,  the CoolerMaster CPU cooler is installed.  Now I must attach the fans to it and swap out that other fan that it zip-tied to the end of the video card.Ok, the CoolerMaster CPU cooler is installed. Now I must attach the fans to it and swap out that other fan that it zip-tied to the end of the video card.If I had four spring-wire clips for fans, I wouldn't need to zip-tie one of the fans to the CPU cooler.  It is what it is.If I had four spring-wire clips for fans, I wouldn't need to zip-tie one of the fans to the CPU cooler. It is what it is.This fan gets to use the spring-wire clips.  I actually trust the zip-ties more though.This fan gets to use the spring-wire clips. I actually trust the zip-ties more though.The third RGB fan is installed with zip-ties and another boot check to ensure I didn't break anything.The third RGB fan is installed with zip-ties and another boot check to ensure I didn't break anything.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Now it's time to get this computer placed back into the shelving unit.  Not an easy task - remember I had an injured thumb on my left hand?  I didn't forget about it.  Anyway, I had to climb up on the workbench and muscle the plywood frame up onto the hooks in the back.  Then I saw that a few PSU cables were not long enough to go behind the motherboard, so I had to disconnect them and route them around the front, behind the video card.  I won't win any 'cable management' contests with his upgrade, but I got it installed and running smoothly.  Another viable gaming computer for my upcoming Labor Day LAN party!  

So this rebuild project was completed Friday night (04 August 2023).  I even had time to game a bit on the new build before I went upstairs to watch a Clint Eastwood movie (High Plains Drifter) that I've seen maybe a dozen times.  My wife and her girlfriend Lynn were at a performance in The Kennedy Center.  They dined at the restaurant in The Watergate Hotel (remember Nixon?) while I ate a sandwich.  But I was happy.

Another angle to show off the LED lighting (courtesy of IKEA) beneath the plywood base.Another angle to show off the LED lighting (courtesy of IKEA) beneath the plywood base.Ok, I didn't take pictures while I struggled to get this computer back onto the hooks.  Here it is after I connected the inputs and booted it up.Ok, I didn't take pictures while I struggled to get this computer back onto the hooks. Here it is after I connected the inputs and booted it up.These RGB fans have several modes you can select.  This color spiral mode looks pretty sweet.  The IKEA lighting behind the motherboard is independent but it has it's own selectable modes of operation.These RGB fans have several modes you can select. This color spiral mode looks pretty sweet. The IKEA lighting behind the motherboard is independent but it has it's own selectable modes of operation.Time for some gaming - World of Tanks - Blitz is my current favorite game.Time for some gaming - World of Tanks - Blitz is my current favorite game.My Albert Einstein figurine is back in place.  He had more hair than I do but I'm better at building computers.My Albert Einstein figurine is back in place. He had more hair than I do but I'm better at building computers.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Something arrived from Amazon this morning (0800), something I ordered yesterday.  Amazon spoils me.  Anyway, I hope to install it this afternoon.

Can you guess what this item is?  What is something that will improve the gaming experience of this computer?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Ok,  time to spill my guts to the AMD public.  What would improve my gaming experience on this computer you might ask?  A new video card perhaps?  Nope. I'm cheap, and somewhat constrained by my spousal unit.  Instead, I wanted to be more comfortable while gaming.  I don't particularly like looking up at the monitor all the time.  I like it in front of me.  But my previous mount for the monitor would not lower the screen at all.  I needed to fix that.  So I ordered a new monitor mounting arm from Amazon yesterday and installed it today.  This one allows me to move the monitor up and out of the way when I'm not on this computer, but I can also bring it down to eye-level when I am gaming while sitting at my workbench.  Here's the install pictures....

This box arrived at 0800 from Amazon.This box arrived at 0800 from Amazon.Here are the parts I must assemble somehow....Here are the parts I must assemble somehow....Ok, original monitor removed from TOTB-2.Ok, original monitor removed from TOTB-2.I need to get this mounted onto the shelving unit.I need to get this mounted onto the shelving unit.A drill will be necessary for the deep holes required of the mounting screws.A drill will be necessary for the deep holes required of the mounting screws.There you go, a display mounting bracket that moves down and up when you need it.There you go, a display mounting bracket that moves down and up when you need it.Time to try it out with a game, meaning of course, World of Tanks - Blitz.  Notice my wine is already drunk.Time to try it out with a game, meaning of course, World of Tanks - Blitz. Notice my wine is already drunk.Yes, I am doing well here.  I am a legend in my own mind you see.Yes, I am doing well here. I am a legend in my own mind you see.With the original TOTB, I would trip something if more than 2 of the 4 computers here were powered up at the same time.  Now I can have all 4 computers running with no problems.  Go figure.With the original TOTB, I would trip something if more than 2 of the 4 computers here were powered up at the same time. Now I can have all 4 computers running with no problems. Go figure.

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I've updated my website to include the rebuild of TOTB.  Give it a look if you have a few minutes.  

The original TOTB was built into a plastic tub and hung on the wall in our den.  When my Scan-a-Tron needed replacement, I took TOTB out of the plastic tub and placed the plywood base into my shelving unit above the workbench in our basement storage room.  Now I have used that plywood base to support a new motherboard, CPU, RAM and CPU cooler.  I even upgraded the video card.  This machine is good for 1080p gaming.

TOTB was my second build intended to be mounted on a wall.TOTB was my second build intended to be mounted on a wall.

0 Likes